Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ashley Taylor right to go for NRL pre-season

GREENWOOD
    GOLD COAST BULLETIN
    NOVEMBER 02, 2015 12:00AM

TITANS recruit Ashley Taylor will be able to start pre-season training with his teammates today but is likely to be on restricted duties until at least Christmas after surgery on his hand.

The former Broncos under-20s half had surgery to repair compound fractures to two fingers on his right hand, an injury suffered during the 20-year-old’s NRL debut against Melbourne in September.

Taylor, who has signed with the Titans for two years and will join Kane Elgey in the halves after the departure of Aidan Sezer, will be checked by Titans medical staff but has been given the green light to start training today.

Gold Coast football manager Scott Clark said all indications were the Junior Kangaroos half has recovered well.

“He’ll be on a little bit of a limited capacity with a few things but we don’t actually touch the ball a lot in the first few weeks, so he’ll be fine to resume close to full training,’’ Clark said.

“It was a nasty injury some of those (finger fractures) do take a bit of time to recover and can give you some longterm grief.

“But our medical guys will check him out and make some plans for him.’’

The injury meant Taylor was unable to finish his debut match and he remains largely untested at NRL level but the Titans are banking on him establishing a quick combination with Kane Elgey this season.

The Titans are keen to tie Elgey to a longterm deal in a bid to gain stability in their halves.

The Gold Coast product re-signed for two seasons earlier this year, but the second-year option is in his favour and the Titans are keen to tie him to a longterm deal.

“Kane’s only on a short-term deal but obviously he’s shown a bit so no doubt Neil (coach Neil Henry) and our new recruitment guy (David Hamilton) will be looking at that fairly closely soon.

“We’d definitely like to keep Kane longterm so we’ll be getting on to that soon.’’

Taylor will join a list of recruits including Dave Shillington, Zeb Taia and the returning Nathan Friend at training today.

But one player that won’t be there is Kevin Gordon, who is taking an indefinite break from the game after succumbing to longterm knee and hip injuries.

“His body can’t cope with the training and he’s got serious limitations when it comes to his training,’’ Clark said.

“He just needs to step away from footy which he was happy to do. It was a mutual decision, there was no force upon Kevvie.

“I think he’s happy now because his body just couldn’t cope with the work required to be an NRL player anymore.’’

Clark denied the Titans were negotiating with Rabbitohs forward Chris McQueen, saying the club became connected with every player that may come off contract given they had some space in the cap.

But he confirmed they were still chasing signatures for the 2016 season.

“We’ve still got a few spots available, we’re still working through that but we don’t want to get trapped into making any rash decisions so we just want to make sure that we’re identifying players in positions that we need,’’ he said.

“The last thing we want to do is make a decision just because there’s someone available.

“This time of year getting closer to Christmas and after Christmas there’s a bit of movement around the clubs so you might be able to pick up some quality players.

“There’s a lot of work going on in the background.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Interesting that an article about a new half at the club and which mentions new signings, doesn't mention Tyrone Roberts!

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    GREENWOOD
    GOLD COAST BULLETIN

TITANS recruit Ashley Taylor will be able to start pre-season training with his teammates today but is likely to be on restricted duties until at least Christmas after surgery on his hand.

The former Broncos under-20s half had surgery to repair compound fractures to two fingers on his right hand, an injury suffered during the 20-year-old’s NRL debut against Melbourne in September.

Taylor, who has signed with the Titans for two years and will join Kane Elgey in the halves after the departure of Aidan Sezer, will be checked by Titans medical staff but has been given the green light to start training today.

Gold Coast football manager Scott Clark said all indications were the Junior Kangaroos half has recovered well.

“He’ll be on a little bit of a limited capacity with a few things but we don’t actually touch the ball a lot in the first few weeks, so he’ll be fine to resume close to full training,’’ Clark said.

“It was a nasty injury some of those (finger fractures) do take a bit of time to recover and can give you some longterm grief.

The injury meant Taylor was unable to finish his debut match and he remains largely untested at NRL level but the Titans are banking on him establishing a quick combination with Kane Elgey this season.

