Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Wackos Whispers....

Knights vs Titans

Knights to have 1 change with Houston set to overcome finger injury to come into 17 for Mataora, no other late changes expected. Titans also expected to have 1 change with Elgey set to start at HB with Mortimer expected to drop out of 17. Myles will play despite picking up arm injury last week, no other late changes expected.

Mortimer dropped all together, possibly. Wow.
    A bit harsh on Mortimer. Yeah, he had a bad game last Monday, but that was only because he was left to try and turn the game around single handedly. Where was Hoffman as 5/8 in that game?

Either way, if Elgey is playing, or chances of winning this game just jumped 100%

Looking forward to Greg Bird back in colours.

After last week Mortimer needs to go and have a good hard look at himself ... happy to see him out.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

After last week Mortimer needs to go and have a good hard look at himself ... happy to see him out.

Couldnt have said it any better
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

If Mortimer dropping out is true then a big thumbs up to Henry.

Burr has travelled with the team

I'm hearing that it'll be Kev Gordon who drops out when LG slots in, however Hoff is in a bit of doubt so a decision will be made closer to kick off

Nate Myles calls on senior players to save Titans’ NRL season

GOLD Coast skipper Nate Myles has demanded the senior players at the Titans lift their standards and rescue an NRL season in serious danger of free-fall towards a second wooden spoon in five years.

Six losses in their past eight games have left the Titans teetering in 14th place on the ladder and a loss to Newcastle at Hunter Stadium could actually see the Gold Coast drop to dead last by the end of the round if the Wests Tigers upset Brisbane on Sunday.

The mere fact the Titans are back trying to avoid the spoon rather than fighting for a spot in the top eight can be attributed to a horror injury run, but that excuse won’t wash over the final two months of the season with most of their team due back on the paddock.

Myles took aim at the senior players in the team, himself included, for their meek showing against Manly last Monday and said such a performance was not acceptable as the Titans fight to save their season.

“A lot of our senior guys including myself were probably not showing the way and it wasn’t our best performance certainly,” Myles said.

“I touched on the fact our senior and experienced guys didn’t stand up last week, we can’t rely on the fact (Greg) Birdy comes back that it’s all going to be fixed.

“He does bring a lot but there is a great side there on paper we just have to make sure our efforts are higher.

“Consistency is the thing we’ve not lost all year, if we keep things consistent we will be a lot better. We can’t sit back and hope we need to start doing it.

“100 per cent it is a test of character. All year it’s been easy to say our effort has been fantastic but our effort wasn’t good last week. It’s a first for us, we need to make sure the effort is good and execution and completion are up there as well.”

The last time the Titans travelled to Newcastle last season they upset the Knights with a gutsy 22-8 win in an emotional “Rise for Alex” tribute game.

The Knights beat the Titans 20-18 in a nailbiter in Round 3 this year so the Gold Coast know what is coming for them with Newcastle desperate to break a six-game losing streak today.

There’s no question this is a demanding time for Myles. Coming from the highs of a record Origin triumph for Queensland, he knows he needs to perform at NRL level for the Titans otherwise he could leave the club having never played finals football.

Today’s game will be his third in 10 days, with the 30-year-old faced with five-day turnarounds after Origin III and the Manly defeat.

He then has a six-day preparation before a derby battle with Brisbane to take his tally to four games in 16 days. It’s a tough time but he is the last person to use it as an excuse.

“There is four games jammed in pretty quick succession but I suppose it’s just what you do,” he said.

“It makes it a lot harder when you perform like we did last week. We need to make sure our performance is better.

“(The schedule) is just what you get handed, other teams and other sides are handling it pretty well and seem to be getting through so no excuses on that front.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

All words from a man who's more worried about how his Manly jersey fits next year.

there are two levels on honesty...

the easy, 'sorry guys, my bad, i didnt aim up' to take pressure of yourself and appear accountable...

and then there is actual accountability and honesty where you reflect on yourself and also hold others accountable also.

if everyone is consoling themselves saying oh darn i didnt play well, but we all played bad together...that's a comfortable honesty that wont serve the team.

