Default Roberts eyes move to fullback

TITANS jet James Roberts has revealed his desire to emulate Greg Inglis and make a shock move to fullback.

Roberts has equalled David Mead’s Titans season tryscoring record (16) and could eclipse it against the Raiders in his 50th NRL match at Cbus Super Stadium tomorrow.

With three matches to go and the Titans out of finals contention, Roberts has set his sights on producing a stunning pre-season to push his claims for the Gold Coast’s No. 1 jersey in 2016.

The 22-year-old has a highlights reel at fullback many would envy and has been eased into first grade at centre but the best way to expose his lightning speed and brute strength is to get his hands on the ball from the backfield.

“I grew up playing fullback most of my life,” he said.

“That’s always (something I could do). It’d be nice to.

“It’d get me a lot more involved in the game. It’d be good.

“We’ll see what happens. I’m not too fussed. I’m happy at centre but I’ll play wherever the coach puts me.”

Inglis has made stunning transition from centre to fullback for the Rabbitohs, who he piloted to last year’s NRL premiership.

At 85kg, Roberts isn’t as imposing as the 105kg Inglis but he knows a big pre-season in the gym and improving his fitness will put him on the path to becoming a career custodian.

“For me to become a fullback I have to become a lot more fitter than I am now,” he said.

“You can see by the way his (Inglis) body’s changed. He’s doing a lot more running.

“There’s always room for improvement (in the pre-season). Mainly my fitness for next year. That’s always a goal.

“A bit more on my strength as well. I want to put a bit of weight on.”
    Roberts, who has 32 tries in 49 NRL matches, will join Will Zillman, Josh Hoffman and Mead as candidates for the No.1 jersey next season.

He is one of just three players — including Luke Douglas and Hoffman — to play every match for the Titans this year in what’s been his most consistent season since debuting in 2011 for South Sydney.

Roberts had 14 tries after 14 matches but has felt the effects of the Gold Coast’s horrible form drop with just two in the past seven games.

While Mead hasn’t scored in his past 10 games, he will be happy for Roberts to break the record he set in 2011 and is hoping a move to fullback is on the cards.

“It’s been a long time coming. Someone should have broken it since 2011 and there’s no better player to break it than Jimmy,” he said.

“He certainly deserves it. Some of the tries he’s scored have been unbelievable and from individual brilliance.

“I’ve seen some of his highlights at fullback and he’s unbelievable. He’s lightning quick.

“It’s scary what he can do and what he’s capable of.

“As long as he keeps improving, he’s only going to get better.”

Mead’s longest tryscoring drought (11 games) was back in 2010-11 and he was unlucky not to score against the Storm recently when he was held off the ball by Marika Koroibete.

“I had a couple of opportunities which I was pretty filthy on,” he said.

“Hopefully I can get something (tomorrow) and for the rest of the year.”

Yeeeewwwww definitely hoping this happens, would easily be his best position, and could be a beast in broken field running.

I know all the Mead supporters won't like this, but I would shift Mead to the centres as he is a better defender than JR and would make it harder for the opposition to dent the first line of defence. Would also allow JR to be where he wants to be, can just trail behind Kane Elgey and im sure he could get put into some space.

Fingers crosses

4 part time fbs, nice
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

He should be given a shot in the pre season
    #itaintweaktospeak

TBH, I'm more concerned about the niggling leg strain/injury he seems to be carrying over the last two rounds. It's a trait* that I was hoping that left our club behind when Carty departed.

* That trait being, where we've pushed players until they've eventually broken down, even though it's fairly evident they need resting.

Last thing we need is Jet to go down with a ACL that shat itself, very late in the season.

No one is going to bring up his defence? Or lack there of? Or are we going to do the swapsy thing?

This is something that, if he had the energy for, he could come in out of the centres and add to our attacking prowess now but he doesn't. He could be our Mansour but doesn't have the fitness.

At no stage in the above article do I read that Roberts started the conversation of wanting to be a fullback. It seems someone asked him if he wanted to be fullback and it went from there. Mead, Hoffman, Zillman (Gordon, Don perhaps?) also want to be fullback. The same reporter could start the conversation exactly the same way with these other 3 (5) and you would hear similar replies.

You're right Shamus ... I want to be fullback too, how about you? Pure speculative tripe. Roberts' needs a lot more work to get past being a 3 steps forwards and three steps back style of player.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.