Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Broncos rookie snubs Bozo for Titans

Broncos rookie Ashley Taylor snubs Manly’s Bob Fulton to sign with Gold Coast Titans
    PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL JULY 22, 2015 9:00PM

THE Titans have scored a $500,000 coup with Broncos young gun Ashley Taylor rejecting overtures from Manly supremo Bob Fulton to pledge his future to the embattled Gold Coast.

The Junior Kangaroos sensation’s verbal agreement to join the Titans is a major boost for the club ahead of their derby clash with Taylor’s Broncos on Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Taylor was one of the most sought-after youngsters in the code. The Titans, Manly, Cowboys and Dragons all expressed interest in the 20-year-old playmaker.

The Sea Eagles were considered frontrunners to snare Taylor after Fulton ramped-up his strategic plan to pair him with Daly Cherry-Evans, who sensationally reneged on his Titans deal last month.

Instead the Gold Coast have won the race for Taylor. The Toowoomba product told the Titans he wants to remain close to family and the parties will settle financial terms in the coming days.

The Titans initially tabled a two-year deal but are prepared to offer a third season to secure Taylor until the end of 2018.

The acquisition of Taylor helps ease the pain over the loss of Cherry-Evans, whose defection left Titans coach Neil Henry scrambling for a viable playmaking replacement.

Fulton has a high opinion of Taylor and viewed Cherry-Evans as a handy mentor but the Sea Eagles are facing a salary cap crisis that could lead to an exodus of Manly stars.

Taylor will team with fellow rookie Kane Elgey at the Titans scrumbase next season and underscored his talent with a sizzling display as the Broncos under-20s beat the Tigers 40-24 last Sunday.

Taylor has yet to play first grade but Broncos under-20s coach Craig Hodges insists the young halfback would not be out of his depth in the NRL next season.

“Ashley is ready,’’ Hodges said. “I have every confidence in him to make the jump to the NRL.

“I think it’s an exciting opportunity if the Titans blood two young halves. It would be exciting for their club and exciting for the players themselves.

“Often in our game, NRL players get recycled just because they’ve been in a system but it’s great to see a young bloke like Ashley coming through.

“He has a wonderful future in the game. Ash has great speed and good size for a halfback. He’s around (183cm) and over the next 12 months he will fill out and become a 90kg playmaker, so when he runs at the line he will have the speed and strength to pull through half gaps.

“He also has a very good kicking game and the ability to organise, so I have no doubt those strengths in his game can be transferred to the NRL.”

Taylor’s imminent signing caps a successful two days for the Titans, who on Tuesday staved off premiers Souths to retain promising back Brian Kelly.

The 19-year-old junior Origin star will train with the Titans’ NRL squad in November and is likened in style to South Sydney Test flyer Alex Johnston.

“Souths have been interested in him for a period of 12 months, but the Titans were able to increase their two-year offer,” his manager Tas Bartlett said.

“Brian is very happy that he is staying on the Gold Coast to live out his NRL dream.’’

- - - Updated - - -

Thought this one deserved it's own thread ...

SO ... the titans will boast the most inexperienced halves pairing in the comp as of 2016!

Thoughts?

suck sh*t Fulton.

that is all.

It was interesting hearing Toovey and Walters on 360 tonight talking about the best way to integrate young playmakers into the NRL.

They both seem like natural 7's to me... and yes, i understand the 'there isn't much difference nowadays, it's all left/right" argument, but I found myself agreeing with Gus' sentiments (strike me down lord) in commentary of the broncs game last Sunday regarding 6 & 7;

"If you have them playing the same, well you're doing something wrong"

So who plays which position? From what i've seen, they both favour left side too...

i think you play them to their strengths.

so if you have a good running guy and a good ball player ala milford / hunt or DCE / foran then that's how u set it up.

If you have two good ball players then you try and structure your team that way.

if they play a side each with a large edge forward ( Ryan James and Alex Glenn ), and potent centre ( Nene and JR )..then thats a possibilty.

or with these guys, Ash seems more of an organiser, and we could give LG free reign to pop up running and gunning where ever he wants too.

least we have a new half back to debate this now with Taylor's signing imminent.

