Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Discussion: Fullback for 2016

Sorry to make a new thread but thought it would be good to have a discussion on who should be our first choice fullback in 2016 and onwards? James Roberts has put his hand up which makes the competitors Jimmy, Mead and Hoffy. So what's your opinion? Who's the best choice? Here's my thoughts:

JAMES ROBERTS
    Pros: Dangerous player who can bust up defensive lines and cause havoc. Is averaging close to 5 tackle busts a game and this could skyrocket with a move to the middle where he is running at tired forwards.

Cons: Probably our most dangerous strike weapon on the edges which make it hard to move him from there. Has really cemented his spot at centre this year.

DAVID MEAD
    Pros: Always reliable at the back. Has great positioning, especially on the line with grubbers, and puts his body on the line constantly. Also knows how to run a good inside line.

Cons: Has been awesome for us on the wing and isn't a really dangerous player. Doesn't make him terrible but he doesn't threaten defensive lines.

JOSH HOFFMAN
    Pros: Usually very good in defence (hasn't been outstanding lately) and is safe under the high ball. A very solid option.

Cons: Needs to learn how to PASS THE BALL. So many times we have space and opportunities on the outside but he doesn't pass. Does tend to also over run passes a lot.

So weighing up the pros and cons, I have decided with the Jet. Although he has really found his place in the centres this year, I feel we need to give him a chance at FB. Can see him causing destruction and busting up the middle. The images of LG throwing an inside ball to a sprinting Roberts Anyway here is how my backline would look like in the next few years:

1. James Roberts
    2. David Mead
    3. Josh Hoffman
    4. Nene Macdonald (need to fix up his defence though)
    5. Anthony Don

Then we have Brian Kelly and others pushing up to break into the team.

What are your thoughts though?
    Last edited by Titan4Life; 24-08-15 at 04:29 PM.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Sorry to make a new thread but thought it would be good to have a discussion on who should be our first choice fullback in 2016 and onwards? James Roberts has put his hand up which makes the competitors Jimmy, Mead and Hoffy. So what's your opinion? Who's the best choice? Here's my thoughts:

JAMES ROBERTS
    Pros: Dangerous player who can bust up defensive lines and cause havoc. Is averaging close to 5 tackle busts a game and this could skyrocket with a move to the middle where he is running at tired forwards.

Cons: Probably our most dangerous strike weapon on the edges which make it hard to move him from there. Has really cemented his spot at centre this year.

DAVID MEAD
    Pros: Always reliable at the back. Has great positioning, especially on the line with grubbers, and puts his body on the line constantly. Also knows how to run a good inside line.

Cons: Has been awesome for us on the wing and isn't a really dangerous player. Doesn't make him terrible but he doesn't threaten defensive lines.

JOSH HOFFMAN
    Pros: Usually very good in defence (hasn't been outstanding lately) and is safe under the high ball. A very solid option.

Cons: Needs to learn how to PASS THE BALL. So many times we have space and opportunities on the outside but he doesn't pass. Does tend to also over run passes a lot.

So weighing up the pros and cons, I have decided with the Jet. Although he has really found his place in the centres this year, I feel we need to give him a chance at FB. Can see him causing destruction and busting up the middle. My backline in the next few years would be looking like:

1. James Roberts
    2. David Mead
    3. Josh Hoffman
    4. Nene Macdonald (need to fix up his defence though)
    5. Anthony Don

Then we have Brian Kelly and others pushing up to break into the team.

What are your thoughts though?
    I like that backline, don't mind the thought of putting nene to wing as well and moving Don/Mead to Centre. But all in all, could develop into a strong back 5, just hoping he gets a chance there.

Love the photos as well, definitely making the end of work better T4L! Are you able to also whack up a poll?

Cant forget zilly

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I like that backline, don't mind the thought of putting nene to wing as well and moving Don/Mead to Centre. But all in all, could develop into a strong back 5, just hoping he gets a chance there.

Love the photos as well, definitely making the end of work better T4L!
    Thanks for the input. Definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to move a more capable defender such as Mead into the centres and put Nene out wide. Guess it's something for Neil to work on in the pre-season.

Haha cheers man, thought it would look more professional

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Cant forget zilly
    Ummm yeah...'forgot'
    #iwillneverwalkaway

I'd love to see Jimmy get more ball, I think he'd be damaging at fullback. Imo I prefer Hoffy up in the line, he's solid defensively and I think he should be there. I'd say our backline should be

1. Roberts
    2. Don/KFFL/Kelly
    3. Hoffman
    4. MacDonald
    5. Mead

Or...

