Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Junior

Hmm 3 shoulder reconstructions at such a young as isn't the best. With the rigors and physicality of first grade I'm questioning his durability.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeGC View Post
    Hmm 3 shoulder reconstructions at such a young as isn't the best. With the rigors and physicality of first grade I'm questioning his durability.
    You are not alone there mate.

Although he did wear some shots in the U20's Anzac test that would've tested those shoulders out...

I think youd struggle to find a player in the nrl that hasnt had a reconstruction of some sort
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

Surgery at younger ages often adds strength rather than weakens.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

True... but you also hear of players that battled injuries through their youth and have yet to kick on. Not bagging the kid however I doubt you would find many in NYC comp that have had 3 full reconstructions.

Atay had some handy stats from the weekends game:

1 try, 3 try assists, 2 tackle busts, 2 offloads and 2 linebreak assists. Kicked for 336m.

Did have 4 missed tackles from 18 total attempted.

Will keep an eye on his stats each round but from an attacking perspective he seems to be doing aiite, albeit 20s.

Wayne Bennett urges Titans to be patient with Ashley Taylor
    PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL AUGUST 08, 2015 9:00PM

BRONCOS coach Wayne Bennett has urged the Titans to handle Ashley Taylor with care, admitting Gold Coast’s new recruit could take another year to find his feet in the NRL.

Ahead the Coast’s clash with the Storm at AAMI Park, Bennett warned the Titans of the perils of giving the playmaker too much responsibility too soon.

Bennett played a key role in Taylor’s two-year deal with the Titans. The code’s greatest coach was reluctant to lose Taylor, but accepted the 20-year-old was unlikely to dismantle the formidable scrumbase pairing being forged by Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt.

A key condition of the release was Bennett’s request to potential suitors that Taylor be given a chance to play first grade. However, there are fears Taylor could be thrown into the deep end at the Titans next season given his future halves partner, Kane Elgey, has played just 12 NRL games.

While Taylor has played 44 games for Brisbane’s under-20s, he has yet to make his NRL debut. Bennett agrees the Toowoomba product is too talented to hold back, but when asked if Taylor is NRL-ready, the super coach urged the Titans to act with caution.

“Maybe you would get a couple of games out of Ashley, you wouldn’t get much more at this point in time,” Bennett said.

“I hope he’s going there to play NRL. He won’t get much better playing under-20s, so he needs to play NRL.

“But a year older and with another pre-season behind him, working with a team from the start of the season as a halfback or five-eighth, it will give him a lot of confidence.”

Such is Taylor’s talent, the Junior Kangaroos star was handed an upgraded deal in 2013 by former Broncos coach Anthony Griffin worth $300,000 over three seasons.

Bennett initially baulked at approaches from Manly and the Cowboys, but ultimately conceded the Titans could promise Taylor what the Broncos couldn’t — an NRL future.

“I’m not disappointed,” he said. “At the end of the day, your players need opportunity and there is no opportunity for Ashley in the short-term for us.

“At least at the Titans he has the opportunity to go and play NRL which he needs to do.

“Our first priority is to get the best players here but if there is someone in front of them, you have to do something else with their life and give them that opportunity.”

Taylor has already undergone a series of shoulder reconstructions, but Broncos under-20s coach Craig Hodges has no doubt the halfback has the toughness and talent to fire at the Titans.

“He has a wonderful future in the game and it’s a great shame we can’t keep Ashley,” he said.

“He has a very good kicking game and he’s a very good organiser and passer of the ball, they are great skills for young halves to come into the NRL competition with.

“I’d be surprised and disappointed if Ashley didn’t kick on at the Titans.”

I just hope we see some good signs with Ash and Kane next season, I don't think they'll set the world on fire, I just want to see them go and show some signs and I'll be happy.

Ash Taylor debuting for Broncos v Storm tomorrow night

Wow! Such an important game.....Wheredidyagetthatinfofrom

Don't answer this. I just found it.
    Last edited by shamus; 02-09-15 at 11:41 AM.

Better not be released to us as damaged goods.

Scratch me up as one of those that are also worried about his previous shoulder injuries.

I can see it now he will do he Achillies or ACL and be out for 12 months :|
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

it is a shame that his playing record will show two clubs

he cant really be a one club player now and will never have made his first grade debut with us even if he went on to be a club legend.

not earth shattering, just a small shame

Titans' halves future in safe hands: Hastings
    Chris Kennedy | Wed 02 Sep, 2015, 6:00pm | NRL.com

The playmaking future on the Gold Coast is in safe hands when young guns Kane Elgey and Ashley Taylor combine in future years, according to fellow breakout star Jackson Hastings.

The Roosters halfback played alongside 20-year-old Taylor – who will make his NRL debut for Brisbane this week before heading to the Titans next year on a two-year-deal – in the Junior Kangaroos side earlier this year.

Hastings played fullback in that victory, with Taylor preferred at halfback alongside St George Illawarra five-eighth Drew Hutchison in a side where Taylor will be the 11th of the starting 13 to play NRL in 2015.

Valentine Holmes, Tepai Moeroa, Euan Aitken and Hastings are just some of the well-known names from that side, which held on to a thrilling 22-20 win over the Junior Kiwis in the Representative Round clash at Cbus Super Stadium in May.

Asked about relative unknown Taylor, Hastings had nothing but praise for the Toowoomba playmaker.

"He's a good player mate, Ash Taylor, he's a really skilled kid," Hastings said.

"He's not very big but he puts his body on the line, he's real tough in defence. Him and Kane Elgey, if they can keep those two for a few years I reckon the Titans could build a team around those two."

Hastings said he expected the pair – who will be competing with current Newcastle halfback Tyrone Roberts for game time – to face plenty of pressure in 2015 but backed them to ride it out.

"If they can stick together and get through the hard times and get some experienced players around them I think they'll do really well," Hastings said.

While Hastings has had less to do with Elgey he said he had been impressed with the Titans halfback from what he had seen of him and the few times he had faced him.

"As everyone's seen in the NRL he's a very talented player. He's got all the skill in the world," Hastings said.

"Ash is tough and very skilled as well so if those two can strike up a good combination the Titans could be dangerous."

Hastings was on the opposite side to Taylor when the two faced off in the under-20s Origin this year, with Hastings wearing No.6 in the Blues' victory opposite Taylor in the Maroon No.7 jersey.

"He was great again for Queensland, his kicking game is second to none. I was actually marking up against him so he obviously put me under the pump there and we were just lucky to get the win on the night," Hastings said.

Taylor will have plenty of eyes on him – particularly from the Gold Coast – when he makes his long-awaited NRL debut against the Storm on Thursday night for regular halfback Ben Hunt, who has been given the weekend off to rest some bumps and bruises.

Barring injury the match is likely to be Taylor's only NRL hit-out of the year but Titans fans will be eager for a glimpse of the future.

Taylor has had a prolific 2015 in the Holden Cup competition, scoring 203 points (first), and producing 27 try assists (second), 17 line-break assists, 198 kicks in general play, as well as four 40/20 kicks, more than any NRL player this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Ash Taylor debuting for Broncos v Storm tomorrow night
    yeah I'm looking forward to it, admittedly though I've never seen him play.