Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default William Zillman ready to return for Gold Coast Titans after successful back surgery

TOM BOSWELLGOLD COAST BULLETIN OCTOBER 17, 2015 12:00AM

A REFRESHED William Zillman free from the constraints of a debilitating back injury says he is ready to reclaim the Gold Coast Titans fullback position.

Zillman underwent surgery on his back last month to fix a disc problem which has hindered him for three years and limited him to 10 games this season.

The 29-year-old, who has been one of the Titans most consistent players in recent years, made the decision to go under the knife after epidurals and large amounts of time with physiotherapists failed to improve the problem.

“It is an injury that I have probably had for a few years now and it is just one of those things where it has slowly got worse and it was time to get something done about it,” Zillman said.

“I spent a while trying a few different things to get back on the field and when it got to five rounds to go and we couldn’t make the top eight I started looking for a surgeon.

“It was frustrating sitting on the sideline and it is very tough to do. It literally just needed rest and I didn’t have the luxury of resting it up for six to eight months.”

Zillman said the surgery would enable him to play burden-free and produce the reliable brand of football he is renowned for without the fear of long-term damage.

“The idea behind the surgery is that it can certainly take pressure off,” Zillman said.

“Since I hurt my back it has hampered me a little bit over the last three years but the idea is to put it all behind me now and hopefully be back to 100 per cent.”

Titans teammate Josh Hoffman shared the fullback duties with Zillman in the early stages of the 2015 season before becoming Neil Henry’s predominant choice for the role when the latter was sidelined with *injury.

But Zillman is expected to be fit for the start of the Titans preseason in November and declared he would not be playing catch-up as he vies to reclaim the No.1 jersey.

“Every pre-season about 30 or so blokes are all vying for their positions and this pre-season will be no different,” Zillman said.

“Any competition is healthy competition for us. We are a team and are all working towards a common goal.”
    #itaintweaktospeak

i am hoping he can come back refreshed and at his best.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    i am hoping he can come back refreshed and at his best.
    .....in Qcup.

Timbaaaaaa … this is the article I didn't need.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Not the outcome that I was thinking that we will hear about him. I was guessing retirement due to his back. Nice bloke but his form over the past 2-3 years has not been to great. Definitely should start him in the QCup going forward.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Not the outcome that I was thinking that we will hear about him. I was guessing retirement due to his back. Nice bloke but his form over the past 2-3 years has not been to great. Definitely should start him in the QCup going forward.
    This. I don't think this journo Tom Boswell must know much about the game. When I read this " The 29-year-old, who has been one of the Titans most consistent players in recent years" I dropped my coffee in my lap. FFS.

"produce the reliable brand of football he is renowned for..." Thanks, but no thanks, William. Unfortunately it's a brand of football I don't want to see a Titans Fullback play for us. Quite often it's disjointed and a defenseless style that will never win us a Premiership. Maybe the QCup like many have suggested is a better place to see out your contract.

P.S. Not intending to beat you up, just being totally honest about it.

Where will he play?

1. Hoffman/Roberts
    2. Don
    3. Roberts/Hoffman
    4. MacDonald
    5. Mead

Who will he push out?

Knowing our team, at least two of our players will be injured so I'm sure he will get plenty of game time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanSam View Post
    Where will he play?

1. Hoffman/Roberts
    2. Don
    3. Roberts/Hoffman
    4. MacDonald
    5. Mead

Who will he push out?
    It'll be bye bye Don when Zillman comes back
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    It'll be bye bye Don when Zillman comes back
    I was thinking Nene.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I was thinking Nene.
    You'd think Nene would slot into the left wing with Zilly left centre.

Zilly/Hoff can run their average show at FB while Mead can spend the yr begging for someone to pass him the ball
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

sadly i think you're right teke
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

As much as a 'nice bloke' he may be, I'm finding it very hard to get excited over this news since I don't think he should be a part of our future plans. Happy to see him get over his injury though.

What a Joke he is not NRL material.
    I bet he plays FB all year with out fail.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).