Default Dancer is Titans’ next big thing

Gold Coast Titans’ next big thing is a former hip hop dancer Greg Leleisiuao
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN AUGUST 13, 2015 12:00AM

THE Gold Coast Titans’ next big thing is a former hip hop dancer who rises at 2am to work in a fruit market.

Samoan sensation Greg Leleisiuao has stunned the under-20s Holden Cup this season with his bustling ball-running and scintillating speed.

A 10-minute Youtube highlights reel shows the 18-year-old destroying opponents for Gold Coast Green in the Mal Meninga Cup this year and he has gone on to play eight matches for the under-20s.

The Titans are making moves to lock up Leleisiuao long-term but his meteoric rise nearly didn’t eventuate.

Leleisiuao was signed on a $1000 contract last year after dominating Keebra Park in a third division schoolboys competition for Woodridge High School.

The Auckland-born flyer lives in the Logan suburb of Marsden, sleeps four hours a night and catches public transport to train with the Titans.

It’s a taxing life for a teenager but Leleisiuao’s dream of playing NRL stems from his desire to support the large family he shares a home with.

“The struggle has always been there for our family but it’s good to be there for them,” he said.

“I just want to get to the NRL as quick as possible. I’m working hard for that.

“I love the game but for the love of my family. I want to support them more than anything.

“I’d love to wake up and know my job is training and playing.

“That’s what I’d like to do.”

Leleisiuao left his family in Auckland in 2011 to live with an uncle in Melbourne.

It was then he started playing rugby league and a move to Logan with his family in 2013 saw him pursue a professional career following five years as a hip hop dancer.

“I went to the Hip Hop Internationals in Las Vegas for two years in a row,” he said.

“I just got sick of it. I wasn’t fully committing myself or getting anything out of it.

“I wasn’t doing anything so I thought I’d take up rugby league. I’d never taken interest in a full season.

“I’ve grown a love for fullback. My running game is better than my passing game.”

Under-20s players are required to work or study outside of football but Leleisiuao’s schedule is far more demanding than most.

He starts work at the Rocklea Markets in Brisbane at 3am then catches a train to Robina in the afternoon to train with the Titans.

“It sucks when you have training late and have to get up that early,” he said.

“I don’t take naps because if I do I’ll end up missing the train to get to training.

“Sometimes I’m late and it looks bad on me but Woolfy (coach Ben Woolf) is understanding (of my situation). He’s not too harsh on me.

“Sometimes I get home at 8.30 and get a maximum of four hours sleep then go to work.

“I’m hoping I can get a (contract) extension by the end of this year. I’d love to stay at this club.

“It’s nice and close to the family. I don’t want to move away to Sydney.”

It’s been an up-and-down season for the Titans under-20s but Woolf can see plenty of positive in Leleisiuao.

He averages eight tackle breaks a game, regularly runs more than 200m and if he can find more time to dedicate to football then his potential may be reached.

“He puts a bit into it with his work and training,” Woolf said.

“He’s a strong powerful runner of the ball who can beat his man. He’s a bit like Solomone Kata from the Warriors.

“He’s quite fast and good on his feet. He’s got high tackle breaks every game.

“He’s a kid that had enormous talent but nearly floated through unseen through different circumstances.

“He’s got a heap of ability. His natural ability is untapped.

“He’s a very raw talent at the moment that will take a bit of time.”

- - - Updated - - -

For those that want a refresher ...

GL ma boi.

Freaky player and good to see his potential praised, a few of our u20s boys have received a really good wrap in the media this year

great article and what commitment shown from the young man, hopefully he will be looked after by the titans hierarchy, as from his limited games this year he oozes talent and is a player who should be locked away long term

Absolute gun future superstar , he must be signed up long term
    #itaintweaktospeak

How many time have we heard the next big thing, see how is going in a couple of season in top grade before we can say that.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

The article we should be reading is "Titans sign next big thing". I don't mind kids getting promising articles like this but I really wonder how this guy, who has been touted by just about everyone who has seen him play as 'the next big thing', hasn't been signed already? WTF? Just offer him an incentive-based deal with options in the club's favour that includes getting him to training on time and then see where it goes ... hardly rocket science.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Wow.. can't believe the negative comments that this post is getting. People need to be positive that we are getting some good press regarding the club instead of doubting his credentials and skill. It seems like some people on here can never be happy no matter what we do.

Good luck to the kid, and his effort to work and provide for himself (and family) as well as trying to make a career out of football has to be congratulated. No doubt the administration is working behind the scenes to get him locked up.

It's just like everyone slamming the club for not making who we are chasing or signing public knowledge. And no wonder they don't after the DCE saga, people need to get there knickers out of a twist and stop having sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeGC View Post
    Wow.. can't believe the negative comments that this post is getting. People need to be positive that we are getting some good press regarding the club instead of doubting his credentials and skill. It seems like some people on here can never be happy no matter what we do.

Good luck to the kid, and his effort to work and provide for himself (and family) as well as trying to make a career out of football has to be congratulated. No doubt the administration is working behind the scenes to get him locked up.

It's just like everyone slamming the club for not making who we are chasing or signing public knowledge. And no wonder they don't after the DCE saga, people need to get there knickers out of a twist and stop having sour grapes.
    Yep.

For anyone who has seen this kid play, he has the natural footwork, flair and instinct that cannot be coached. He is something special without a doubt and will only get better as he gets introduced to a professional environment.

Expect him to train with NRL in the off-season at the very least.

My biggest question is, where does he play long term? His kick returns from fullback are incredible and his ability to sneak in to dummy half and make breaks up the middle is impressive. Centre or fullback for mine...

Immortal

Fullback for me, he has come on in leaps and bounds, which is incredible for starting work at that hour and then catching a train to and from the coast. Great story, freak of an athlete

We have such great talent coming through in our outside backs, and this guys freakish, we'll be good for years to come in our outside backs stocks

I think fullback will be his role, but if he keeps growing I can see him being developed as a strike centre and agree with HS his instinct to create is second to none and he is very well balanced and very powerful of the mark

Good article. I know we shouldn't compare young blokes to the top raters but I see Inglis like qualities in him when I have watched him play.

Exciting stuff. Thanks for the video, was great.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

kid has to train hard and take his opportunities.

We've seen better come through in the jnrs to disappear. Good luck to him and I hope he's is sniped before This Titans setup gets to him
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]