Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neil Henry

I think Henry is the man for the job and has inherited a massive mess, which has got worse since his tenure began.

We have gone into administration, been taken over by the NRL, have no stadium deal, have no permanent training facility, been embroiled in a drug scandal and then the whole DCE saga which has truly messed up our future planning, plus the usual injuries.

Our player group recently have played with no enthusiasm or pride in the jersey and that is a reflection of something that is wrong with the underlying culture at the club. I believe that a new player culture can be brought in under Henry, where this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

We need a captain that can lead, have no off-field distractions, a coach to instil confidence in the younger players to allow them to develop and an old guard that provides cohesion and leadership on and off the field.

We have far too many players with a foot each side of the divide between the old and the new ... my biggest worry is that the new faces are still influenced by those of the old culture ... get them out now!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by K4SE View Post
    I think Henry is the man for the job and has inherited a massive mess, which has got worse since his tenure began.

We have gone into administration, been taken over by the NRL, have no stadium deal, have no permanent training facility, been embroiled in a drug scandal and then the whole DCE saga which has truly messed up our future planning, plus the usual injuries.

Our player group recently have played with no enthusiasm or pride in the jersey and that is a reflection of something that is wrong with the underlying culture at the club. I believe that a new player culture can be brought in under Henry, where this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

We need a captain that can lead, have no off-field distractions, a coach to instil confidence in the younger players to allow them to develop and an old guard that provides cohesion and leadership on and off the field.
    Fully agree here, was going to raise this exact point in a seperate thread. Personally i dont think Ryan James is that man. He is a very young talented footballer with a massive future but i think he is too young and not disciplined enough to be a group leader. He is the leading player for giving away penalties, and personally i dont think thats what we need right now.

Nor is it Bird or Zillman. It could be Friend if he comes, Mead or my choice would be Douglas (forget about the toss in golden point, that hardly constitutes what makes a captain).

Neil Henry reveals Gold Coast Titans face Wests Tigers-like NRL salary cap mess
    Nathan Ryan Exclusive FOX SPORTS July 30, 2015

GOLD Coast coach Neil Henry admits there is going to be some heartache around their playing squad for the next few years, revealing they face a similar situation to that of the Wests Tigers and could take up to three years to produce a competitive roster.

Having taken the reins from John Cartwright at the end of last season, Henry is tasked with rebuilding the Titans.

But sitting second last, the club is set to miss the finals for the fifth straight year.

In a wide-ranging interview with foxsports.com.au, Henry opens up on salary cap constraints, the pressure for results and the effect Daly Cherry-Evans’ backflip has had on the club’s recruitment strategy.

PRESSURE FOR RESULTS

The Titans have won just six games this year.

Their last loss was a 34-0 drubbing at the hands of big brother Brisbane.

Henry knows the fans expect better but that’s easier said than done.

“This game is that ruthless that I know as a coach that you still need some short-term results,” Henry said.

“We need to be competitive and we need to build a roster, and it’s going to take its time.

“Were not dissimilar to (Wests Tigers) in our cap and in contracts and what’s been done before.

“We are limited to some movement in contracts that are already done and we need to try and accommodate that and see if we can accommodate movement of players still contracted.”

The players he speaks of accommodating are the likes of Dave Taylor.

Taylor is on big money, one of the highest paid players at the club, and the back-rower is being shopped around to help and alleviate some salary cap pressure.

The Tigers are doing the same thing by releasing veteran forward Keith Galloway to move to England.

Robbie Farah is the Tigers’ top paid player, while the Titans have four hookers on their books in Matt Srama, Beau Falloon, Chad Redman and Kieran Moseley but lack a player who can push out 80 minutes.

Losing Aidan Sezer to Canberra, the club could be forced to run out rookie halves in 2016.

With that in mind, Henry believes a rebuild could take until 2018 to complete.

“It could take that long,” he said.

“If you’re a realist it’s probably going to take that, but you’d like to think it wouldn’t.

“Wests Tigers are also finding that having two rookie halves is hard to get consistency. (Mitchell) Moses and (Luke) Brooks are quality halves, they have Farah sitting there and (James) Tedesco. The halves, hooker and fullback — the main men with the ball aren’t too bad when you look at it that way.

“We have a young rookie hooker as well, and that’s a role we haven’t nailed. We have young halves and some experience at fullback with (Will) Zillman and (Josh Hoffman) and experience out wide.

“But we are going to need some young guys to step up to be competitive that’s for sure.”

SALARY CAP

Albert Kelly still sits in the Titans’ top 25 cap, while Maurice Blair is in the second-tier cap.

Neither has played for the Titans since 2014, when they were released from the final year of their deals to join Hull KR.

Managing your salary cap is a complicated process many clubs have difficulty with.

Successful clubs like the Storm, Cowboys, Roosters and Rabbitohs have built their rosters over time and continually make tweaks accordingly.

