Default Jamal Idris released by Panthers

Jamal Idris released by Panthers, reportedly taking a break from rugby league

The Daily Telegraph November 02, 2015 12:22PM

JAMAL Idris has been released from the final year of his contract with the Penrith Panthers.

The 25-year old had been linked with a move away from the foot of the mountains for some weeks, but it was announced on Monday morning that he will take a break from rugby league to contemplate his future.

Idris is dealing with a host of personal issues including the breakdown of a relationship with his partner and also the recent passing of his grandfather.

Idris informed his manager Sam Ayoub of his desire to take a break from rugby league on Saturday night.

“He hasn’t retired from rugby league but he needs to take some timeout to deal with some personal issues,’’ Ayoub said.

Idris joined the Panthers in 2014 after stints with the Bulldogs and Titans.

He had previously been linked with a move to the Melbourne Storm.

“Jamal has been wonderful for our club. He played an integral role in the Panthers’ run towards a top four finish in 2014,” said Panthers General Manager Phil Gould

“He was an extremely popular player with our members and his work off the field with the community and junior league programs has been nothing short of outstanding.

“Injury and personal issues restricted his playing time last season and I totally understand the reasons behind his request for this release.

“In top form, Jamal is a State of Origin quality player. I hope that he can find a way to rekindle his motivation for the game and return at some stage in the future.”

A one-time Test and State of Origin player, Idris played just four matches this season before suffering a knee injury.

“I love the game of rugby league but just at the moment I need to take some time away,” said Idris.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Panthers but I did not want to continue playing if I couldn’t guarantee giving them 100 per cent.

“I thank them for their understanding at this time.”

In his two seasons with the Panthers, Idris played 28 matches and scored eight tries.

Source: foxsports
    Last edited by Toads; 03-11-15 at 01:57 PM.