Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Kane Elgey and Ash Taylor can provide bright future for Titans

Young halves Kane Elgey and Ashley Taylor can provide bright future for Titans
    DARREN LOCKYER THE COURIER-MAIL
    JULY 25, 2015 12:00AM

THE Titans are about to embark on a fascinating scrumbase journey and my only hope is that the code, and Gold Coast fans, stay patient, knowing amid the short-term pain there will be long-term gain.

It’s hard not to feel for Titans coach Neil Henry.

He has had to confront immense volatility at a club that was on death’s door for two years, all the while having to tweak, shape and refine a playing roster without the resources available to rivals.

No doubt, there will be some further potholes in the road to success for the Titans. But in rookie playmaker Kane Elgey and Broncos young gun Ashley Taylor — the recruitment target they hope to pair with Elgey — the Titans would have the makings of a 10-year halves partnership.

Taylor has yet to officially sign with the Titans, but I hope the Coast get their man because, having watched his rise in the Broncos system, I have no doubts about Ashley’s ability.

When you meld two young halves in an NRL system, the learning curve is always steep, and there are bruises along the way.

That is evident at the Wests Tigers, where Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses are learning on the run. Yes, they are making mistakes. But in time, when they develop the game-management to match their sublime natural skills, the Tigers will possess a combination capable of delivering consistent success

At the Broncos, we’ve seen how potent Anthony Milford has become at five-eighth, although he’s been fortunate to have a more seasoned playmaker in Ben Hunt to assist him.

Henry won’t have such luxuries, but you can coach game-management and execution. The key basic ingredient is talent, and both Elgey and Taylor possess the raw materials to be the heartbeat of an NRL side.

The key is time, patience and hands-on experience.

Having played for the Junior Kangaroos or Australian Schoolboys is one thing. At junior representative level, young guns such as Elgey and Taylor largely trade on natural talent, but when you get to the NRL, every club has a structure that is ingrained on a weekly basis.

As Moses and Brooks are finding out, every game in the NRL is mentally exhausting.

Eighty minutes of a game may not sound too long, but in that time a playmaker will make hundreds of snap decisions. They are constantly thinking. About themselves. About their teammates. About the opposition. Where must we be on play two? What should I do on play five?

A senior playmaker like Cooper Cronk has the maturity to consistently execute, but for the rookie half, running an NRL game is a two-or-three-year apprenticeship.

Elgey has the goods. When I first saw him, I wasn’t convinced he had what it took. But the more I watch him play, the more impressed I am. Some of his deft passes and option-taking can’t be performed at NRL level unless you have above-average talent.

With Taylor, he has the skill-set to kick on as a first-grader. Culturally, he’s in a very good system at the Broncos and his under-20s coach, Craig Hodges, has done a superb job mentoring the squad and turning boys like Taylor into men.

The one asset Taylor possesses is his composure in closing-out games. Few rookies have that ability, but Ashley has a level-head and I’ve watched him a few times this season come up with the right play at precisely the right time.

He also has vision and a knack of giving his outside men and wide-running forwards opportunities with his passing game. The Broncos have also worked hard on Taylor’s kicking game, so if he ends up at the Titans, he will be a successful recruit.

Given their turbulence in recent times, it’s only natural the Titans will need time to rebuild. But if Neil Henry is prepared to hold his nerve, the club should not be afraid to gamble on youth.

After all, calculated risk can deliver the greatest reward.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

what's the point

they've got a dumb team to work with.

No forward no playmaking, these 2 will be destroyed mentally after playing with the titans.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Beg to differ lads but they'll be destroyed playing with the current Titans. I just hope our management have enough smarts to understand what it's going to take.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I would love to see this team develop over the next couple years

1. James Roberts
    2. Anthony Don
    3. David Mead/ Josh Hoffman
    4. Dale Copley
    5. Nene McDonald
    6. Ashley Taylor
    7. Kane Elgey
    8. Luke Douglas
    9. Chad Redman
    10. Eddy Pettybourne
    11. Wade Graham
    12. Ryan James
    13. Greg Bird

14. Agnatius Paasi
    15. Nathaniel Peteru/ David Hala
    16. David Shillington
    17. Matt Parcel

I know not everyone will agree with my logic as it is completely based young players, but I believe this combination could have the potential to be a top 4 contender in 2-3yrs.