Henry said the Titans won’t be making any rash decisions. He intends on taking his time to reshape their roster with some short-term pain the sacrifice for a successful future.

“It’s difficult to manage,” he said of the cap.

“A more strategic view needs to happen because we are results driven; we need a quick fix and you buy players and get yourself in trouble.

“If clubs are willing to let a coach buy a roster and know it’s going to take time and not put pressure on wins, they are taking a more practical and realistic view of how difficult it is in this competition.”

RECRUITING

Daly Cherry-Evans’ decision to backflip on a lucrative four-year-deal to join the Titans has seriously hurt the club.

Although they were prepared to pay him more than a $1 million a season, the club had a plan to shape their entire roster around their marquee signing.

Thinking they had signed the 26-year-old, they were unable to produce an attractive enough offer to keep Aidan Sezer, while letting Nate Myles move to Manly was supposed to help pay for their new halfback.

When DCE had a change of heart and decided to stay with the Sea Eagles, the Titans’ plans fell to pieces.

“We’ve had to rethink where we want to put our money,” Henry said.

“Back row, front row and outside backs and a centre in particular, so we’ve had to rethink that money that Cherry-Evans was allocated and how to best strengthen our squad.

“We were quite willing to load up a substantial amount of the cap on Cherry-Evans, and he is a marquee player and you can build your club around that sort of player.

“We were really happy to entertain keeping Aidan Sezer here but that was when we thought we had a deal done (with Cherry-Evans) and that’s impacted on our recruitment, and we didn’t have a Plan B because we didn’t think we needed one.

“It’s unfortunate for us.”

FINDING A HALF

The Titans are on the verge of announcing they have signed Brisbane U20s halfback Ashley Taylor on a two-year-deal.

Henry is reluctant to declare they have the youngster in the bag but is confident that after missing out of Daly Cherry-Evans and Trent Hodkinson they will finally get their man.

“Were hopeful of getting his signature,” Henry said.

“We’d like to think we’ve got the inside running.

“We’re hopeful he stays in Queensland, being a boy from up here, but there is a bit of interest for him down south.”

Speaking hypothetically about the possibility of playing with two rookie halves in 2016, Henry is optimistic.

Elgey has made 11 appearances since making his top grade debut earlier this year, while Taylor boasts an impressive resume, although he’s untested at NRL level.

“You have to look at what’s available and what fits in our cap constraints as well,” Henry said of the halves.

“Kane came in around round three and exceeded expectations in some regards, but in his own mind he’s saying ‘I want to be better’. He’s proved he can play at that level.

“He will get a few more games out of this year and that will be experience for him next year.

“Ashley Taylor’s unproven, but then we need to see who else in on the market who has some expertise as well.

“There’s a little bit of movement behind the scenes in players in these positions as well.

“We haven’t got that marquee player or 150-game seasoned first grade player on the books.”

DAVE TAYLOR

It’s no secret the Titans won’t stand in Dave Taylor’s way should he be able to secure a deal with another club.

Taylor has been on the outer for quite some time despite having another year left on his contract.

Linked with Super League and Japanese rugby, the 123kg wrecking ball’s NRL career has been killed by inconsistency.

“I know there’s been some talks overseas,” Henry said of the back-rower.

“He’s had permission to look, which is widely known.

“With the marquee allowance there should be some genuine interest in him over there.

“That change might be the catalyst for him to play some consistent footy.”

MESSAGE TO THE FANS

With a rocky road ahead, what is his message to the fans desperate to see their club doing well?

Henry believes there is light at the end of the tunnel and revealed there is a renewed emphasis on local production, with the likes of Ryan James, Ben Ridge and Kane Elgey all Gold Coast products playing for their hometown.

“We thank you for your patience so far because it’s been a lean period,” Henry said.

“We are about local talent as well and that’s a real focus for us.

“We need to be a development club, not a recruitment club.

“There’s going to be some heartache around our roster, getting it right, and that’s going to take a couple of seasons.

“What (fans) should expect is a team that gets out there and wears their colours with pride and competes.”
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...-1227462782124

What a load of defeatist codswallop ... e.g. "Zillman" = 5 year contract for a QCup level player; "no plan B" = no idea; "local talent" = Ridge has been told to look elsewhere and not before time; "pride"= you're kidding Henry, the team has given up and Myles' tanking ever since he signed with another club has dragged the team to an all-time low.
    Last edited by Titanic; 30-07-15 at 11:13 AM.