If our leaders hit a few people between the eyeballs with that actual uncomfortable honesty and demand more... then we will see improvement.

you put a team like the Storm in a dressing room and ask them to critique each other... its awkward, but they will do it in the interests of the club, and players performance improves as they a) dont want to be pointed at next time, but also b) begin to understand what's required of the club.

as long as everyone is mates and they all giggle when the hard conversations are meant to be had..or facetiously throw a 'didnt play well enough' over a group, they all hide in that anonymity and aren't sparked to improve.

That is long winded and maybe not explained properly, but there is a whole new culture of accountability in elite sport and im pretty sure we aren't at the pointy of it. Someone like Douglas i think could drive this sort of leadership, aided by other 'team first' individuals like Mead. a leadership group that gets really pissed off when others dont deliver

We need either a consultant to address the group, or we need to visit some of the elite AFL clubs, like Hawthorn or Fremantle. They do it well enough to make us look like a park team.
    Last edited by DavidBouveng; 18-07-15 at 07:58 AM.

Sat 18 Jul, 2015, 7:30am
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com

Redman ready to face Knight terrors

They were the enforcers he was once happy to have on his side but Titans hooker Chad Redman is expecting the heavy Newcastle artillery to be directed his way when he takes on his former club on Saturday.

Having made his NRL debut for the Knights in Round 10 against the Wests Tigers, Redman made a mid-season switch to the Titans and has figured in all three games since his arrival in mid June.

A product of Wests Newcastle and a Knights junior all through the grades, returning to Hunter Stadium in the colours of the Titans will be an unusual experience for the 22-year-old and he is not expecting any favours from former teammates.

Tariq Sims has started the tactics of intimidation with some text messages during the week but it's the onslaught from the likes of Beau Scott, Kade Snowden and Jeremy Smith that Redman says he is trying to prepare for.

"I'll know what to expect when I get there," said Redman ahead of his fourth game for his new club. "They've got a couple of forwards down there, Kade Snowden and Jeremy Smith in particular, that will come after me I think so I've just got to try and stay out of their way.

"They're the enforcers... Well, they like to think they are anyway. They'll be trying to hunt me down so can't wait to get out there with them.

"As soon as I made the move up here I jotted this down in my calendar so just can't wait to get down there and rip in on Saturday."

As it did 12 months ago, the clash between the Knights and Titans in Newcastle coincides with Rise for Alex Round which this year has been merged with the Men of League Heritage Round to raise funds to help those injured whilst playing rugby league.

Redman was in the stands as Knights captain Kurt Gidley wheeled Alex McKinnon out to the field in what were incredibly emotional scenes and hopes he will get to catch up with his good friend after the game on Saturday.

"I'm pretty good mates with Alex and that was a pretty emotional day watching that," said Redman. "It was a pretty big game, that Rise For Alex Round, and I think the Titans got up that day so hopefully we can repeat that on Saturday.

"I send him text messages every now and again to see how he's going and he sees how I'm going. I didn't get the chance to catch up with him when I moved up here and he was still here doing his rehab so hopefully I get to catch up with him on Saturday."

He admits it will be weird to run onto Hunter Stadium wearing anything other than a Knights jersey and although Titans fans will be well and truly outnumbered, Redman has done his bit to round up a bit of support for the visitors.

"My Dad is actually still a Knights member but there are a couple [of extended family members] that follow the Sharks so they'll all be behind the Titans on Saturday," he said.

"[Dad] will be a Titan, he'll come with me. I've got him a Titans hat to take down to him so he'll wear that.

"I was only thinking about that yesterday, how weird it will be. I'll have to check my jumper twice to actually know I'm a Titan now and not a Knight.

"They'll be desperate down there at home and they'll want to perform well in front of that crowd that gets pretty vocal. Hopefully we can keep them on that losing streak."
    #itaintweaktospeak

@balym_CMail: Kane Elgey back for Titans, Hoffman to fullback, Mead to wing & Kevin Gordon out.

