Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dave Smith to step down as NRL CEO

Tue 20 Oct, 2015, 10:05am
    Media Release, NRL

Dave Smith to step down as NRL CEO

ARLC Chairman, Mr John Grant and Chief Executive Officer, Mr Dave Smith today announced that Mr Smith will complete his contract with the NRL on 30th November 2015.

Mr Smith said that with another highly successful NRL season just finished and the ARLC financial year end approaching, it was the ideal time for the game to plan for the next phase of its future.

"Rugby League is a fantastic game with wonderful people involved at every level and it has been a privilege to lead the game," Mr Smith said.

"Together with the ARLC, the 16 NRL Clubs and the State Leagues we have made significant progress in modernising Rugby League and, having assessed our progress and year end position, it is clear we now have the foundations in place for long term success.

"We have secured the biggest free to air broadcast deal in our history, $1.6 billion for investment in Rugby League stadiums and a financial platform that includes a sustainability fund of $50m and a surplus of $100m that is progressively being invested back into the game, and a 48% increase in non-broadcast revenue.

"We are consistently enjoying record breaking Origin and Finals Series and we have grown significantly with more than 300,000 fans converted into club members; new pathways for elite, recreational and female players; the biggest digital profile and reach of any sport in Australia; and we've introduced some new products such as the Auckland Nines and World Cup Challenge.

"Importantly we've also set new, higher standards when it comes to our brand, reputation and integrity which will solidify our growth. The game is now safer, more in line with community expectations and just as exciting for fans," he said.

"I've been a change agent for most of my career and the time has come for me to handover to a new leader to consolidate these gains and I finish with pride in the game's achievements.

''I'd like to thank John Grant and the Commissioners for their first class leadership and ongoing support, as well as the support I've received from the NRL Clubs and State Leagues," Mr Smith said.

"And I want to thank, in particular, all the NRL staff who work so hard to make this game so successful."

In acknowledging Mr Smith's contribution, Mr John Grant said the progress the game has made in three years has been very significant and they are tracking strongly against almost all the targets in the game's strategic plan.

"Dave has been a wonderful leader and change agent for our game," Mr Grant said.

"We all understood that it would take between three to five years to effect meaningful change and to build the platforms from which the game could continue to grow and succeed.

"We are now financially strong, organisationally sound and have strengthened the game's connection to the fans," Mr Grant concluded.

''On behalf of the whole Rugby League community I want to thank Dave for his tenacity, hard work and the momentum he has started to help our game become the most entertaining, engaging and respected sport," Mr Grant said.

The ARLC has appointed Signium International to facilitate the recruitment process for a new Chief Executive.

That search will include both internal and external candidates.

While that process is underway Mr Grant will take on executive responsibilities and senior management will share some additional duties and report directly to him.

Mr Grant said the immediate priorities going forward would include advancing the broadcast rights negotiations, a new funding model for clubs, and working with Governments in NSW and Queensland to deliver the stadia projects in the pipeline.

He said that in this next phase, the attention would more purposefully put the game and grass roots Rugby League at the centre of our planning and investment.

"The business is in good shape for the incoming CEO and it's a very exciting time for all of us as part of rugby league …we are ready to move into the next phase," Mr Grant said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

A real shame.

Wish I had a microphone in NRL HQ these last few months...

The ex AFL guru Demietrio seems to be a very smart man & may be the prime candidate as Smiths replacement
    #itaintweaktospeak

The expected names have been tossed up such as Shane Richardson and Todd Greenberg but I think they may be a little too close still to clubland.

I think the game has gone through the growth and financial stage and now it's time for a person who understands the game a bit more. I can't cop Ray Hadley but today he mentioned Mark Coyne. Said he had no idea whether he would be interested but his recent bio is:

"Off the field Mark has applied the same determination to his business career. Holding previous roles in financial services, a three-year term as an NRMA Road Service Board Member and executive General Manager at Suncorp Insurance - Mark has extensive business experience. Currently he is CEO and Managing Director for Coal Services - a leading player in the NSW Coal Industry."