I believe James Roberts is naturally a running fullback, who needs to be able to choose when and were to attack from, he doesn't get enough opportunity in centre. As we know he has been caught out in defense, changing his position will strengthen our first line of defence (putting Mead or Hoffman in) and opponents would be vary wary JR taking a kick return back in broken play, not too mention he grew up playing as a fullback.

Shift Nene to wing, and move Copley to Centre as he is great defensively and together could be lethal in attack. Which would mean would posses Don and Nene on the wings, big, tall units. Theory behind this is we let in too many tries through our backs, we need to posses a bigger back line, and a bigger pack across the park.

Chad Redman would be starting hooker, because I see he has plenty of potential, he has a kicking game, passes well, and will take a run, and gives it 100% in defence (over the off season I would imagine henwould bulk up to nrl level)

Although I would love a big aggressive back rower like many of the posters in the forum have mentioned, I believe the way forward is to have a ball playing second rower, who's level headed and gets the job done, I would love Wade Graham there (no clue about his contract). If we go aggressive back rower most of them give away too many penalties and drop to many balls, we have that in Bird and Ryan James, think if we sign someone similar to them we will make too many errors, just my 2 cents.

Greg Bird to lock so he doesn't choke up the sides in attack and he can get more involved in the middle in defense. Douglas and Petty for props because they just get the job done, go forward and stability.

I would have a big bench Hala/ Peteru, Paasi, Shillington as I believe the best teams at the moment all have big forward packs and balanced size in the backs. Shillington would only be on bench so some experience can come to the field during interchange to keep direction the whole 80min.

Parcel is a speed demon and very versatile, I would love him on the bench and can either cover, Redman, Elgey,Taylor, JR if they get tired or injured, or depending on the state of the game could swap in with a forward if were vsing some tired teams.

I just think this is a good balance of size and mobility, has a spine to develop over many years to come and is balanced defensively with players playing in what I think is their best positions. I have had a couple beers so forgive my ramble. Trying to stay positive and what could be possible.
    Last edited by indoallstars; 26-07-15 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    I would love to see this team develop over the next couple years

1. James Roberts
    2. Anthony Don
    3. David Mead/ Josh Hoffman
    4. Dale Copley
    5. Nene McDonald
    6. Ashley Taylor
    7. Kane Elgey
    8. Luke Douglas
    9. Chad Redman
    10. Eddy Pettybourne
    11. Wade Graham
    12. Ryan James
    13. Greg Bird

14. Agnatius Paasi
    15. Nathaniel Peteru/ David Hala
    16. David Shillington
    17. Matt Parcel

I know not everyone will agree with my logic as it is completely based young players, but I believe this combination could have the potential to be a top 4 contender in 2-3yrs.

I believe James Roberts is naturally a running fullback, who needs to be able to choose when and were to attack from, he doesn't get enough opportunity in centre. As we know he has been caught out in defense, changing his position will strengthen our first line of defence (putting Mead or Hoffman in) and opponents would be vary wary JR taking a kick return back in broken play, not too mention he grew up playing as a fullback.

Shift Nene to wing, and move Copley to Centre as he is great defensively and together could be lethal in attack. Which would mean would posses Don and Nene on the wings, big, tall units. Theory behind this is we let in too many tries through our backs, we need to posses a bigger back line, and a bigger pack across the park.

Chad Redman would be starting hooker, because I see he has plenty of potential, he has a kicking game, passes well, and will take a run, and gives it 100% in defence (over the off season I would imagine henwould bulk up to nrl level)

Although I would love a big aggressive back rower like many of the posters in the forum have mentioned, I believe the way forward is to have a ball playing second rower, who's level headed and gets the job done, I would love Wade Graham there (no clue about his contract). If we go aggressive back rower most of them give away too many penalties and drop to many balls, we have that in Bird and Ryan James, think if we sign someone similar to them we will make too many errors, just my 2 cents.

Greg Bird to lock so he doesn't choke up the sides in attack and he can get more involved in the middle in defense. Douglas and Petty for props because they just get the job done, go forward and stability.