The Titans are keen to tie Elgey to a longterm deal in a bid to gain stability in their halves.

The Gold Coast product re-signed for two seasons earlier this year, but the second-year option is in his favour and the Titans are keen to tie him to a longterm deal.

“Kane’s only on a short-term deal but obviously he’s shown a bit so no doubt Neil (coach Neil Henry) and our new recruitment guy (David Hamilton) will be looking at that fairly closely soon.

“We’d definitely like to keep Kane longterm so we’ll be getting on to that soon.’’

Taylor will join a list of recruits including Dave Shillington, Zeb Taia and the returning Nathan Friend at training today.

But one player that won’t be there is Kevin Gordon, who is taking an indefinite break from the game after succumbing to longterm knee and hip injuries.

“His body can’t cope with the training and he’s got serious limitations when it comes to his training,’’ Clark said.

“He just needs to step away from footy which he was happy to do. It was a mutual decision, there was no force upon Kevvie.

“I think he’s happy now because his body just couldn’t cope with the work required to be an NRL player anymore.’’

Clark denied the Titans were negotiating with Rabbitohs forward Chris McQueen, saying the club became connected with every player that may come off contract given they had some space in the cap.

“We’ve still got a few spots available, we’re still working through that but we don’t want to get trapped into making any rash decisions so we just want to make sure that we’re identifying players in positions that we need,’’ he said.

“The last thing we want to do is make a decision just because there’s someone available.

“This time of year getting closer to Christmas and after Christmas there’s a bit of movement around the clubs so you might be able to pick up some quality players.

Is there any one go down to the training session today

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    GREENWOOD
    GOLD COAST BULLETIN

Did any one down to the training session today
    Last edited by Brett Davis; 02-11-15 at 11:51 AM. Reason: No grammar

So Kevvie has retired? Or is that acceptable for a player to say "Keep paying me whilst I do nothing?"

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    So Kevvie has retired? Or is that acceptable for a player to say "Keep paying me whilst I do nothing?"
    A cynic would say 'nothing's changed".
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    A cynic would say 'nothing's changed".
    Ahh........but what would you say Titanic??

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Ahh........but what would you say Titanic??
    Farewell to a player who never reached his potential.

Looks like Ash had another injury setback. He went to hospital needing another op on his hand as there was a complication whilst doing his finger rehab. I think it was his knuckles.

NRL
    New Gold Coast Titans halfback Ashley Taylor suffers another injury setback

November 5, 2015 2:52pm
    Nathan RyanFOX SPORTS

Ashley Taylor in action.
    ASHLEY Taylor has suffered yet another injury setback as he attempts to begin the next chapter of his career on the Gold Coast, requiring a second surgical procedure to fix his hand.

The 20-year-old suffered a nasty compound fracture to his right hand during his NRL debut for Brisbane in round 26.

Two of his fingers suffered fractures, which saw the playmaker leave the field with his hand bloodied, requiring 20 stitches to seal the wounds shut.

While the surgery was considered a success, Titans coach Neil Henry revealed Taylor returned to hospital this week in need of another operation.

“Ash Taylor’s had to have a minor procedure on his knuckles,” Henry told foxsports.com.au.

“He had a few little complications around getting the mobility to straighten both of his fingers.

“He had a procedure done on Monday and he saw the surgeon again on Wednesday and the surgeon was pretty happy with it all.

“He’ll be on restricted duties but he can run, he just won’t be tackling and doing contact stuff until around Christmas.”

With Taylor moving into full contact work in the New Year, his first chance to impress Henry will come at the Auckland Nines competition as he battles for a place in the first grade side with the more experienced Tyrone Roberts and Kane Elgey.

Henry said all three men will need to trial well in order to secure a starting position, although he admits Taylor sits third in the pecking order.

“You’d have to say games-wise Tyrone Roberts is a shoo-in and then it’s Kane Elgey and Ash might have to bide his time or show he can jump in front of one of those guys,” he said.

“We’ve got three young halves and they’re all keen.

“We’ll look at the combinations and that’s without counting Daniel Mortimer.”

