Default ‘Devastated’ Ridge on the move

Gold Coast forward Ben Ridge to look for new NRL club with Titans unlikely to re-sign
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JULY 29, 2015 10:15AM

HARD-hitting Gold Coast Titans forward Ben Ridge has been left “devastated” after being told his NRL future lies elsewhere.

Ridge is looking for a new club with the Titans unlikely to re-sign one of their most feared defenders beyond this season.

The 25-year-old has battled numerous injuries, including a severe broken ankle which resulted in four operations, throughout his eight seasons at the Titans.

He was a member of the Queensland Emerging Origin squad in 2013 but has faced a struggle to reach his potential and managed just 58 NRL appearances since debuting in 2010.
    According to his manager Andrew Woolnough, Ridge was willing to accept a pay-cut to extend his tenure by another season but he is now resigned to playing elsewhere in 2016.

“He’s devastated,” Woolnough said.

“He’s accumulated too many injuries over the last couple of years and they’re not prepared to persevere with him.

“He’s a fantastic player, is still young and played 50-odd first grade games. It’s disappointing.

“It was looking like he’d have to take a substantial cut which we would have considered.

“It’s just the way it is. It happens all the time.”

Ridge, who’s a favourite among his teammates, had a stellar pre-season and was shaping as an ideal replacement for Ashley Harrison in the No. 13 jersey.

But he suffered a torn pectoral muscle in the opening minutes of the Gold Coast’s first pre-season trial and didn’t play an NRL match until Round 10.

He has only made four appearances in the top grade this year but Woolnough was confident Ridge would find another club.

“The Titans brought him down from Yeppoon as a kid,” he said.

“We’ll have a look around and hopefully there’s someone out there.

“There is some interest but it’s not locked in or anything.”

Ridge was scouted from St Brendan’s College in Yeppoon, the school which produced Titans big man Dave Taylor and Broncos halfback Ben Hunt.

Taylor was yesterday named in a 19-man squad for Monday’s home game against Parramatta as coach Neil Henry sweats on the fitness of Nate Myles and Ryan James, who will receive the results of scans on their injured shoulders today.

Henry said he was impressed with parts of Taylor’s 80-minute performance for Tweed Heads on Sunday and he could be a chance of returning to the NRL against the lowly Eels.

“He got some confidence,” Henry said.

“He would say it was okay, not outstanding.

“He had a couple of nervous touches early but he finished the game strongly.

“We’ll see if he can force his way back into the 17.”

Halfback Kane Elgey has shown positive signs after suffering a heavy concussion against the Broncos but will undergo tests later in the week.

Hasnt really shown anything to warrant a new contract when he did play
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

still him > burr.

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Hasnt really shown anything to warrant a new contract when he did play
    I feel a bit for him, as in addition to appearing to be a decent bloke, I think bar injuries he would have reached a better level than he has.
    That said, we have too many players around his level of ability such as Paasi, Burr, Pettybourne, Robinson etc and we need to cut a few to free up funds for one or two with greater ability.
    I hope he does get picked up though.

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    still him > burr.
    I'd rather we persist with Lachy

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I feel a bit for him, as in addition to appearing to be a decent bloke, I think bar injuries he would have reached a better level than he has.
    That said, we have too many players around his level of ability such as Paasi, Burr, Pettybourne, Robinson etc and we need to cut a few to free up funds for one or two with greater ability.
    I hope he does get picked up though.
    I agree. It's a shame that the players that we need to move on (KG, Zillman, Srama and Taylor) will all be here next year whilst we can't re-sign or sign players with more desire and ability.

Wouldn't question his courage or commitment but offers little coming off the bench and lacks the skill set to start.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Injury draws a close to Ben Ridge’s career at Gold Coast Titans
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN AUGUST 01, 2015 12:00AM

BEN Ridge has played his last game for the Gold Coast *Titans with a knee injury ruling the hard-hitting forward out for the rest of the season.

Ridge is off contract and *resigned to being at a different club in 2016 following eight seasons and 58 NRL matches for the Gold Coast.

While Ridge will watch Monday’s game against Parramatta from the sideline at Cbus Super Stadium, hooker Kierran Moseley is expected to make his return to the NRL.

Moseley’s last appearance for the Titans was in Round 14 against Canterbury when he suffered a knee injury.

The 21-year-old played his first game back last weekend for Burleigh and is expected to come off the bench to relieve Beau Falloon.

If Moseley returns, it’s likely Daniel Mortimer will miss out again unless halfback Kane Elgey fails a concussion test.

Moseley has played 12 NRL games for the Titans this season and coach Neil Henry views him as the club’s long-term No.9.

Returning foundation hook*er Nathan Friend will play a mentoring role for Moseley next season and fullback Josh Hoffman said the youngster provided plenty of energy.

“He’s been training really hard to get to the position where he is now,” he said.

“He’s been in the Panthers system for a while and come to the Titans now. He brings a lot of spark and enthusiasm. It’s something I really like to play off the back of.

“Once I see him go out (from dummy-half) for a little sniff or something I’ll be there pushing up.”

Hoffman has been battling a nagging ankle problem which is likely to require clean-out surgery at the end of the season.

David Mead will move to fullback if Hoffman is unavailable but the No.1 said he was confident of taking on the Eels.

“It’s just a niggling injury that’s given me a bit of grief,” he said.

“I got through training which was pleasing. I chimed in and out of the session which allowed Meady to fill in at fullback.

“Every now and then when I get tackled the wrong way it gives me a bit of grief.

“I’ve just got to manage it and hopefully by Monday I’ll be 100 per cent. It has rattled the confidence a bit but it’s nothing too serious.”

Winger Kevin Gordon is under pressure to keep his place in the side with Kalifa Faifai Loa snapping at his heels while captain Nate Myles is battling to overcome a shoulder problem.

Good luck to Ridgey, technically one of the better front on defenders this club has produced in its short history.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Good luck to Ridgey, technically one of the better front on defenders this club has produced in its short history.
    Spot on mate , I always thought he reminded me of Bradley Clyde (younger members searching Google) when he 1st appeared for the Raiders who funnily enough had his career Filled with injuries too but the team he was a part of let him succeed at every level..

Good Luck Ridgey , good bloke surrounded by a great group of friends & Family at every game he's ever played even back in the 20's.
    #itaintweaktospeak