Might be worth consideration?

Junior

An article on Fox Sports throws Graham Annesley's name into the mix of possible successors to Dave Smith. Just spitballing by the Fox Sports writers or a genuine concern for the Titans? I'd hate to lose the guy (but I certainly couldn't blame him for seizing the opportunity if it presented itself).

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle Titan View Post
    An article on Fox Sports throws Graham Annesley's name into the mix of possible successors to Dave Smith. Just spitballing by the Fox Sports writers or a genuine concern for the Titans? I'd hate to lose the guy (but I certainly couldn't blame him for seizing the opportunity if it presented itself).
    I think he is too nice a bloke for that job. He didn't really like the role of Minister in State Politics and that would be chicken feed to the NRL CEO's role.
    On top of him being too nice I think there are candidates with far greater achievements to their name.
    Wasn't Michael Searle mentioned once?

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Wasn't Michael Searle mentioned once?
    Sure, why not? That NRL Centre of Excellence isn't going to build itself, you know.

Gutted that we lose Smith and keep Grant … none of the names mentioned above have any resonance with me and for sure Coyne won't get the block NSW votes needed anyway with Grant in there … I am steeling myself for some nuffie out of an NGO in Africa
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Pretty sad to hear this.

I liked David because he stood up to people, clubs and bullies like News Ltd.

He was a fresh injection of professionalism. And I will be very pissed off if people white ant the next NRL CEO.

Thank you David. One of your continuing legacies will be the preservation of the Gold Coast Titans!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Pretty sad to hear this.

I liked David because he stood up to people, clubs and bullies like News Ltd.

He was a fresh injection of professionalism. And I will be very pissed off if people white ant the next NRL CEO.

Thank you David. One of your continuing legacies will be the preservation of the Gold Coast Titans!
    Yeah also sad to see him go.

At least John Grant and the commissioners are still around, so we know Smith's replacement will be another strong CEO. The way News Ltd is trying to influence the public on who should be the successor is hilariously barefaced.

James Warburton moves to quash NRL link

Thursday 22nd October, 2015 6:08pm Author: Gordon Lomas

V8 Supercars chief executive James Warburton has moved to assure team owners that he will remain in the sport, denying reports that he is set to defect to the National Rugby League.

Warburton has been linked to the football code following incumbent NRL CEO David Smith’s resignation earlier this week.

“I said this morning to the owner group that it’s just speculation,” Warburton told Speedcafe.com.

“I’m loving what I’m doing at V8 Supercars and I’m committed to the sport.”

Warburton however refrained from answering specific questions of whether he is interested in the job or had been approached by the NRL.

“I mean it’s all just speculation by a whole pile of people,” Warburton said.

“I was supposed to go to Southern Cross. I was supposed to go to all various places but at the end of the day people can throw names around all they want.

“I’m loving what I’m doing and I’m focussed on that and I’m committed to the sport.”

The rugby league developments this week forced Warburton to announce his allegiance to V8s after he became the seventh chief executive of the category since 1997, replacing David Malone in 2013.

Source: Speedcafe
    I'm glad this numb nut has come out and admitted he's not chasing the job. The TV Deal he sorted with Foxtel/Free-to-air really done a number on the series, and it will take a bit of time for it to persuade a lot of punters and sponsors back. That's if it is possible at all, as the series is falling apart for various other reasons.

Junior

I know it's the beer talking, but the idea of Geoff Toovey as the new NRL CEO puts a smile on my face. It would either be the end of the NRL as we know it, or it would be the beginning of a new golden age.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle Titan View Post
    I know it's the beer talking, but the idea of Geoff Toovey as the new NRL CEO puts a smile on my face. It would either be the end of the NRL as we know it, or it would be the beginning of a new golden age.
    Mate I am as Manly Sea Eagles as they come but Toovs is not the man for the job. Quiet news day.

It's gotta be April Fool's Day!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I'd prefer Tooves over the Effwit in Ribot
    #itaintweaktospeak