Default Elgey to lead Titans revival from halfback

Kane Elgey to play at halfback over Tyrone Roberts, Ashley Taylor
    December 4, 2015 6:00pm
    Travis Meyn The Courier-Mail

TITANS coach Neil Henry has placed his faith in Kane Elgey to lead the Gold Coast’s revival, entrusting the rookie playmaker with the coveted No. 7 jersey.

Elgey will stave off advances from Newcastle recruit Tyrone Roberts and Junior Kangaroos star Ashley Taylor to retain the jersey he made his own last season.

The Titans have struggled to field a consistent halfback since Scott Prince’s departure in 2012.

Albert Kelly showed flashes of brilliance without being consistent and Aidan Sezer’s move to Canberra was a huge blow to suffer after the Daly Cherry-Evans debacle.

Elgey was one of few shining lights in a tough 2015 season for the Titans, making his debut in round four and playing 16 NRL games.

The 21-year-old has returned to pre-season training 3kg heavier (87kg) but just as fit in a sign he’s determined to fast track his development in one of the most important positions on the field.

“He’s the incumbent and showed enough throughout the year to show he can hold down the position,” Henry said when asked if Elgey would wear the No. 7 next year.

“I’d imagine it’d be hard to get it off him.

“He’s certainly done a bit of work over the off-season. He’s leading our running groups which is great and that’s what you want from your halfback because he’s got to be on the ball.”

Elgey is a free agent for 2017 and his management has put contract negotiations on hold until the new year.

The Gold Coast product is happy at home and said Henry’s faith in his ability was pleasing to hear.

“The faith he has helps me with confidence,” Elgey said.

“I’m a confidence player and him believing in me will help my game.

“I’ve still got something to prove. Everyone says the second year is the hardest and you can fade away.

“I’m pretty determined to make sure that doesn’t happen.

“You’ve got to be consistent in first grade.”

Henry sees a big future in Elgey, so much so he made him a leader at the team’s recent army-style bootcamp in the Gold Coast hinterland.

He has been setting the pace at training and has already struck up an exciting combination with Roberts, who will play five-eighth alongside him.

“We’ve done a fair bit of ball-work surprisingly,” Elgey said.

“We got the ball in our hands in week one.

“Tyrone’s got incredible skills and once Ash fixes his hand up, he’s going to be there as well.

“There’s going to be some competition for the spots.”

Taylor is recovering from a hand injury he sustained in his NRL debut last season and the 20-year-old is due to begin full contact training before the Christmas break.

“We want a bit of competition there (halves),” Henry said.

“Ash Taylor is determined after debuting and injuring his hand.

“He’s got a very good kicking game as well. There’s a lot to like about his skill.

“We’ve got good depth even though we might not be that experienced.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...medium=twitter
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Another article singing his praises whilst still sticking the knife in the club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/gold...-1227640827209
    Last edited by JunctionBlock; 11-12-15 at 07:53 AM.

i missed the bit about the knife?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i missed the bit about the knife?
    The 21-year-old showed maturity beyond his years to lead the down-and-out Titans around the paddock. Not as the halfback they wanted but the one they needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    The 21-year-old showed maturity beyond his years to lead the down-and-out Titans around the paddock. Not as the halfback they wanted but the one they needed.
    i guess there is so much scar tissue there now i didnt feel it, but fair point.
    although the first is pretty minor ( and true ), and the second is more a compliment to LG.

i actually think Gaz is one of the more astute judges now. and also, where most voices in the game basically ignore us, he calls us on our ****, and also praises when its due.

I dont really like him, but i have come to appreciate his judgement over most other talking heads.

True. I just went into the article firstly surprised that there was an article on Fox Sports regarding the Titans and that it seemed positive from the headlines and then the first paragraph is spiced up with some rather negative adjectives. I thought the second bold type part was kind of a dig that we lost Sezer and DCE so I guess we'll settle for LG.

Anyway, good to see him get some recognition.

Pretty fair article really. "Down and out" may be a little harsh but not by much and the other is a compliment, imo.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

i guess there is so much scar tissue there now i didnt feel it, but fair point.
    although the first is pretty minor ( and true ), and the second is more a compliment to LG.

i actually think Gaz is one of the more astute judges now. and also, where most voices in the game basically ignore us, he calls us on our ****, and also praises when its due.

I dont really like him, but i have come to appreciate his judgement over most other talking heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Pretty fair article really. "Down and out" may be a little harsh but not by much and the other is a compliment, imo.
    if you gonna steal my material, at least give me a thumb up mate

if you gonna steal my material, at least give me a thumb up mate
    Living in China, piracy just comes with the territory but great minds and all that .......
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.