Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Round 21: TITANS vs EELS

TITANS vs EELS
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I'm back in Australia, let's see if I can be a lucky charm!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans refuse to concede season is over
    http://www.nrl.com/

Titans forward Lachlan Burr refuses to concede the Titans are out of finals contention. Credit: Robb Cox. Copyright: NRL Photos.
    Two of their best forwards are in doubt and they have suffered three heavy defeats in succession but Gold Coast Titans players refuse to concede their hopes of finals football have disappeared.

Captain Nate Myles and Ryan James were both heading for scans on shoulder injuries on Monday afternoon but their prospects of playing against the Eels next Monday night are enhanced by a 10-day turnaround.

Kierran Moseley and Daniel Mortimer are both expected to be available for selection while half Kane Elgey will be monitored during the week after he left the field after 43 minutes last week with a concussion.

It would take an extraordinary form reversal for the Titans to win their remaining six games and improve a points differential that is the worst in the competition, but back-rower Lachlan Burr believes it is not beyond them.

"I don't think it's over. We've still got six more games to go and if we can try to win every one of them I think we've got a chance," Burr said.

"We are motivated and we are trying, just trying to get the combinations with the halves back to normal and finding that little bit of confidence.

"We're on the right track and I'm pretty confident we're going to have a good run home."

Prop Matthew White played just his ninth game of the season in the Titans' 34-0 loss to the Broncos last Friday, the second consecutive week Gold Coast had failed to score a single try.

Demoted Dave Taylor scored more tries for Tweed Heads on Sunday than the Titans have in the past three weeks but White saw a lot of positives in the way they started against the competition leaders.

"That was probably one of our best starts for the year. I thought we were with them in the first half and then they just put a few points on us and skipped away," White said.

"We had a few little lapses in defence but I thought generally the effort was really good.

"Everyone is still motivated. We've had a couple of disappointing losses but can't fault the effort, everyone's still putting in 100 per cent effort.

"We'll be ready to go and hopefully get a win; put a few points on the board would be good."

The Titans have not played a full game with their first-choice halves pairing of Aidan Sezer and Kane Elgey since they went down to the Rabbitohs 22-16 in Round 12 and have won just two games since.

Sezer's return against the Broncos was seen as a major boost to the Titans' chances of ending their poor run and Burr is hopeful that after one game back there will be significant improvement against Parramatta.

"It's hard when you've got players coming back from injury, it is tough and any club would be feeling it," Burr said.

"Hopefully we can get a few boys back from injury this week and look forward to having a strong finish to the season."

More injury woe for struggling Titans
    http://www.sbs.com.au

Gold Coast captain Nate Myles is one of several Titans battling injury after another horror weekend for the NRL strugglers.

Myles and fellow prop Ryan James will undergo MRI scans in the next 24 hours after picking up shoulder injuries in Friday's 34-0 hammering by Brisbane.

With rookie half Kane Elgey also picking up a concussion against the Broncos, Titans coach Neil Henry will be hoping for a positive result from the scans as he tries to piece together a team for next Monday's clash with Parramatta.

Compounding his woes, a trio of fringe first-graders also picked up injuries while playing in the Queensland Cup on Sunday.

Utility Matt Srama, in just his second match back from a serious ankle injury, dislocated his shoulder and appears to be out for the remainder of the season.

Winger Anthony Don also dislocated a shoulder and is unlikely to play again this year.

Outside back Brad Tighe will have scans on a hamstring tear, although it's hoped his injury isn't that serious.

It continues a injury-riddled campaign for the Titans, who have lost five straight games and are battling to avoid a second wooden spoon in five years.

Back-rower Lachlan Burr says the disruption to the playing lineup has had a hand in the team's poor form.

"It's hard when you've got players coming back from injury, it's tough, any club would be feeling it," Burr said.

Given these two teams performances I reckon we should start going for field goals after 5 minutes of play. Might be a soccer score.

QLD Cup

As usual Parra looked dangerous against the Cows last night. I don't like our chances. I do like the positive feelings if it is connected to true resolve not bravado...

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Titans refuse to concede season is over
    http://www.nrl.com/

Titans forward Lachlan Burr refuses to concede the Titans are out of finals contention. Credit: Robb Cox. Copyright: NRL Photos.
    Two of their best forwards are in doubt and they have suffered three heavy defeats in succession but Gold Coast Titans players refuse to concede their hopes of finals football have disappeared.

Captain Nate Myles and Ryan James were both heading for scans on shoulder injuries on Monday afternoon but their prospects of playing against the Eels next Monday night are enhanced by a 10-day turnaround.
    Maybe he might want to start to tackle then?