Junior

We won't be competitive until 2018? And I'm supposed to pay for the pleasure of being a member to watch loss after dispiriting loss in the meantime? Nope. Neil Henry, if you want me as an investor (member) in your company (team) for 2016 and beyond, use the rest of this season to make your pitch. Otherwise wake me up when the Titans get replaced by the next NRL incarnation on the Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-...-1227462782124

What a load of defeatist codswallop ... e.g. "Zillman" = 5 year contract for a QCup level player; "no plan B" = no idea; "local talent" = Ridge has been told to look elsewhere and not before time; "pride"= you're kidding Henry, the team has given up and Myles' tanking ever since he signed with another club has dragged the team to an all-time low.
    Some good points mate.
    I also see it fairly simplistically and that is we had around a million dollars for DCE and I assume we would have been within the cap, allowing for factors quoted in the article such as Myles leaving etc. To me that means we have around a million dollars to spend (and that's as it stands without moving people on like Taylor) and we have bought Shillo and maybe Ash Taylor. Henry mentions there is work happening behind the scenes on players so let's hope so.
    The other thing that stands out to me is how can we be anywhere near the cap with the current bunch of players. When you compare our roster to the better sides who have far far more talented players yet stay within the cap, it then becomes obvious that a lot of our players are getting well over the odds. Clearly Zilly and Taylor are on good money on false pretences but there must be many more being paid well above market if we are at the cap. I know there are factors like tpa's at clubs who have better opportunities for these than us, and we are still paying the likes of Kelly etc, but the cap is over $6mil and you wonder who is on what for us to be anywhere near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Some good points mate.
    I also see it fairly simplistically and that is we had around a million dollars for DCE and I assume we would have been within the cap, allowing for factors quoted in the article such as Myles leaving etc. To me that means we have around a million dollars to spend (and that's as it stands without moving people on like Taylor) and we have bought Shillo and maybe Ash Taylor. Henry mentions there is work happening behind the scenes on players so let's hope so.
    The other thing that stands out to me is how can we be anywhere near the cap with the current bunch of players. When you compare our roster to the better sides who have far far more talented players yet stay within the cap, it then becomes obvious that a lot of our players are getting well over the odds. Clearly Zilly and Taylor are on good money on false pretences but there must be many more being paid well above market if we are at the cap. I know there are factors like tpa's at clubs who have better opportunities for these than us, and we are still paying the likes of Kelly etc, but the cap is over $6mil and you wonder who is on what for us to be anywhere near it.
    ... Mate, you're not honestly just now realising that we are paying blokes overs are you?? This is a well established fact, and something which I believe is in the process of being addressed. Not a quick process unfortunately.

That said, I believe the 'tight cap' line is a face-saving smoke-screen. The fact is, we just can't attract young top shelf players here right now WITHOUT over-paying them, for a whole number of reasons. We are just not an attractive prospect to players for whom short-term on-field success is important - SO the real question becomes, which players are WORTH paying overs for ...

The one great thing to come out of the article Titanic posted (which I agree was mostly codswallop of stomach turning proportion) was the line 'We need to be a development club, not a recruitment club.'

This philosophy is one I really hope becomes a driver for our future operations.

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    ... Mate, you're not honestly just now realising that we are paying blokes overs are you?? This is a well established fact
    ..er no mate. Realised it a while ago.....but won't raise it again.

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    ... Mate, you're not honestly just now realising that we are paying blokes overs are you?? This is a well established fact, and something which I believe is in the process of being addressed. Not a quick process unfortunately.
    I think what Henry said is a fair reflection of where Titans are at the moment as a club -
    “If clubs are willing to let a coach buy a roster and know it’s going to take time and not put pressure on wins, they are taking a more practical and realistic view of how difficult it is in this competition.”

Most of the roster is John Cartwright's and the old Board.

I am willing to accept that the next few years may be lean, if it means building the right roster - the question is, can the NRL afford to have its youngest team remain out of finals footy for a few years in a fickle GC fan market? - NO.

NRL needs to step up it involvement and assist in offloading some of the unnecessarily bigger longer termed contracts to the UK in-full aka Zillman, Gordon, Taylor, Srama, Tighe, Blair & kelly.

QLD Cup

I was under the impression that we had a lot of caps space but not enough money to spend it all. Did this change when the NRL took over? or am I deluded. Bear in mind we were on the verge of bankruptcy when they did take over.

That Fox Sports article is an interesting read.

I think we were over achieving earlier in the season and now we are under achieving. We are not as good as we looked when we won in NZ and at Parramatta but we are not as bad as we have looked in the past 3 weeks.

We were driven to the wall to the point the NRL had to take us over so it should be no surprise that our salary cap is very poorly managed. Next year is probably going to be as bad (or worse) as this year.

Pretty much same thing happened to St George. Great start, got some key injury's, bad run and now that the players have come back into a side on the downhill and it becomes hard to turn around and start going up.

3 more years he reckons, good by Titans no one will be attending games by then, locally interest is getting less and less, it is like everyone is waitng for the club to fold
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    3 more years he reckons, good by Titans no one will be attending games by then, locally interest is getting less and less, it is like everyone is waitng for the club to fold
    And the players fiddle while Rome burns ... sickening is right.