1. Roberts
    2. Don
    3. Hoffman
    4. Mead
    5. MacDonald

Meady is a solid defender and Nene is extremely good for cross field kicks, although Nene has shown he can be damaging at centre. No matter what, there are some good back five selection headaches for next season. And tbh I don't think Zilly should get a look in based on the form and the promise our back five has shown, why break that up.
    Last edited by TitanSam; 24-08-15 at 04:37 PM.

Hoffy into the line would be another ball strangler stifling the attack, mead to centre way outta position and away from his best position, Error ridden Roberts back into a defensive position like FB equals chaotic backline, all this without adding zillman into the mix.

Mead to move to super league in 2017 and take zilly with him will fix a few probs
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Hoffy into the line would be another ball strangler stifling the attack, mead to centre way outta position and away from his best position, Error ridden Roberts back into a defensive position like FB equals chaotic backline, all this without adding zillman into the mix.

Mead to move to super league in 2017 and take zilly with him will fix a few probs
    Not with a 1 year old
    #itaintweaktospeak

Why are we considering changing our best attacking weapon of the year?

It would seem that Hoffman is our fullback and swaps out with Mead when he is tired. In which case the opposition send everything down that wing.

I wouldn't change where Roberts plays but rather change our play to suit him and give him the room he needs to flourish. We are very one dimensional in our attacking line, no decoys, no second line. Adapt to his style put the defence in two minds and aloow him to do what he does and score tries.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Why are we considering changing our best attacking weapon of the year?

It would seem that Hoffman is our fullback and swaps out with Mead when he is tired. In which case the opposition send everything down that wing.

I wouldn't change where Roberts plays but rather change our play to suit him and give him the room he needs to flourish. We are very one dimensional in our attacking line, no decoys, no second line. Adapt to his style put the defence in two minds and aloow him to do what he does and score tries.
    The off season priority should be to get Roberts quicker ball. He rarely scores a traditional centres try and most of them this year has been down to his speed and individual talent. Put him in some space and reap the results. Why move a bloke and weaken one position. That said I have been a bit disappointed with Hoff this year. I initially felt for him because he was get stuffed around swapping with Zillman each game but he hasn't shown much at fullback when left there.
    So it's stick with Hoff or go to Mead, and I probably prefer Mead but then it's the wing for Hoff or out of the side.

i think you are all forgetting that Jarryd Hayne will be looking for a club shortly with these spotty efforts in his NFL attempt.

He will be so embarrassed by his failure on the world stage that he wont even want to face family and friends in sydney, which rules out the Roosters, and will end up here where nobody really watches us play.

im calling TAB and getting on.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Not with a 1 year old
    Im sure the club is going to rely on that fact come July next yr.

If he wanted any kind of fun for the rest of his career it would be to get out and let the young talent come through
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i think you are all forgetting that Jarryd Hayne will be looking for a club shortly with these spotty efforts in his NFL attempt.

He will be so embarrassed by his failure on the world stage that he wont even want to face family and friends in sydney, which rules out the Roosters, and will end up here where nobody really watches us play.

im calling TAB and getting on.
    Yeah Jarryd might find appeal in coming to us. After all we can always guarantee that he'll have September off!

I think everyone forgets that JR grew up playing in fullback, it is also his preferred position, and the fact people say he is our most lethal weapon atm playing in centre (where he barely gets the ball) imagine if he plays fullback when he chooses when to inject himself wherever he wants in the field.

You can't compare Mansour and JR, they are totally different players. Mansour relies on bashing his way through the defence, where JR palm and steps his way around the defence, he doesnt make much distance running from dummy half.

He was also only getting early ball in the season when Aidan Sezer was there giving it to him (whilst Bird was suspended), Bird will only choke up JR. JR is an instinctive player and should be able to roam freely around the field and trail behind certain people eg Kane Elgey, but he won't be able to at centre because Kane plays on the other side of the field.

I like Mead at fullback but I don't see too much difference with him playing from wing as he will still take the hard runs from dummy or 1st receiver.

My preference (at least at trial):
    1. James Roberts
    2. David Mead
    3. NA
    4. Josh Hoffman (waste of money this guy - Nene is already better than him at 25% of his price)

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Not with a 1 year old
    Mead is one of Trent Barrett's fav's...

As for Roberts..........I am far far from an expert and although he played his 'youth' football at Fullback 'adult' football I would have thought is a totally different game. Again, IMO he has most of the requirements to be sensational but the one thing missing is the 'smarts'. You have to be a thinker, not only of your own game but of those around you (including opposition). I do not think he has the smarts ATM.

Mead. He is our best fullback. I'm stunned that he isn't given the 1 permanently.