I think we should play taylor at lock and let him play his own game. Might be able to spark some points in this side

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    I think we should play taylor at lock and let him play his own game. Might be able to spark some points in this side
    Taylor's "own" game isn't suited for NRL. We've seen it, he thinks he's a halfback but with one brain cell. Taylor can play his career out in QCup cause I think for the level of effort he wants to put in that is where he is suited unfortunately.

Worse game of he season i am expecting. Not sure if i will be going
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    As usual Parra looked dangerous against the Cows last night. I don't like our chances. I do like the positive feelings if it is connected to true resolve not bravado...
    They did in the first half, but that was assisted by the errors by the Cowboys in the first forty minutes. Though the second half was a completely different story altogether when they piled on 34 points on top of the Eels.

Personally, I'm undecided about this game, as history has shown it can swing both ways when we come together. Admittedly though, the Eels are a better squad this year compared to recent years, and things can only improve for them since they A-holed Sandow.

Titans
    1 Josh Hoffman
    2 David Mead
    3 James Roberts
    4 Nene Macdonald
    5 Kevin Gordon
    6 Aidan Sezer
    7 Kane Elgey
    8 Luke Douglas
    9 Beau Falloon
    10 Nate Myles (c)
    11 Ryan James
    12 Lachlan Burr
    13 Greg Bird

Interchange
    14 Agnatius Paasi
    15 Eddy Pettybourne
    16 Matthew White
    17 Daniel Mortimer
    18 David Taylor
    19 David Hala

I guess we won't know till after scans and last minute changes to know what the team will be. Moseley has fallen down the pecking order though.

From the Bulletin article 'Injury draws a close to Ben Ridge’s career at Gold Coast Titans'

... While Ridge will watch Monday’s game against Parramatta from the sideline at Cbus Super Stadium, hooker Kierran Moseley is expected to make his return to the NRL.

Moseley’s last appearance for the Titans was in Round 14 against Canterbury when he suffered a knee injury.

The 21-year-old played his first game back last weekend for Burleigh and is expected to come off the bench to relieve Beau Falloon.

If Moseley returns, it’s likely Daniel Mortimer will miss out again unless halfback Kane Elgey fails a concussion test.

Moseley has played 12 NRL games for the Titans this season and coach Neil Henry views him as the club’s long-term No.9.

Returning foundation hook*er Nathan Friend will play a mentoring role for Moseley next season and fullback Josh Hoffman said the youngster provided plenty of energy.

“He’s been training really hard to get to the position where he is now,” he said.

“He’s been in the Panthers system for a while and come to the Titans now. He brings a lot of spark and enthusiasm. It’s something I really like to play off the back of.

“Once I see him go out (from dummy-half) for a little sniff or something I’ll be there pushing up.”

Hoffman has been battling a nagging ankle problem which is likely to require clean-out surgery at the end of the season.

David Mead will move to fullback if Hoffman is unavailable but the No.1 said he was confident of taking on the Eels.

“It’s just a niggling injury that’s given me a bit of grief,” he said.

“I got through training which was pleasing. I chimed in and out of the session which allowed Meady to fill in at fullback.

“Every now and then when I get tackled the wrong way it gives me a bit of grief.

“I’ve just got to manage it and hopefully by Monday I’ll be 100 per cent. It has rattled the confidence a bit but it’s nothing too serious.”

Winger Kevin Gordon is under pressure to keep his place in the side with Kalifa Faifai Loa snapping at his heels while captain Nate Myles is battling to overcome a shoulder problem.
    Personally, I'd rather have Mortimer at starting 9 than Falloon with Moseley coming off the bench, and hopefully Hala gets his shot ahead of Myles.

Not fussed between Gordon or KFFL ... sucks that Don is out for the season. Give Leva Li / Brian Kelly a shot ...
    Last edited by K2G; 31-07-15 at 11:55 PM.

13 replies to a matchday thread one day out from the game could be some sort of record low number for this forum. It's very hard to get interested about this contest so it is hard to imagine that there'll be any sort of crowd out there.

We can go a long way to avoiding the spoon in this one. Does anybody remember the year we 'won' our wooden spoon. We were hosting an absolutely terrible Parramatta team in the very last round of the season in a match doubling as Preston Campbell's last ever game. There was a T-Shirt made for the game and a really, really good crowd and we got absolutely HAMMERED!! I still regard it as the worst loss in the short history of the club. Hopefully we can get one back on Parramatta here and put them in prime position for the timber cutlery.