Stadium deal next on Dave Smith's NRL to-do list

The richest television rights deal in Australian free-to-air history may be NRL boss Dave Smith's crowning glory but it will not be his final act as chief executive.

Smith even hinted that it would take a decade to fulfil all his wishes for the game's long-term direction. Once he puts the finishing touches on the pay-TV element of the broadcast agreement Smith's focus will shift to completing the game's stadia policy and securing the funds to leave a legacy for the NRL Foundation. The NRL launched its whole of game foundation in July to provide assistance to players who suffer catastrophic injuries, while Smith has led the push to the NSW state government to turn Moore Park into a rugby league haven.

Smith played down speculation he would walk away from the game once he secured the broadcast deal. The former banker is in his third year as NRL boss since taking over from David Gallop.

"This is three years into taking advantage of a massive opportunity we have as a game," Smith said. "You'd have to take a 10-year view [to complete the long-term vision]. I think a lot of people expect you to fix things up and solve some of the problems quickly and you do the best job you can.

"There are a number of big components you need to put in place. Stadiums is one, making the game financially strong. By the way, I think we're in a much, much better shape than we have ever been.

"There is a ton of work. If I think about my to-do list, it is massive. This is one bit of it. It's an important bit of it. There's a lot more to be done.

"It needs somebody to lead it. It needs a strong leader and hopefully I've demonstrated I can do that.

"When you're in a job like this there is a certain level of obligation, no question. It is an intense job but a big CEO job anywhere is intense but of course you feel an obligation."

Smith also wants to turn each club into viable entities. He also wants to build on the international game which will now be played in a dedicated window after the NRL season.

"We're in a much, much better shape than we have ever been," Smith said. "We're well down the track of making the clubs more prosperous.

"Frankly, I don't want the clubs to be worried about whether it rains on a Saturday, and whether their crowd is going to be 10,000 less and the impact that has on their day-to-day P and L [profit and loss statement].

"Also, building the contemporary future for the game. That will be as much about the digital media world we are going to live in, the stadiums that offer the right experience for casual fans as well as hardcore fans.

"We haven't even begun to give thought to the region and our friends down in New Zealand. We haven't really concentrated on the international game.

"There is a clear pathway. We're on it. We're going pretty well, far from perfect, but I'd rather be me than some other sports. There is a lot for us to do and we're making great progress."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/