Default Round 19: STORM vs PANTHERS

STORM vs PANTHERS
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Melbourne Storm v Penrith Panthers
    AAMI Park Friday, 7.35pm
    NRL.com

Momentum is a frustrating thing in footy. One minute you think you've finally got it, the next it's like it was never there to begin with.

As we approach the pointy end of the season these two teams are desperate to rediscover their mojo for good this time and end the rollercoaster of results.

For just the second time since 2002 Melbourne will need to overturn a run of four straight losses following their defeat at the hands of a red-hot Warriors last Sunday. Just six weeks ago the Storm were two games inside the top four, now a loss on Friday night could see them drop as low as 10th.

Coincidentally, their last win came against Penrith five weeks ago when the Panthers made 17 errors as the Storm shut them out 20-0.

Back-to-back wins in recent weeks would have had Ivan Cleary thinking he had finally turned a corner with his side but by the end of last week's 24-4 defeat to the Roosters he would have returned to scratching his head.

The big plus for the visitors is that they will enjoy an extra two days rest on their opposition this week as they chase their first win in Melbourne since 2005.

Both teams have remained unchanged in personnel following last week's defeats with the only swap being Felise Kaufusi to the bench for the Storm in place of Tim Glasby.

Watch Out Storm: Beware the poor starts – Melbourne has been as slow out of the blocks in recent weeks. Conceding the first three tries against New Zealand last week came after they found themselves 16-0 down after just 13 minutes against Canterbury the week before. Cameron Smith said his side would need an "attitude readjustment" to address the issue and given it will be the captain's 300th NRL game they should be up for the fight from the get-go. However should the Panthers score first it will likely plant the seed of doubt in a side that has not won since early June.

Watch Out Panthers: Beware the Milestone Man – Cameron Smith will become the first Storm player to reach 300 NRL games and just the 24th in history when he runs out onto AAMI Park on Friday night. Penrith should be expecting a fired-up Melbourne and, let's be honest, if they can't get up for this game, when will they? The impact of a player's milestone to a team's motivation once the game starts is up for debate, but with Smith held in such high esteem by not only his teammates but the city as a whole, the visitors better be on their guard from the outset.

Key Match-Up: Blake Green v Jamie Soward – The Penrith five-eighth was ruled out just before kick-off when these two teams last met back in Round 13. The Panthers failed to score any points while Green, his opposing number, ran riot, scoring two tries of his own. Now with Soward back in the side he may well prove the difference-maker however Green also posses a significant attacking threat having scored seven tries this season which sees him sit second on the Storm's try-scorers list behind only Marika Koroibete.

The History: Played 29; Storm 22, Panthers 7. The Storm have dominated the head-to-head between these two teams winning 13 of the past 14 games. Penrith have won only twice over from their 15 trips to Melbourne over the journey.

What Are The Odds: The home side are heavy favourites, with plenty of support for the Storm 13+. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Match Officials: Referee: Jared Maxwell. Assistant Referee: Gavin Morris. Touch Judges: Russell Turner and Belinda Sleeman. Video Referees: Bernard Sutton and Luke Phillips.

Televised: GEM, Live, 7.30pm AEDT (Victoria), Channel Nine, Live, 7.30pm AEDT (QLD), Delayed, 9.30pm AEDT (NSW).

The Way We See It: The Panthers have an extra two day break but Melbourne will be desperate, not only to win for their skipper but to stop their season from sliding into the abyss. Storm by 2.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Nervous Storm lift for Smith's 300th

Sat 18 Jul, 2015, 7:00am
    By William Botoulas, Melbourne Correspondent, NRL.com
    EMAIL PRINT
    Nervous Storm lift for Smith's 300th
    Melbourne saved their best performance of the 2015 Telstra Premiership season for the game that mattered most.

When the final siren sounded on their 52-10 demolition of Penrith the entire club could finally let out a collective sigh of relief.

In particular coach Craig Bellamy, who admitted he had felt nerves like never before ahead of captain Cameron Smith's 300th NRL game.

"I know myself throughout the week and especially today I was nervous as, probably more nervous than I've ever been in any game," Bellamy said.

"It was obviously a big occasion for our club and a big occasion for our captain.

"I've never been at a club where a player has played 300 games while I've been there so it was a bit of a different occasion for me.

"I am in awe of those guys who can play 300 games at this level and for Cameron to do it at the one club, he has never ever let this team down… we certainly owe him something and tonight was a little way in repaying him."

Rnd 19: Fri 17 Jul 2015, 7:35pm, AAMI Park
    #NRLStormPanthers
    FULL TIME
    WATCH HIGHLIGHTS PLAYER STATS TIPPING

For a man who has coached State of Origins, grand finals and countless finals it is quite a compliment to Smith that the master coach cut a nervous wreck before the match, something Smith certainly noticed in the warm-up.

"I saw him before the game actually and I could see that he was a little bit different to what he is most weeks and I just said 'Mate, it's my 300th but it's just a game of footy, you've got to relax!'" Smith said.

"For the guys to feel the way they did about the game tonight and my milestone and the big fella getting a bit nervous I guess it is quite humbling to hear words like that.

"That is the way of this club though, looking after each other and doing the very best you could for your teammate. I learnt that quite early when I joined the Melbourne Storm.

"Three-hundred is a pretty big number in any sport, it is sort of like the magical number and when you get there it is pretty special."

It was the perfect night for the Storm who also snapped their four-game losing streak to move back inside the Telstra Premiership top four.

The only concern to come out of the game was the sight of Cooper Cronk limping after the match with ice on the knee he injured prior to Origin II five weeks ago.

Cronk left the field with 10 minutes to play and received treatment after the game but the club is confident those measures were just a precaution.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Really wish I backed the Storm in to win. They are on fire.