Kid has been training with Broncos NRL team since he was 17 so must have something.

Having A-tay and LG in the halves does however see me leaning towards the hope of us landing Friend...we need some experience and stability in the spine and none of our current hooking options (or Parcell who I'm a huge fan of) will bring this in the immediate future.

Immortal

A key for the Taylor and Elgey partnership next year to take some pressure of is to get early clean ball to James Roberts, that will help prevent teams focussing heavily on them all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    A key for the Taylor and Elgey partnership next year to take some pressure of is to get early clean ball to James Roberts, that will help prevent teams focussing heavily on them all of the time.
    Agree mdrew. If we were to sign an experienced Hooker like Ballin or Friend they could help LG and Taylor get clean ball to then distribute to Roberts.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Any of these kids needs a quality forward pack to run off.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Taylor no done deal: Titans
    Thu 23 Jul, 2015, 6:00pm | By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent | NRL.com

The Titans have denied that they have agreed to terms with exciting young Brisbane half Ashley Taylor but remain confident they can entice him to the club.

Coach Neil Henry denied on Thursday a media report that stated Taylor had verbally agreed to terms with the Titans after the Junior Kangaroos representative was recently given permission by the Broncos to pursue an opportunity to play first grade elsewhere.

Henry is excited at the prospect of Taylor partnering rookie Kane Elgey in the Titans halves next season but said no agreement had yet been reached.

"No, he hasn't verbally agreed yet," Henry said ahead of his team's final training run before facing the Broncos on Friday night.

"He was certainly interested in staying in Queensland and we took that as a real positive but he's still had to go and consider his offers.

"We've put an offer in and I think there are two or three clubs interested so we're one of three.

"We've had a meeting with his management and tabled an offer so I suppose it's a bit of a wait and see now.

"The Broncos have said that he's allowed to look. We're hopeful that we can keep him in Queensland and he'd be an exciting player to have here, a young halves combination, but time will tell."

Manly are believed to be the strongest competitor to the Titans for Taylor's signature but the expectation is that the Toowoomba product will commit to Gold Coast.

Taylor spent a year on the Coast in 2010 when he attended Coombabah State High School where he earned a place in the Queensland under-15s representative side before returning to Toowoomba in 2011 to complete his schooling.

Although he has split his time between the Broncos' Holden Cup team and Souths Logan in the Intrust Super Cup, Taylor is the leading point-scorer in the under-20s competition with 144 points from 12 games and he is second for try assists with 19.

Titans fans who get to Suncorp Stadium early on Friday night will get a good look at Taylor who has been named at halfback in the Broncos' under-20s team who currently sit equal second on the Holden Cup ladder.

So the halves could be Mr Squiggle and Mr Bean next yr
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Which is better than Flipper the Turd and Captain Kangaroo.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Which is better than Flipper the Turd and Captain Kangaroo.
    What are you two old blokes on about?! fair dinkum...

I see in Josh Massouds latest 7th Tackle gossip column, he's also of the belief that 'A-Tay' (not sold on this one yet HS) is almost certainly coming here.

And DCE wants Lui outside him next year at manly

Cmon K2G, they are all excellent nicknames:

A-Tay (stop this right now) looks just like Rowan Atkinson
    Elgey has a remarkable resemblance to Mr Squiggle
    DCE can only be Flipper for the turd that he is.
    And have you forgotten Lyon as the great club hopper himself and now captain.

Inter-club rivalry is an accepted part of the game, just as Forum punch-ups should be encouraged otherwise this integral part of our great sport will be lost forever in the mire of political correctness. I'm sure teke can give it as well as take it in the usual manner that Manly fans do ... bending over which is why Peter Peters was actually known as the Sheik in the inner-sanctum.
    Last edited by Titanic; 24-07-15 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    What are you two old blokes on about?! fair dinkum...

I see in Josh Massouds latest 7th Tackle gossip column, he's also of the belief that 'A-Tay' (not sold on this one yet HS) is almost certainly coming here.

And DCE wants Lui outside him next year at manly
    u might be too young to know Mr Bean but mr squiggles is right in your zone
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]