I would have a big bench Hala/ Peteru, Paasi, Shillington as I believe the best teams at the moment all have big forward packs and balanced size in the backs. Shillington would only be on bench so some experience can come to the field during interchange to keep direction the whole 80min.

Parcel is a speed demon and very versatile, I would love him on the bench and can either cover, Redman, Elgey,Taylor, JR if they get tired or injured, or depending on the state of the game could swap in with a forward if were vsing some tired teams.

I just think this is a good balance of size and mobility, has a spine to develop over many years to come and is balanced defensively with players playing in what I think is their best positions. I have had a couple beers so forgive my ramble. Trying to stay positive and what could be possible.
    I would like to see Kierran Moseley in there instead of Redman

Don't get me wrong I am a massive Mosely fan, my only qualm is he doesn't run out of dummy half that often and has no kicking game, this is were I believe Redman edges him out. But let's be serious one of our hookers will get injured for half a season so he will most likely be there for at least part a season, and competition for spots is good.

I have Hoffman pushing for wing, fullback, centre spots but think the others in the side offer more potential in the long run, but it would be good keeping them on their toes. Also need some more forwards to cover injuries.

Junior

I really think we will struggle without the pack to lead and set the platform for those two young halves. James just doesn't cut it as a backrower, either is Paasi. Both need to be in the Middle.

That's some ordinary team, prob worse than current one
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    That's some ordinary team, prob worse than current one
    Yep and in an ideal world where we were serious finals contenders we would have no room for Pettybourne, Paasi, Peteru, Hala, and probably Shillington. I'll hold fire on Redman and McDonald for now but I've seen nothing in them so far that gets me.

Edit: Sorry indoallstars, I meant to say though that it's a good post and a good discussion starter.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 27-07-15 at 05:36 AM.

Hey I thought I would throw it up for debate as we needed some fresh banter. I still think that team would make a lethal combination in the few years to come, I don't disagree that their first season together they would cop a hiding most of the time, but I see potential in everyone there.

Obviously what were doing at the moment isn't winning us any games despite the injuries, and I think the mead/Hoffman fullback argument is the least of our worries as they are both average in that position when compared to the rest of the league. JR is our most lethal attacking weapon by a mile, name even got throwed around for origin and just feel he is to restricted as a centre.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see some marquee signings in that squad but I'm also being realistic and facing the potential of not having any big names here and going money ball style.

I understand that a majority of the people on here don't like the idea of two fresh halves pairings but I would choose ash taylor over any of the other off contracters this year aka Sandow, T Roberts, Isaac John. I still would love Corey Norman but highly unlikely we will get him.

In regards to Petty and Paasi I think they have been playing a lot better than our senior pack, although paasi has had some defensive issues he's still young and this is his first season he will improve, unlike D Taylor who is crap in defense and has been playing nrl for a few years now.

It's the best out of a bad situation for the team I chose, I do agree we need a halves coach (Prince, Alfie, Rogers, Lockyer) and probably a motivational coach someone like Tallis to gee the boys up before the game, and Preston Campbell to insight some positive culture to rebuild this club of ours.

As a community we should be more pro stuff and less anti stuff, this contributes to why players don't give it their all on the Coast, when you see youngens lining up to be with the Broncos. The culture piece of the puzzle isn't only in the club but also is in us and we are just as big of an influence as the management.

I know this will spark some debate but I am bored at work and need some thing to keep me going till 5 so I can go home and watch Ballers.

I think it's not so difficult to work out what we need and if you need to fill-in a few hours Indo then do this exercise:

1. List the top five players in every position in the competition (include Pommie League if you like) using whatever you feel are best measures e.g. stats or reputation or entertainment value or just blokes you like.
    2. Look at who we have that can potentially compete with each of those players in each of those positions.
    3. Then fill in the gaps either from those you have identified and will become available or from those who could reach that level.

As an example, look at props: Scott, Graham, Burgess, Fifita, Bromwich (I know there are others but these are mine for a variety of reasons) and guess what, players such as Pettybourne are well below the top. James is one who can compete but is playing out of position and Shillington will help that. Pettybourne is a converted backrow while Paasi and Peteru may develop.

