Default Historic $1.8b TV deal seals NRL future

NRL broadcast deal: Historic $1.8b contract with Fox Sports, Nine Network, Telstra

November 26, 20152:04pm

THE NRL, Fox Sports, Nine Network and Telstra are understood to have sealed a historic $1.8 billion agreement that confirms the game’s future until the end of 2022.

Amid marathon talks that went through Wednesday night and well into Thursday, the commission finally signed off this afternoon on the purchase of the Saturday night game by Fox from Nine for $35 million a year, or $175 million over the full five-year contract. This figure was reached after exhaustive haggling between the two parties.

News Corp’s global chief executive, Robert Thomson, flew in from the US overnight to finalise the deal that sees Fox retain Super Saturday, with three games to run that day culminating in the Saturday night game.

In a first for the game, there will also be a Friday 6pm game to be screened on Fox Sports,as revealed by the Telegraph earlier this month. The Friday night game has been a key component for Fox, which would televise those matches from Auckland and Queensland. This will ensure games held in the earlier time slot would also attract a crowd, because arriving early for matches on a Friday night in Sydney would be too difficult in peak hour traffic.

As part of the deal, Fox Sports will launch a 24 hour dedicated rugby league channel in 2017.

HOW WE BROKE THE STORY: Fox Sports to win Saturday

While the deal is for seven years from 2016 to the end of 2022.

It is understood the NRL has scheduled a late afternoon press conference to announce the final deal.

Insiders say the sudden coming to a head of the talks in the last 48 hours occurred after the NRL brought News Corp, Telstra and Nine back to the negotiating table this week.

Fox Sports will now screen five live games a round and simulcast all eight matches. Apart from the Friday and Saturday games, it will also now screen a Sunday 2pm game. The new deal has taken shape in the weeks since former league boss Dave Smith’s resignation last month.

Under the deal, Fox has formally given up its Monday night game, so it can retain the three Super Saturday fixtures. Thursday night will now kickstart each round of the competition on Nine and Fox Sports.

The sale of the Saturday night game and the simulcast rights reduce the cost to Nine of screening NRL over the five year contract from $925 million to about $650 million.

If Fox Sports gets everything it wants, it is understood to have paid about $900 million for the rights.

It is understood telecommunications group Optus made a late play for the overall pay-TV and digital rights — in the wake of taking on the English Premier League rights for about US$45 million a year — but baulked at the high relative cost of rugby league.

Instead, Telstra will take the digital rights for what is believed to be about $150 million. Meanwhile, it is understood the international rights are worth between $75 million and $100 million.

POSSIBLE SCHEDULE in 2016

Thursday

8pm: Nine

Friday

Super Saturday

3pm: Fox Sports

5.30pm: Fox Sports

7.30pm: Fox Sports

Sunday

2pm: Fox Sports

4pm: Nine

Monday

7pm: Fox Sports

Source: www.news.com.au/sport

- - - Updated - - -

It's a improved schedule for mine, Monday night footy didn't do much for me (Thursday a better night) . Only downside Foxtel seems to have had a small gain, but I guess the upside is the dedicated NRL channel appearing 2017 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    NRL broadcast deal: Historic $1.8b contract with Fox Sports, Nine Network, Telstra

November 26, 20152:04pm

THE NRL, Fox Sports, Nine Network and Telstra are understood to have sealed a historic $1.8 billion agreement that confirms the game’s future until the end of 2022.

Amid marathon talks that went through Wednesday night and well into Thursday, the commission finally signed off this afternoon on the purchase of the Saturday night game by Fox from Nine for $35 million a year, or $175 million over the full five-year contract. This figure was reached after exhaustive haggling between the two parties.

News Corp’s global chief executive, Robert Thomson, flew in from the US overnight to finalise the deal that sees Fox retain Super Saturday, with three games to run that day culminating in the Saturday night game.

In a first for the game, there will also be a Friday 6pm game to be screened on Fox Sports,as revealed by the Telegraph earlier this month. The Friday night game has been a key component for Fox, which would televise those matches from Auckland and Queensland. This will ensure games held in the earlier time slot would also attract a crowd, because arriving early for matches on a Friday night in Sydney would be too difficult in peak hour traffic.

As part of the deal, Fox Sports will launch a 24 hour dedicated rugby league channel in 2017.

HOW WE BROKE THE STORY: Fox Sports to win Saturday

While the deal is for seven years from 2016 to the end of 2022.

It is understood the NRL has scheduled a late afternoon press conference to announce the final deal.

Insiders say the sudden coming to a head of the talks in the last 48 hours occurred after the NRL brought News Corp, Telstra and Nine back to the negotiating table this week.

Fox Sports will now screen five live games a round and simulcast all eight matches. Apart from the Friday and Saturday games, it will also now screen a Sunday 2pm game. The new deal has taken shape in the weeks since former league boss Dave Smith’s resignation last month.

Under the deal, Fox has formally given up its Monday night game, so it can retain the three Super Saturday fixtures. Thursday night will now kickstart each round of the competition on Nine and Fox Sports.

The sale of the Saturday night game and the simulcast rights reduce the cost to Nine of screening NRL over the five year contract from $925 million to about $650 million.

If Fox Sports gets everything it wants, it is understood to have paid about $900 million for the rights.

It is understood telecommunications group Optus made a late play for the overall pay-TV and digital rights — in the wake of taking on the English Premier League rights for about US$45 million a year — but baulked at the high relative cost of rugby league.

Instead, Telstra will take the digital rights for what is believed to be about $150 million. Meanwhile, it is understood the international rights are worth between $75 million and $100 million.

POSSIBLE SCHEDULE in 2016

Thursday

Friday

Super Saturday

3pm: Fox Sports

5.30pm: Fox Sports

7.30pm: Fox Sports

Sunday

2pm: Fox Sports

4pm: Nine

Monday

7pm: Fox Sports

Source: www.news.com.au/sport

- - - Updated - - -

Only downside Foxtel seems to have had a small gain, but I guess the upside is the dedicated NRL channel appearing 2017 onwards.
    That's not a downside for me. We will get to see the early season games live, which in the past we had to wait and watch on delay because of daylight savings. And I don't have to listen to Gus Gould and Ray Warren talk absolute rubbish to each other...

Fair point, Ozy.

I didn't consider the blessing that may come with a little less of those muppets.

They are still talking about a 6pm game on Friday from 2017 when Monday night games go. The loss of Monday night I can understand even though I love watching it, but a 6pm game on Friday is crazy. How will many people make it in time. Of course when the games are in NZ that is no problem but that might cover 5-6 games, what about the rest. There has been talk of the 6pm game being in Bris as it's easier to get to than Sydney but I had read the Govt will not allow it as they need the public transport to get people home from work. I reckon Titans, Raiders and Knights will get a few of these Friday 6pm games.

They are talking about Melbourne getting a lot of these games as well due to the ease of getting to the stadium from the city after work.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    They are talking about Melbourne getting a lot of these games as well due to the ease of getting to the stadium from the city after work.
    Yeah cheers mate I just read that in the paper. Melbourne does seem a possible option. I do have doubts about just how well this game will rate as many people are still getting home at that time, but we will see I guess.

Im glad we got coin.

But 6pm is ridiculous and a fan killer.

Devastated our game backed down from a FTA Saturday game.

Although the RL channel is about 20 years overdue. Hopefully it will create an appetite for more RL content. International content.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER