Default Gold Coast Titans halfback Kane Elgey has the maturity and attitude to captain the cl

KANE Elgey broke into the Titans team like a gift from heaven in 2015.

The 21-year-old showed maturity beyond his years to lead the down-and-out Titans around the paddock. Not as the halfback they wanted but the one they needed.

In his 16 games for the Titans Elgey scored six tries and kicked 10 goals while leading the busted and broken team around as the chief playmaker towards the end of the season.

It’s this kind of maturity that makes Mark Gasnier believe he could captain the club in the future.

Tune into our Titans club day on Fox Sports 1 from 10am (EST) today, featuring 10 classic Titans matches and finishing with the club’s 2015 season review from 8pm (EST)!

“You wouldn’t want to give him the responsibility too early, I think he will be at some stage throughout his future,” Gasnier said.

“They can build a team around this guy.”

The Titans are yet to announce their captain for the 2016 season and either Greg Bird or Dave Shillington is expected to take the reigns.

Matt Russell joins Ben Glover and Nathan Ryan for a Summer Special Market Watch podcast to look at all the big off-season player moves and discuss how James Roberts quitting the Titans will impact the transfer market.

However, Gasnier thinks the club will eventually look to Elgey when the time comes.

“The maturity he showed, particularly for a while there he was just happy to play a role and get the team around the park and then all of a sudden he’s taking short sides and throwing cut out balls and pushing up in close support,” Gasnier said.

“After three or four weeks of consistent first grade he became their go-to man, particularly when Sezer was out.

“His biggest strength was he showed maturity beyond his years.

“To get to certain situations on the field and to execute them under pressure, it says a lot about a guys temperament and I think Kane Elgey has got a great temperament to go on to bigger and better things.”

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/gold-coast-titans-halfback-kane-elgey-has-the-maturity-and-attitude-to-captain-the-club-in-the-future/story-e6frf3ou-1227640827209

Jimmy is gone, Elgey is still our last shining light for the Titans.

Hopes he has a standout season to shut up all the trash talking media.

In Elgey we trust!

Junior

Elgey, Tyrone Roberts and (at some point) Ashley Taylor are the reasons why I'm optimistic about 2016. We need playmakers, and that's what these guys are. I guarantee that we will see some exciting, attacking flare from the Titans next season. My only (and major) concern is our defense. For every amazing Elgey cut-out pass I saw this year, there were ten or twenty or thirty stupid @#$%ing missed tackles! Cut down on that crap, and I'm optimistic we could maybe squeeze into the eight next season.