Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Pre-season

Just want to back Manzo's soapbox rant on the Titans' website … the website generally reflects the malaise within the club's marketing efforts.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

yah- never got any reply-- maybe if everyone does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Manzo View Post
    yah- never got any reply-- maybe if everyone does it?
    Probably on holidays
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

A few photos from pre-season training today. Hope the boys are working hard.

More photos at: http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/0...f_trainin.html
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Lafranchis looking fit in one of those images maybe we can slot him back into our foward pack.

Asked Tony Webeck on Twitter who was training in the halves and he said that Ash Taylor + Roberts were on one team and Mortimer + Bird on the other.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

greg bird? in halves----- please dont do that to us titans
    i know he has played there but sheesh.........

Quote Originally Posted by Manzo View Post
    greg bird? in halves----- please dont do that to us titans
    i know he has played there but sheesh.........
    In all fairness greg bird wasn't terrible in the halve. I would still prefer to have him up front. Morts is my worry. Maybe he can turn back the clock and play like he did in 2009. Big ask i know but it would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrels View Post
    In all fairness greg bird wasn't terrible in the halve. I would still prefer to have him up front. Morts is my worry. Maybe he can turn back the clock and play like he did in 2009. Big ask i know but it would be nice.
    http://www.nrl.com/titans-insist-tay...5/default.aspx

At least they're using some common sense.

Good to hear ATay should be available in round 1. Lets hope so.

Titans insist Taylor will be ready

Tony Webeck Tue 05 Jan, 2016, 2:00pm
    By Tony Webeck *, Chief Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com

Titans coach Neil Henry says he will have no hesitation in handing exciting young halfback Ashley Taylor the reins for Round 1 following the devastating news that Kane Elgey has been ruled out for the season.

Elgey suffered a season-ending ACL injury in the final few moments of the first training session of 2016 on Monday, a further cruel blow for Gold Coast fans who saw their team's leading try-scorer in 2015 James Roberts paraded in Broncos colours for the first time just hours earlier.

The Titans' rookie of the year last year and the 2014 Holden Cup Player of the Year, Elgey had been one of the club's most impressive performers in pre-season training and had been elevated into a leadership role despite being just 21 years of age and having playing only 16 games in the NRL.

A player with an equally impressive junior pedigree having represented the Junior Kangaroos and named the 2015 Holden Cup Player of the Year, Taylor looks now likely to get first shot at developing a halves combination with Knights recruit Tyrone Roberts who will assume the senior playmaking role.

After suffering sickening compound fractures of two fingers on his right hand in his NRL debut for the Broncos in Round 26 last season, Taylor is currently restricted to around 70 per cent of contact work in training but Henry has faith he will be available for the club's pre-season trials and ready for Round 1 against Newcastle.

"He should be [right for the first trial], the hand's improving," Henry said.

"We won't risk him if he's not right but all things being equal he should be right to go.

"He handled himself well in his 23 minutes on debut and was very solid defensively and had a couple of nice kicks.

"He's a kid that's been training full-time with the Broncos for a couple of seasons now so he's sort of used to that intensity and speed of first grade. I've got every confidence in the kid."

While an opportunity may have opened up for Taylor, the path ahead for Elgey is a torturous nine-month rehabilitation just when his NRL career was on the verge of taking full flight.

When he was introduced in Round 4 last season the Titans went on to win four of their next five games that elevated them into the top eight, albeit momentarily.

He will celebrate his 22nd birthday on January 14 with the fresh scars that come with such a serious injury which occurred in the most innocuous of circumstances.

"We were doing a bit of a defensive drill and there was no real contact in it," Henry recalled. "I think he just propped on his left leg and twisted at the same time.

"He felt a bit of a pain in his knee and we didn't think it was too serious but as he cooled down and when he went to see Paul Ohmsen, our doctor, it confirmed that he'd ruptured his ACL.

"I spoke to him last night once we got the scan results through and it was confirmed and he is very shattered as you would be. It's terrible news for him personally and for the club. We're going to miss him, he's a big part of our team.

"He's young and he's resilient and he'll just have to get over this and get back into his rehab. Hopefully we can get him operated on next week and we move on."
    #iwillneverwalkaway

its funny though, if dce this could have been him. more than happy to see taylor take the reins. him and elgey to meet in 2017 and form a brilliant halves pairing

Henry: We'll overcome setback
    Tue 5th January, 12:56PM

Aquis Titans coach Neil Henry spoke to the media today about Kane Elgey's injury and his confidence that his squad can overcome for the setback.

He spoke about how Elgey suffered the luckless injury and the opportunity for 2015 Holden Cup player of the year and Junior Kangaroo Ash Taylor to take his opportunities alongside Tyrone Roberts.

http://www.titans.com.au/news/2016/0...dent_in_h.html
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Some more info from Tony Webeck on Twitter:

-Daniel Mortimer and Greg Bird training in the forwards group.

-Shannon Walker, Sami Sauiluma and Pulu looking very sharp.

-Nathan Davis apparently struggling.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

who are sami suiluma and nathan davis?

Sami Sauiluma is a wing/centre who can play at backrow and from what I've seen he's a gun. He played for Sharks last year and Raiders the year before, and he's fairly big and fast. I'm pretty sure he scored 5 tries In a game for Mounties in 2014 where he was also named centre of the year in Te NSW cup team . Id love to see him in the nines. There's quite a few highlights on him on YouTube

HS will tell you about Nathan Davis, all I know is that he's from Parra and he's pretty big. he kicks goals too. He owns heaps of records for the Parra u-20's side. He plays centre and can fill in at FB.

EDIT: don't quote me on this btw just what I know.
    Last edited by TitanSam; 07-01-16 at 08:33 PM.