Default Titans unearth next James Roberts (sic)

Meet the Gold Coast Titans’ latest schoolboys star who's the “next James Roberts” (sic)
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JULY 17, 2015 12:00AM

JAMES Roberts knows how important family is.

That’s why the Gold Coast Titans excitement machine has taken first cousin Tyrone Roberts-Davis under his wing.

Roberts-Davis is the latest Titans youngster, alongside Wavell High utility David Fauid who is also contracted to club, to be selected in the Australian Schoolboys team.

The 17-year-old Keebra Park High School student starred at last week’s carnival in Sydney and will pull on the green and gold in a two-test series against New Zealand Schoolboys in Brisbane later this year.

“It was a bit of a shock. I didn’t think I was going to make it,” Roberts-Davis said.

“They called my name out and I just stood there for a bit. The boys had to tell me to go up.”

Roberts-Davis, a rangy wing-fullback, grew up in Kempsey, the home of Albert Kelly, on the NSW north coast and took a leap of faith last year to head to Gold Coast.

He lives with the family of fellow student Kaleb Anthony, a Melbourne product, and has scored three tries in three Holden Cup under-20s matches this year.

His career is progressing nicely but Roberts knows how tough coming through the grades can be.

Roberts, who’s nicknamed “The Jet” due to his lightening speed, is at his third NRL club and has always looked to uncle Amos Roberts, a 232-game first grade veteran, for support.

Now he wants to repay the favour.

Roberts-Davis will move into his cousin’s home after he graduates this year and joins the Titans under-20s squad full-time.

“It’s given me a lot of pleasure to see him do well. I love him like he’s my little brother,” Roberts said.

“Our family’s pretty close. It means a lot to me to see him come through.

“He’s a good kid. He’s not like me when I was his age.

“I like being there for him because my uncle Amos was there for me.

“I’ll give him some advice whenever he needs it.”

Roberts-Davis isn’t sure where rugby league could take him but there is one thing he’d love to achieve.

“I want to make the NRL and see what happens from there,” he said.

“It’d be good to play in the same side as James.

“If I need any advice I go to him and my uncle Amos.

“They’re role models in the family.”

Roberts, the Gold Coast’s leading tryscorer this season, and Roberts-Davis could be a lethal combination of speed and skill if they ever get to play alongside each other.

And given they’re both contracted to the Titans until 2017, there’s every chance it could become a reality.

“I get a buzz out of him playing,” Roberts said.

“It makes me feel good before my games when I see him running out there before me.

“He’s got plenty of potential. He’s got the height I don’t have and he’s only 17.

“He could be anything.

“Hopefully he can improve his game and get up there (NRL) as quick as possible next to me.”

As for who’s faster?

“I reckon The Jet’s got him still,” Roberts said.

We’ll wait and see about that.

Terrible headline (different skill-set to jimmy) but exciting prospect nonetheless. Considering some of the talent that has come from the mid north coast (my part of the word), I'd love to see the club create a bigger presence here.
    Last edited by K2G; 17-07-15 at 06:25 AM.

great story and its great to see Jimmy stepping up and mentoring him

How many cousins does this guy have?

could have a roberts bloodline X111

but good story...and he ISNT the best young player we have in our youth comps, which is exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    How many cousins does this guy have?

could have a roberts bloodline X111

but good story...and he ISNT the best young player we have in our youth comps, which is exciting.
    My home town Coffs Harbour there were about 400 Roberts running around. It's a common aboriginal name
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    My home town Coffs Harbour there were about 400 Roberts running around. It's a common aboriginal name
    but isn't James Roberts a cousin of inglis, Albert Kelly, Preston Campbell et al? plus this new young kid.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    but isn't James Roberts a cousin of inglis, Albert Kelly, Preston Campbell et al? plus this new young kid.
    Probably, maybe...Lismore has alot of them and some really talented kids aswell
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]