Gold Coast Titan Nene Macdonald committed to partnering The Jet in 2016
JACK HARBOUR GOLD COAST BULLETIN SEPTEMBER 01, 2015 12:00AM

NENE Macdonald says he will fight to be James Roberts’ apprentice in the centres for 2016 despite feeling at home on the wing in the Titans’ thrilling win on Sunday.

The 21-year-old filled a gap on the wing in the Gold Coast’s gutsy 28-26 victory over the Dragons at Robina.

Since shifting to the Titans from the Roosters midway through this season, the Papua New Guinea-born footballer has watched the rise of James “The Jet” Roberts from up close and says he is the man to partner the Titans’ excitement machine in 2016.

“It was an easy transition (on the weekend) because I usually play a bit of wing, centre, everywhere so I didn’t really mind it,” he said.

“I’m looking to seal my spot in the centres.

“If Neil wants me to play wherever, I’ll play wherever. As long as I’m playing I don’t mind but hopefully I seal that centre spot with Jimmy.

“I like centre, it’s a good spot for me to mould myself into a good player.”

Macdonald, who grew up in north Queensland, said he was looking forward to taking on the Cowboys, the side he barracked for as a youngster, in Townsville on Saturday night.

He said the Titans enjoyed inflicting pain on a top-eight side on the weekend and would look to do the same on Saturday night.

“We’re looking to get the win and an upset. Especially considering what we did to the Dragons – make it a bit nervous for them going into the top eight,” he said.

Macdonald said he was impressed by the performance of Titans teammate Dave Taylor on the weekend.

“The boys got into him and just told him to do his thing … when he’s on, he’s on so he showed it yesterday,” he said.

“We wanted to make sure we got the win for the boys leaving … but we didn’t want to think about it too much and put too much pressure on ourselves.”

Despite injury concerns following Sunday’s game, fullback Josh Hoffman and hooker Beau Falloon are expected to be available for the Titans’ final clash of 2015.

But forward Eddy Pettybourne will go for scans on an injured ankle this week and is in doubt for the Cowboys match.

Kierran Moseley will also be available for the weekend after taking an early plea to a dangerous contact charge at the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

I know that many see Nene as a winger... but I'd like to see him develop as a centre. I think we've only scratched the surface of him and I'm willing to forgive his mistakes, for the player he's hinting he can be.