Getting close to full strength now. Crucial game coming up. We need to win this one.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    @balym_CMail: Kane Elgey back for Titans, Hoffman to fullback, Mead to wing & Kevin Gordon out.

Getting close to full strength now. Crucial game coming up. We need to win this one.
    Great news! Yes we MUST win this game.

Pizza on the way, let's do this.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Positional shuffle in Titans changes
    http://www.titans.com.au/

Kane Elgey returns from injury which means a backline reshuffle in the Aquis Titans side to take on the Newcastle Knights.

Josh Hoffman will drop to fullback and David Mead revert to the wing, with Kevin Gordon dropping out of the side.

Those are the only changes to the 17 with the bench remaining Paasi, Pettybourne, Peteru and Redman.

The Knights also have changes with Sione Mata'utia out and Jake Mamo coming into the side. They have two changes on the bench with Chris Houston returning from injury, and Clint Newton joining him. Joseph Tapine and Sam Mataora drop out.

NRL PREVIEW: v Knights
    By Neil Cadigan
    http://www.titans.com.au/

The Aquis Titans can move to two points behind eighth spot on the competition ladder with victory against last-placed Newcastle Knights at Hunter Stadium today.

But the equation if the team loses today should also be a motivating factor – it could leave them last on the ladder.

With Greg Bird back in the side for the first time since round eight when the Titans had won three in a row and four out of five games, and hooker Beau Falloon in the starting line with him for the first time since that match too, the side knows what is on the line.

Coach Neil Henry has gone for seniority and experience in the starting pack and thrown down the challenge to the senior players who admit they were off the pace against Manly on Monday night in aggression and energy.

“With Birdy back and Beau having made a successful return on Monday night, their experience will be invaluable for our younger players,” said coach Neil Henry.

“Their presence gives us probably our strongest starting pack – Myles, Falloon, Douglas, James, Taylor, Bird - for the first time since round four when we beat the Sharks and only the third time this season.

“It’s a challenge to those experienced men to get us off to a better start than we had against the Knights when we coughed up too much early possession. A look at the Newcastle pack shows they are quite formidable too with Kade Snowden, Tyler Randell, Korbin Sims, Beau Scott, Tariq Sims and Jeremy Smith.

“We need a good start to build us some momentum and set a platform and when we have done that this season we have performed well.

“While Birdy’s presence is obviously going to be a big lift for the team, the other players can’t sit back and think he is going to be an automatic catalyst for an improved performance.

“They have to lift around him, and play their roles and make his return easier for him. While he has been training hard and champing at the bit to get back after 10 weeks out since the Anzac Test, he’s going to lack match fitness and the other players have to lift and support him.”

The weather forecast is for overcast conditions and possible rain with a big southerly blowing down the stadium, so the Titans’ kicking game will have to improve, but it is defensive attitude from the team that has conceded more points than anyone in 2015 that will be the key.

The Titans will be out to avenge the 20-18 loss at Cbus Super Stadium in round three when Joe Leuluai scored from what appeared a clear knock on but was ruled a knock back on the night, only for referees boss Tony Archer to later admit the ruling was wrong.

The Knights have won only two matches since, while the Titans began its winning streak the next week against Cronulla before injuries in the key positions of the halves, hooker and fullback intervened. This is the match when another winning streak could begin.

HEAD TO HEAD

Played 13; Knights 8, Titans 5.

At Hunter Stadium: Played 7; Knights 4, Titans 3.

TRIES SCORED: Titans 55, Knights 52.

TRIES CONCEDED: Titans 71, Knights 69.

COMPLETION RATES: Titans 71%, Knights 75%.

GOALKICKING: Titans 76%, Knights 81%.

Can't help to think that Dave Taylor will pull a Sandow after being told he's gone next year. Everyone else better aim up. No excuses.

Im liking the Heritage strip