Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neil Henry

Default Neil Henry

Not looking to start a crusade against King here just throwing a topic up for discussion.

Given what's happened with Newcastle and Rick Stone today wanted to get everyone's opinion on Neil Henry and our current situation.

The instances are similar in that Rick Stone assistant to Bennett and basically inherited his squad. Henry, the same with John Cartwright.

Both our seasons have been woeful even under hard circumstances (injuries in key positions etc). Both teams performances over the last month have been bottom of the barrel and today Rick Stone has paid the price at Newcastle.

In my opinion our performances have lacked heart and enthusiasm. You can definetly blame injuries when it comes to team cohesion and fluidity. But not willingness to play for the jersey. I am personally starting to wonder whether Henry still has the shed, considering how long he has actually been here.

Now with rumours of Toovey being released early from his contract, you have a premiership winning coach with a winning mentality who commands respect.

If our performances are to keep up im just wondering do you think the daggers could come out for Henry? Especially if a proven premiership coach becomes available. Again id just like to point out, that im not bashing Henry just a topic to debate.

Henry has been handed a scrap heap of a club led by Cartwright and Searle for many years. Unfortunately due to that we have a roster full of overpaid players and our club is still repairing off the field. Even a Bellamy or Bennett would take years to repair this club. King has my full support.

Good discussion point though.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

SInce the DCE and Myles fiasco Henry hasn't had a good run. I'm sure he has the sheds but I'm also guessing that senior players who are on the outer and are moving on or have been told they aren't in the plans aren't helping with any type of team cohesion. What Henry did for our attack in the earlier part of the year was amazing in such a short time. THis year is a complete bust so now I'm guessing that he is giving opportunities to players to see how they perform in certain positions for next year or if they will be capable in top grade.

Newcastle have made a statement in sacking Stone and Manly have made an indirect statement regarding the playing future of up to 14 of its players and it head coach (who will probably get another week reprieve after a win on the weekend). We on the other hand (as an organisation) have done nothing. This is more frustrating for me than our on field (lack of) performances. The club should be making a statement and drop those players that aren't towing the line in all respects of the game. I can see Taylor is always our whipping boy because his on field and off field is below NRL standard. But he can't be the only one.

Unfortunately we live in an instant result society. I personally do not see us having a premiership contending team until 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    We on the other hand (as an organisation) have done nothing.This is more frustrating for me than our on field (lack of) performances. The club should be making a statement and drop those players that aren't towing the line in all respects of the game. I can see Taylor is always our whipping boy because his on field and off field is below NRL standard. But he can't be the only one.
    Agree with you here 100%. Club has been so quiet its not funny. Thought we would of wheeled out Ash Taylor by now if the rumours were true, at lest to ease the pain of the past month just a little.

http://video.news.com.au/v/381049/Kn...yers-on-notice

Statement from Knights CEO Matt Gidley after the sacking of Rick Stone. Pretty much the way i wish our club would of come out and responded, following the past month.
    Last edited by Kelly.to.Roberts; 27-07-15 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly.to.Roberts View Post
    The instances are similar in that Rick Stone assistant to Bennett and basically inherited his squad. Henry, the same with John Cartwright.

Both our seasons have been woeful even under hard circumstances (injuries in key positions etc). Both teams performances over the last month have been bottom of the barrel and today Rick Stone has paid the price at Newcastle.

Now with rumours of Toovey being released early from his contract, you have a premiership winning coach with a winning mentality who commands respect.If our performances are to keep up im just wondering do you think the daggers could come out for Henry? Especially if a proven premiership coach becomes available. Again id just like to point out, that im not bashing Henry just a topic to debate.
    Good discussion point mate but I am with T4L in that Henry has my full support. You cannot go changing coaches every year even though we seem to be replacing underperforming players with other clubs cast offs, the majority of whom look plodders at best.

As for Toovs he is not a premiership winning coach. He took over a premiership winning team and took them to a GF two years later but Manly didn't win it. I'm also not sure that he commands respect as I am aware that a few of the Manly players don't have much time for him. I admire him for what he has done and the way he has handled himself lately but he is not the sharpest coach going around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly.to.Roberts View Post
    http://video.news.com.au/v/381049/Kn...yers-on-notice

Statement from Knights CEO Matt Gidley after the sacking of Rick Stone. Pretty much the way i wish our club would of come out and responded, following the past month.
    In fairness there was a reasonably long article in the Bulletin today with quotes from Rebecca Frizelle and a two page interview with Annesley in Saturday's Bulletin.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 27-07-15 at 09:06 PM.

We are just like every NRL club now we have broken the shackles. Neil has to be accountable. But he has enherrited a mess and deserves time to try to fix it from the ground up. He has my support. Sad to see Rob Stone get the flick. We have a real lack of depth of players in the NRL.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Good discussion point mate but I am with T4L in that Henry has my full support. You cannot go changing coaches every year even though we seem to be replacing underperforming players with other clubs cast offs, the majority of whom look plodders at best.

As for Toovs he is not a premiership winning coach. He took over a premiership winning team and took them to a GF two years later but Manly didn't win it. I'm also not sure that he commands respect as I am aware that a few of the Manly players don't have much time for him. I admire him for what he has done and the way he has handled himself lately but he is not the sharpest coach going around.

- - - Updated - - -

In fairness there was a reasonably long article in the Bulletin today with quotes from Rebecca Frizelle and a two page interview with Annesley in Saturday's Bulletin.
    I stand corrected about being Toovey being a premiership coach. Although he was there assistant to Des i guess.

I am getting splinters in my ar$e thinking about this ... I have never been a Henry fan in any of his previous clubs and I am not now but credit where credit's due, he inherited a poisoned chalice and should have the first half of 2016 to show what he can produce.

As for the club's management's performance; if someone can post the Bulley's articles I, for one, would be very interested to see what the club is saying.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Thing with stone and newcastle is he was the coach before bennent, then they re appointed him after bennent... If you werent happy with him enough to get wayne, why would you get him after? Massive step back, i guess they hoped he would of learnt a thing or two off him.

I will give Henry Next year to decide.
    As it has been said the club was a mess and still is, we will see what happens next year but in reality i think we are a good 3 years away from making the finals as it sits now
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Junior

Am I remembering correctly that Henry was given a two year contract, and if we didn't make the finals in that time, he wouldn't be offered an extension? I swear I remember that being the case. At any rate, this whole discussion is moot if the NRL decides not to keep this money-hemorrhaging franchise afloat past 2016.

Neil Henry at least deserves the entire 2016 season in my books..

But I gotta add, this tripe about Coaches 'losing the shed' just shouldn't be happening in at this level of the game. Fair enough, at club footy level. But these wooducks are being paid good dollars 'n they should act accordingly. Get onboard or move on if it's such a problem for the players.

Henry hasnt had the team to make the finals... however some of his selections, just like carty are puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I am getting splinters in my ar$e thinking about this ... I have never been a Henry fan in any of his previous clubs and I am not now but credit where credit's due, he inherited a poisoned chalice and should have the first half of 2016 to show what he can produce.

As for the club's management's performance; if someone can post the Bulley's articles I, for one, would be very interested to see what the club is saying.
    I think henry is a the right coach, but it is clear to me that he is working in a dysfunctional ,environment where the is no stAbility with training facilities or a place for the players to have club functions.

Earlier in the year, we were playing enterprising football - losing both our halves wrecked the confidence we had. We should get it back vs parra.