Anyway I'm sure you get the idea, enjoy
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

i love how it still isnt confirmed he has signed with us yet, but the media are already talking about him n elgey together...
    I think if he does however we will need to invest in some experience to help them out. I think we are one winger and one centre short. I dont rate don and we need someone to partner Roberts, he needs to toughen up if he wants to play fb. Throwing it out there but Lyon? was linked a couple of years ago and there are reports he might be on the way out? Solid centre and be great for the young halves. We need someone like him i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    i love how it still isnt confirmed he has signed with us yet, but the media are already talking about him n elgey together...
    I think if he does however we will need to invest in some experience to help them out. I think we are one winger and one centre short. I dont rate don and we need someone to partner Roberts, he needs to toughen up if he wants to play fb. Throwing it out there but Lyon? was linked a couple of years ago and there are reports he might be on the way out? Solid centre and be great for the young halves. We need someone like him i feel.
    I agree with your points about needing experience. Need to look at players other than Lyon as he ain't going anywhere.

Ashley Taylor ready for NRL baptism of fire when he arrives at the Gold Coast
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN AUGUST 08, 2015 12:00AM

BRONCOS young gun Ashley Taylor has declared he’s ready for an NRL baptism of fire when he forms the youngest playmaking partnership in Gold Coast Titans history.

The Titans pulled off what they’re hoping will be the recruitment coup of the decade when they snared Taylor from Wayne Bennett’s Broncos this week.

The 20-year-old Junior Kangaroos halfback was stuck behind Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford at Red Hill and spurned an opportunity to play alongside Daly Cherry-Evans at Manly to help rebuild the battling Titans.

Taylor has long been touted a future star of the game but he won’t receive a saloon passage to NRL glory at the Gold Coast.

The Toowoomba product is expected to partner rookie playmaker Kane Elgey, himself only 21, at the Gold Coast’s scrumbase next season in a move which will see the duo carry the tag of the code’s most inexperienced halves duo.

“I think I’m ready,” Taylor said. “It’s all about getting experience. I’ve never had a taste of first grade before so we’ll see how it is when it comes.

“I’m sure I’ll be ready. I’ll step up.”

Taylor was signed by the Broncos as a 13-year-old when he was cutting apart Toowoomba’s junior grades for Brothers.

The apprentice carpenter has overcome three shoulder reconstructions to develop into the standout halfback in the under-20s Holden Cup and has trained with the Broncos NRL squad for the past two preseasons.

Taylor never saw himself leaving the Broncos, especially next year given he was contracted, before a meeting with Bennett made him realise his future lay elsewhere.

“He said if I wanted to play first grade somewhere else I could or I could stay at the Broncos and sit behind those two waiting for my turn.

“I just wanted to play regular first grade. That’s what it’s all about.

“I’ve been with the club for a while now. I always dreamt of playing NRL in the Broncos jersey. It just didn’t work out that way.

“I felt a little bit of both (sadness at being given permission to leave and happiness at the opportunity).”

The Broncos under-20s are entrenched in the top four and Taylor is determined to lead them to a premiership before he moves on.

He will leave the incredibly successful Broncos — who boast six premierships — for a club that hasn’t made the NRL finals in five years.

But Taylor has never been one to shy away from a challenge. “I want to try and win the premiership with the Broncos this year then worry about the move when it comes,” he said.

“The Titans are developing and I’d love to be part of it.

“They haven’t had much success over the years but they’re looking to rebuild the club. It’ll be a good challenge to be a part of it. Neil Henry is a good coach and I can learn a lot off him.”

Henry isn’t expecting miracles from Taylor and Elgey next season.

“Everyone needs to take a realistic approach to the ongoing development of any young halves in the competition,” he said.

“Kane has shown remarkable improvement. He’s shown some real signs of being able to handle that level but there’s also aspects of his game he’s got to keep working on.

“It’s going to be a steep learning curve for Ash but he’ll get a good preseason in and learning from the NRL squad which he’s done before at the Broncos.

“He’s a representative player. He’s played at the highest levels for his age group.

“The objective is he’ll hit the ground running, play in the trials and aim to be in the starting team for Round 1.”

Bennett said Taylor was ready to make the step up to the NRL following three seasons and 44 matches in the Holden Cup.