Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans rebuild plan cops a blow

Titans rebuild plan cops a blow as Recruitment Boss, Jamie Mathiou confirms resignation
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN AUGUST 14, 2015 12:00AM

THE Gold Coast Titans’ rebuilding plans have been dealt a blow following the shock resignation of recruitment boss Jamie Mathiou.

Mathiou tendered his resignation on Wednesday, surprising many at the Titans given he had a three-year contract to help turn the club into a premiership force.

Mathiou joined the Titans in October last year and was one of incoming coach Neil Henry’s key football staffing appointments.

Mathiou confirmed he had resigned when contacted by the Gold Coast Bulletin last night and cited “work commitments” for his departure but politely declined to comment further.

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley said Mathiou would leave the club on good terms.

“There’s no problem. He’s not leaving with any kind of animosity,” he said.

“He runs a very successful business and wants to concentrate on that next year.

“He’s going to stay with us until the end of the season. He is not walking away right now.

“Jamie’s been an important part of the football staff and rebuild of the club’s playing roster. There are no ill feelings by either party and we wish him well.”

Mathiou had an eventful season in charge of the Gold Coast’s recruitment strategy.

The former Roosters recruitment co-ordinator played a role in signing Daly Cherry-Evans but when the Manly ace sensationally reneged, Mathiou was left with a tough assignment to add quality players to the Gold Coast’s roster in short time.

He has managed to sign Broncos young gun Ashley Taylor and Newcastle halfback Tyrone Roberts along with veteran trio David Shillington, Nathan Friend and Zeb Taia.

Mathiou was also involved in the club’s decision to not exercise an option to keep captain Nate Myles on the Gold Coast, which led to the Origin veteran signing a three-year deal with Manly.

The Titans have made big changes to their playing roster this season with Henry and Mathiou at the helm.

Dave Taylor will move to the Super League next season while reigning player of the year Beau Falloon hasn’t been offered a contract extension.

Annesley said Mathiou’s departure wasn’t ideal however, the club was in a good position heading into the 2016 season.

“We’ve pretty much put our roster in place for next season,” he said.

“There won’t be any major additions to the squad until the end of next year.

“We’ve still got a bit of money left in our salary cap but we’re taking our time with that for 2016.

“Jamie’s been an integral part of putting the squad together with Neil to take the club forward.

“It’s obviously a blow when you lose any member of your organisation but there’s no animosity or drama.”

Mathiou, a former first grade prop with North Sydney, North Queensland and Leeds, will see out the remainder of the season with the Titans.

- - - Updated - - -

... aaaand our off-field operation is looking even shakier than our 2016 line up.

My only hope is that Graham Annesley, Neil Henry and co. aren't far behind Jamie en route to the exit.

Bit harsh really they have done well considering the mess they have been giving

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    Titans rebuild plan cops a blow as Recruitment Boss, Jamie Mathiou confirms resignation
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN AUGUST 14, 2015 12:00AM

THE Gold Coast Titans’ rebuilding plans have been dealt a blow following the shock resignation of recruitment boss Jamie Mathiou.

Mathiou tendered his resignation on Wednesday, surprising many at the Titans given he had a three-year contract to help turn the club into a premiership force.

Mathiou joined the Titans in October last year and was one of incoming coach Neil Henry’s key football staffing appointments.

Mathiou confirmed he had resigned when contacted by the Gold Coast Bulletin last night and cited “work commitments” for his departure but politely declined to comment further.

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley said Mathiou would leave the club on good terms.

“There’s no problem. He’s not leaving with any kind of animosity,” he said.

“He runs a very successful business and wants to concentrate on that next year.

“He’s going to stay with us until the end of the season. He is not walking away right now.

“Jamie’s been an important part of the football staff and rebuild of the club’s playing roster. There are no ill feelings by either party and we wish him well.”

Mathiou had an eventful season in charge of the Gold Coast’s recruitment strategy.

The former Roosters recruitment co-ordinator played a role in signing Daly Cherry-Evans but when the Manly ace sensationally reneged, Mathiou was left with a tough assignment to add quality players to the Gold Coast’s roster in short time.

He has managed to sign Broncos young gun Ashley Taylor and Newcastle halfback Tyrone Roberts along with veteran trio David Shillington, Nathan Friend and Zeb Taia.

Mathiou was also involved in the club’s decision to not exercise an option to keep captain Nate Myles on the Gold Coast, which led to the Origin veteran signing a three-year deal with Manly.

The Titans have made big changes to their playing roster this season with Henry and Mathiou at the helm.

Dave Taylor will move to the Super League next season while reigning player of the year Beau Falloon hasn’t been offered a contract extension.

Annesley said Mathiou’s departure wasn’t ideal however, the club was in a good position heading into the 2016 season.

“We’ve pretty much put our roster in place for next season,” he said.

“There won’t be any major additions to the squad until the end of next year.

“We’ve still got a bit of money left in our salary cap but we’re taking our time with that for 2016.

“Jamie’s been an integral part of putting the squad together with Neil to take the club forward.

“It’s obviously a blow when you lose any member of your organisation but there’s no animosity or drama.”

Mathiou, a former first grade prop with North Sydney, North Queensland and Leeds, will see out the remainder of the season with the Titans.

- - - Updated - - -

... aaaand our off-field operation is looking even shakier than our 2016 line up.

My only hope is that Graham Annesley, Neil Henry and co. aren't far behind Jamie en route to the exit.

Knick knack patty whack give a DOG a bone
    DCE f.........k off home

I've admire Mathiou's work with our NRL squad given the circumstances, however I can't say the same with his approach to our junior retention (below U20's level) and it certainly caused some heat between young players, Mathiou and the general GCJRL population.