While Mortimer has spent the bulk of his career at five-eighth, he will compete with veteran Nathan Friend, Kierran Moseley and 20s rake Karl Lawton for the No.9 jersey.

New recruit Roberts joined the Titans on Thursday to start training, after being granted a later return so he could attend the wedding of Knights winger Akuila Uate in Fiji.

Henry revealed the No.7 will likely lead the halves, with the experienced playmaker just three games away from 100 first grade caps.

“Tyrone’s got the most experience,” he said.

“He likes the responsibility a bit more and was handed the kicking duties this year.

“Once he made the decision to come north his football was sensational.

“He played some great footy at the back end of the season for Newcastle. If he can maintain that form, he’s got a real connection here with family in Ballina.

“He’s got a young baby and a partner who are looking to settle here. He’s in a good frame of mind.”

The only shoo-in should be elgey, also no mention of srama amongst the hookers

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    The only shoo-in should be Elgey
    You got that right, that's for sure.

I think taylor should start the year in q cup and transition into first grade like elgey did, regardless of preseason form

I think taylor should start the year in q cup and transition into first grade like elgey did, regardless of preseason form
    My thoughts as well. Let his body get used to being bashed by big bodies and hope he stars in the QCup.

I reckon that's what will happen for sure. The article says that Taylor is third in the pecking order. I just hope LG and Tyrone gel from the start as when we had two established halves last season (LG and Sezer) playing together we won 4 from 7.

New Titans signing Tyrone Roberts keen to relaunch career on Gold Coast
    November 10, 2015 7:44pm | Travis Meyn The Courier-Mail

WHEN Tyrone Roberts was told he was no longer needed at the Newcastle Knights, the Gold Coast Titans immediately became the club he wanted to relaunch his career.

Roberts is in the box seat to replace Aidan Sezer in the No. 6 jersey at the Titans next season as he forms a new playmaking partnership with halfback Kane Elgey.

With 97 NRL appearances under his belt, the 24-year-old Indigenous All Stars representative is entering the prime of his career.

But it took a tap on the shoulder from the Knights after they’d signed NSW No. 7 Trent Hodkinson for him to realise a move to the Gold Coast was needed to reach his potential.

“I didn’t really mind. I didn’t care,” Roberts said of Newcastle’s moves to release him.

“That was their decision. I wasn’t finished just yet.

“I took this opportunity with both hands.

“I’m very excited. I get to come home and see my family.

“We’ll have to wait and see how it pans out.”

Ballina on the NSW north coast is home for Roberts, who spent his younger years terrorising junior rivals alongside cousin and Titans jet James Roberts.

He left the tranquil coastal town as a 14-year-old, following a relative to Newcastle to chase his football dreams.

The Knights couldn’t resist his freakish talent but Roberts understands he is at the stage of his career where consistent excellence is needed.

“I guess I was at Newcastle for too long,” he said.

“I needed to freshen up. I was too comfortable at Newcastle.

“I feel like I’m starting out again and want it more now.

“I’m ready to rip in. I need to challenge myself.

“I’m out of my comfort zone and I don’t want to let anyone down.”

Elgey’s outstanding rookie season in 2015 will see him retain his spot on the left edge in the No. 7 jersey while Roberts will patrol the right side and kick goals.

That seems the most likely scenario for coach Neil Henry given former Broncos young gun Ashley Taylor won’t begin full training with the team until next year.

Taylor has undergone two operations on the compound fracture in his finger he suffered in his NRL debut and said the setback had been frustrating.

“It’s been a bit of a pain in the bum but it’s getting there,” Taylor said.

“I want to be in the main group, train with the boys and get to know everyone and get the right combinations with everybody.

“It is frustrating. I’m starting on the back foot but we’ll get there.

“I’m happy to bide my time if I have to but I’ll fight hard for a spot.”

- - - Updated - - -

I mainly posted this article for that sexy photo

Despite the general consensus amongst most of the fans here being all doom and gloom for 2016 - I am PUMPED for next season. I think we will be an exciting team to watch.