Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Diehard, both of those strips are outstanding. As the Giants we and the Seagulls and the Chargers we had such a great record of playing intense and exciting local derbies with the Broncos. Something that has been completely lost as the Titans. I would love to see us wear that strip against the Broncos next year - that would be outstanding!

Wow, never knew that. Seagulls played against the Broncos. Cheers for setting the record straight, karnage.

Then again, I spent most of my time at various watering holes during that era.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I messaged the team about our heritage jerseys. This should be easy:
    2016 - Giants
    2017 - Seagulls
    2018 - Chargers

Tell me you wouldn't buy every single one of those jerseys??

This is something I am sure we can rally around in the off season. Who was the dude who used to do all those mock up jerseys?? Could somebody do a sweet looking Giants one?? Lets get the ball rolling, because God knows we have no football to look forward to in September!!
    You'd be surprised how many old jerseys still pop up for sale.

What I want to know, is how the hell has Rob Simpkins managed to keep that Giants jersey in such mint condition!?!?

I have babied mine since i bought it in 88, and it still looks faded and sponsor gone to the dogs!

I love all the former GC jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by nimud View Post
    What I want to know, is how the hell has Rob Simpkins managed to keep that Giants jersey in such mint condition!?!?
    Great add for Omo? In fact, any cynic (not me) could argue that you have to do a lot to wear out a jersey and my memories of the Giants are that they didn't do too much does look good though.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Diehard, both of those strips are outstanding. As the Giants we and the Seagulls and the Chargers we had such a great record of playing intense and exciting local derbies with the Broncos. Something that has been completely lost as the Titans. I would love to see us wear that strip against the Broncos next year - that would be outstanding!
    dont think you could say completely lost. maybe last year or two. But i think the first couple of years weren't terrible, and indeed there was at least one cracker golden point match, and also maybe the best match ive ever watched - the semi final shootout at skilled. full stadium, end to end game with some amazing tries.

we have won 5 and lost 12 since inception in 2007, and a lost a couple of close ones also. i wouldn't think the seagulls / chargers / giants would have taken that many games off brisbane. i can only remember the 25-12 win at carrara, but there was probably more.

i take your point that maybe we competed harder every game, but if i had the time to look it up, we probably got smashed a few times too.

but would absolutely love the jersey. if we dont use it for heritage round, we should definitely use it for old boys day
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 31-08-15 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    dont think you could say completely lost. maybe last year or two. But i think the first couple of years weren't terrible, and indeed there was at least one cracker golden point match, and also maybe the best match ive ever watched - the semi final shootout at skilled. full stadium, end to end game with some amazing tries.

we have won 5 and lost 12 since inception in 2007, and a lost a couple of close ones also. i wouldn't think the seagulls / chargers / giants would have taken that many games off brisbane. i can only remember the 25-12 win at carrara, but there was probably more.

i take your point that maybe we competed harder every game, but if i had the time to look it up, we probably got smashed a few times too.

but would absolutely love the jersey. if we dont use it for heritage round, we should definitely use it for old boys day
    I'm happy to disagree with you on this one. There is absolutely no feeling whatsoever in our games against the Broncos. Yes, we lost our fair share of Derby's back then but the feeling was much different for any other game. There was always a bumper crowd (regardless of how we were going) and the atmosphere was just different. Our first few Broncos games were this way but that feeling is no longer.

Ive designed some titans heritage jerseys
    just wondering how to upload them because the insert picture button is not working for me
    cheers

happy to disagree also, although i understand where you are coming from with most of it except for the crowd. We never filled the 13,500 seat Seagulls stadium against brisbane, although we came close in the first or second year we were in the comp.

I think most derbies in the comp are more sterile now than 80s and 90s when game was less flash and more tribal.

But i'm happy to leave it there and remember it differently. that's what makes this forum great.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    happy to disagree also, although i understand where you are coming from with most of it except for the crowd. We never filled the 13,500 seat Seagulls stadium against brisbane, although we came close in the first or second year we were in the comp.

I think most derbies in the comp are more sterile now than 80s and 90s when game was less flash and more tribal.

But i'm happy to leave it there and remember it differently. that's what makes this forum great.
    With the removal of the biff and shoulder charges it has made these derby games much less interesting IMO.

I reckon that boils down to new team euphoria and competitiveness ... granted the contemporary franchise lacks a certain siege mentality but surely a lot of that is down to where the club sits within the community. A rip-roaring team, a real chance at smashing the old enemy and fans will get tribal even if it's only to emulate the 'old days'. I think the club has to play that hand though, rather than promote fantasy nights.

Just took this quiz
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugb...31-gjc265.html

And I am truly a Titans fan...

upload foto

Hmm..........Looks like I am switching to Raiders...even though I hate the cold?

So mods.......You may need to ban me once I get cracking after 10pm.

Yeah, it's a worry. Apparently I'm a Westie (Panthers). Though it seems like a dodgy questionnaire when one chose the Beach over the Suburbs and yet you get that result.

Nothing wrong with being a Wests Panther ... but they branded me a teke.
    Last edited by Titanic; 02-09-15 at 01:50 PM.

I got Newcastle, sort of close in a way.