I highly doubt he's leaving because he wants to pursue his business. Something has happened.

Another blow and along with a fitness trainer, is another key staff position we need filled.

Feeling a bit nervous about everything right now...no stability. No roster. No staff :/

No stability at present worries me, hopefully the roles vacated is filled quickly especially the head trainer role its just as important as a coach.

When I read the headline I said to myself "Oh sh1t!"

When I read the this I said something a bit more harsh....

"“We’ve pretty much put our roster in place for next season,” he said.

“There won’t be any major additions to the squad until the end of next year."

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    When I read the headline I said to myself "Oh sh1t!"

When I read the this I said something a bit more harsh....

"“We’ve pretty much put our roster in place for next season,” he said.

“There won’t be any major additions to the squad until the end of next year."
    You and I have been banging on about the fact that we have signed nuffies (except Taylor) for next season and quite a few posters have told me to settle and see what happens. Fair enough, but if people are not worried about next season now, then I don't know what would worry them.
    I can see my Titanium membership being downgraded for a limited game membership. Why continue to shell out $1100 for membership if the same old sh1t is likely to be dished up.
    I continue to be very frustrated by this club, particularly the lack of quality signings and lack of progress off field re the training base, stadium arrangements etc. I am quickly coming to the view that Graham Annesley, nice bloke yes but quality CEO no.

i can understand some people on here getting worried and impatient to a degree K2G and I cant read MT's post, but I imagine its another negative one, but this is going to take 3 years minimum, and it starts small.

We tried big names the other year and got idris, douglas, taylor, champion....how did that go? ****e because there was no foundation.

Henry and Graham A have a long term plan clearly and they aren't being spooked by impatient fans or media. To cut them off and start again in a year or two with new coach or CEO would put it back another few years...so be careful what you wish for.

People on here complaining about everything who have a thirst for success and a lack of knowledge in how to rebuild a club would be funny if it wasn't so god dam annoying.

Junior

This was supposed to be our rebuilding year. Now we're talking about three rebuilding years at a minimum? I've been a loyal fan for three years now (i.e., Gold and Titanium memberships plus attending every stinking home game), but...I'm sorry, I can't go full-on Jordan King (Titans Facebook followers will understand the reference).

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Doodle Titan View Post
    This was supposed to be our rebuilding year. Now we're talking about three rebuilding years at a minimum? I've been a loyal fan for three years now (i.e., Gold and Titanium memberships plus attending every stinking home game), but...I'm sorry, I can't go full-on Jordan King (Titans Facebook followers will understand the reference).
    Rebuilding was always going to take that time, irrespective of when it started

panthers had a 5 year plan, South's built over 4 years or so.

Its only Wayne Bennett that can apparently overhaul a roster overnight and go from cellar to penthouse in 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I can see my Titanium membership being downgraded for a limited game membership. Why continue to shell out $1100 for membership if the same old sh1t is likely to be dished up.
    Unfortunately you aren't the only one. I'm being told that next year we won't be spending big dollars on memberships and our friends have told us the same thing from over the other side of the field that next year they will be getting a 4 game flexi pass.

Yankee Doodle Titan, I think i sit near you. Are you on the 50m line (eastern) row 11? I'm row 13.

Anyway, the Panthers analogy probably isn't the best. The older statesmen they bought on either were injured or retired within the first year and they aren't exactly setting the NRL on fire at the moment. But at some point all those teams paid big dollars for players to come to their club.

If I'm looking at light at the end of the tunnel, I'm a Reds fan so rebuilding is my middle name, that and the article suggests we have spare cap (contrary to previous articles indicating a mess of a salary cap) so we may be able to pick up a sacked or disgraced player, or possibly a returning rugby player whom will shall assign the code name "Ten Beo".

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    and I cant read MT's post, but I imagine its another negative one
    Thanks for that mate.
    Without having to justify myself to you, I have only been negative when it has come to club signings and my concerns about us signing too many less than middle of the road players. That and the gushing praise that some give average players after one decent game.
    I have never called for the coaches head and not really commented about the CEO until the post above, not that you specifically said I have.
    You are obviously entitled to your views about rebuilding and how to go about it but don't assume that because they disagree with you they have a lack of knowledge in how it's done. There are also many on here who have a lengthy history following other clubs and would have observed many different ways how success is achieved.
    Rant over.

It's the devil you do or the devil you don't scenario ... but the bottom line is built on the question: are we Titans supporters?

I have never been a fan of either Henry or Annersley, as you all know, and sadly that's playing out as predicted but that doesn't mean I am not a Titans supporter. It doesn't mean that I will not continue to watch every game I can nor does it mean that when I'm home I won't break my butt to get to a game just to witness another depressing loss and (i) when I flew my family from Cairns to Darwin and back just to be ignored by the players and (ii) more recently when I left a Chinese delegation in Brisbane to have beer poured all over me those are the types of commitments you make, as well as handing over your hard-earned.

Eventually something will give and the club will right itself but it won't without people like us. The positives are more in the people who have left rather than in those who have joined. Searle and Cartwright in particular, players such as Myles and Taylor to a lesser extent.

For sure, Mathiou isn't going because of some world-shattering need to be elsewhere but does it really matter? Players will go where they can earn or get opportunities.

If I had a say in the organisation, I would look to some old-school heads like Dennis Ward who are junior and development focused to devise a development plan. I would also engage a football director to oversee the implementation of that plan, someone like Rick Stone.
    Last edited by Titanic; 14-08-15 at 01:16 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

wasnt talking about the quality of the plan at all. don't give a toss about their strategic direction...

Just the fact that the understood they needed one and designated a period of time to implement plans and build.

Scrap the club and start fresh in Ipswich
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]