Default Rookie Kane Elgey says he’s ready to lead Gold Coast Titans into a new era

Rookie Kane Elgey says he’s ready to lead Gold Coast Titans into a new era

TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN AUGUST 03, 2015 12:00AM

GOLD Coast rookie Kane Elgey has abandoned the “young and inexperienced” excuse and declared he’s ready to lead the Titans into a new era.

The 21-year-old halfback will be entrusted with being the Gold Coast’s general next season when he forms a playmaking partnership with untested Broncos young gun Ashley Taylor.

Taylor has spurned interest from the Cowboys and Manly to finally sign a two-year deal with the Titans which will be announced tomorrow.

Taylor will arrive at the Gold Coast without an NRL game next to his name while Elgey has played just 11 so far in his debut season after being crowned the NYC under-20s player of the year in 2014.

While leading a team in your second season is a daunting prospect, the Palm Beach Currumbin product said he’s ready to assume the authority needed to dig the Titans out of a five-year finals exile.

“I might have to be that senior (half) but it could be good for me to tell you the truth,” Elgey said.

“In the under-20s I got made captain and I had a great year. That responsibility can be good.

“I can’t keep using the young and inexperienced excuse. I’ve got to keep working at it.

“I’m trying not to think too much about next year. I just want to finish this year good.

“We need some wins and I need a little confidence. Losing every week takes it out of you a bit.

“I want to get my game right and help the team finish well.”

Elgey was licking his lips at the prospect of plying his trade under Daly Cherry-Evans next season before DCE backflipped to stay at Manly.

The Titans have flagged interest in Knights playmaker Tyrone Roberts and Canberra’s Sam Williams but it’s looking like Elgey and Taylor will share the duties.

There will certainly been some teething problems with an inexperienced halves pairing but Elgey said he was determined to step up.

“I’ve played a few games against (Taylor),” he said.

“He’s a good player. He’s very controlled and has a good kicking game.

“I need to work on my composure and take control. I need to get the respect of everyone.

“I’m feeling more comfortable telling them (teammates) what to do. I’m not the young one anymore.

“I’ve got a lot to learn. I had to step up when we didn’t have anyone and I had to play.

“We got on a little roll and won a few games. It was hard at the start but it’s all good now.”

The Titans head into tonight’s clash against the Eels at Cbus Super Stadium without captain Nate Myles who is battling a shoulder injury.

Coach Neil Henry will bring either Dave Taylor or David Hala into the squad to replace Myles while Kalifa Faifai Loa will come on to the wing in place of Kevin Gordon.

Elgey has overcome concussion to take his place and winger David Mead said having the No.7 back alongside Aidan Sezer would help the Titans snap a five-match losing streak.

“Having Elgey and Sezer back will have a huge impact on us scoring some points,” Mead said.

“They’ve been working hard and I’m sure we’ll get some points.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1227467179185

Nice to hear Kane speaking about taking control as he is a very mature young man with a cool head on his shoulders
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior

Kane sounds like a glass half full kind of guy. He was looking forward to being the young apprentice and now finds himself in the opposite position and still manages to be positive. Good.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

The kind of person you want to build a club around and with. #stoptherot

Loved reading that article, he has all the attributes to be the future leader of our club. He is a no bullsh#t kind of bloke, who will take one on the chin if he doesn't perform (I like seeing that), unlike the Cartwright era when it was the opposition just played better than us speech. Great to develop a side around elgey, hopefully he learns a lot this season and can further develop by next season, and already seems to know the areas he needs improving. For a young bloke he is level headed which is rare now days, we got your back Kane born and bred Titan.

We are very lucky to have such a young, talented man to build the future. Uplifting article.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER