Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Scott Sattler labels James Roberts the Gold Coast Titans’ most important player

FORMER Gold Coast *Titans football manager Scott Sattler says the club needs to do everything in their power to keep star centre James Roberts, who is a commodity they cannot *afford to lose.

The Titans will meet early this week with Roberts’ advisers, including new manager Jeremy Donovan, in the hope of resolving the contract drama that has made the exciting player a free agent.

The Dally M Centre of the Year had his signature forged by football manager Scott Clark, who quit on Thursday, and despite indicating his preference to stay at the club he is allowed to field offers from rivals.

Gold Coast NRL product and former Titans manager Sattler said Roberts was the most important player at the Titans, who would be *severely crippled by his loss.

“Every team has their marquee player and James Roberts is theirs,” Sattler said.

“He is probably the greatest priority when it comes to the club and they can’t lose him.

“He is one of the most explosive players in the game but also it’s the first time James Roberts has been consistent in his life and his rugby league since he has been at the Gold Coast.”

Sattler said Roberts provided more than just on-field prowess with his presence at the club potentially attracting more stars to the Gold Coast.

“He actually becomes a recruitment tool for them also because players that are interested in coming to a club look at the players they are going to be surrounded by and he is a player that other players would be excited about playing with.”

Roberts’ management met in Sydney on Friday to discuss the situation, which could result in an increase to the centre’s estimated $300,000-a-year salary.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1227618989194

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't look in to it much but a bloke on Front Row Forum stated (I can't find any reference to an article, he is probably just guestimating but hey as long as we retain him I don't care) :

"It's reported he will probably get about $100k more a year ontop of his $330kpa contract from the Titans. Worked out pretty well for him in the end.

In saying that genuine strike outside backs are worth that and more, and he is certainly one of those"

I agree, James is our most important player with LG second. We have to keep him no matter what and I think another 100K on his contract would be fine. In fact throw a couple 100K on his contract. Hell be what pulls players to this club. If we didn't have him this year I say we get the spoon quite easily.

Agree pay him overs as he will be worth more than that in the next two years. Still think he needs a run at fullback, and if he does stay centre at least put him on the same side as elgey.

Sign him for 5 ... just kidding but at least sign him past this contract.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

TITANS MUST RETAIN ROBERTS

The next 48 hours are absolutely critical to the long-term future of the Gold Coast Titans.

Chief executive Graham Annesley and coach Neil Henry have until Wednesday to sign the game’s fastest player James Roberts to a new contract or he will begin talks with rival clubs.

The Titans bungled the re-signing of star centre James Roberts.
    The forged signature scandal will cost the club around $200,000 if, as expected, he stays.

We reported last week Roberts was on $330,000-a-year with the Titans.

His value increased substantially when he won the Dally M centre-of-the-year award.

Since the forgery story revealed he is now a free agent, rival clubs have indicated they are prepared to pay $400,000 plus. That’s around the ballpark figure the Titans will have to pay to keep him.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...story-comments

We better get our act together. He should be top priority now. 500K per season I'd be happy with. We better not take the relaxed approach to this either, I'd be livid if we lose him.
    Last edited by TitanSam; 23-11-15 at 01:22 PM.

I agree that Roberts should be retained at any reasonable cost. But it's a bit of a joke isn't it - because his initials are forged on a contract he will benefit by a couple of hundred grand. Of course we gave him the reason to bump up his contract but I hope he gives Clark a sling. Clark's forging of his initials will be worth a lot of money to Roberts, a strange world we live in.

I wish I had more confidence in the club to get this sorted.

This is just one big joke, paying 500k for a bloke that u already have.

Watch this get worse once everything is sorted
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

At least he can afford those investments he was looking at which was the reason he asked for a copy of his contract.

Always look on the bright side of life.....

As a club we have become the world benchmark on how to ream yourself without really trying ... I just can't find words to describe my feeling of hopelessness ... it must be something in the water ... Searle, Cartwright, May, the ill-discipline, a wooden spoon, the dopeheads, the eclectic performances, Timbaaa, police car pee-ing, Carter, Idris, TSS, board changes, receivership and FFS forging signatures.
    Last edited by Titanic; 23-11-15 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    As a club we have become the world benchmark on how to ream yourself without really trying
    Tigers are well on their way, but i actually think they are trying.

If they weren't paying off 2 former coaches already Im sure Jason Taylor would be gonesky
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    As a club we have become the world benchmark on how to ream yourself without really trying ... I just can't find words to describe my feeling of hopelessness ... it must be something in the water ... Searle, Cartwright, May, the ill-discipline, a wooden spoon, the dopeheads, the eclectic performances, Timbaaa, police car pee-ing, Carter, TSS, board changes, receivership and FFS forging signatures.
    Wow what a list........Imagine all the scandals we don't know about

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Tigers are well on their way, but i actually think they are trying
    They are certainly strong rivals for the title, especially considering they are made up of two ex-basket cases of clubs and may pay-out a couple of million spondoolies for a used hack like Farah out of their salary cap BUT we are the new kid on the block and have had the opportunity to learn from over 100 years of stupidity and four previous incarnations, so we have it by a nose.

Courier Mail reporting that James negotiations have been postponed due to the death of a close friend and that the Cowboys have indicated their interest in the star centre. Here we go

Quote Originally Posted by Nols of the Goldy View Post
    Courier Mail reporting that James negotiations have been postponed due to the death of a close friend and that the Cowboys have indicated their interest in the star centre. Here we go
    wow i swear if we lose him... Rip to his friend tho