Cowboys tribute outgoing CEO
http://www.nrl.com

As Greg Tonner was officially unveiled as the new Cowboys CEO, football manager Peter Parr has paid tribute to former boss Peter Jourdain, saying his work greatly improved one of the fundamental aspects North Queensland's brand.

Jourdain was the main man in North Queensland for four years, ending his tenure at the conclusion of the 2014 season, and will be remembered most for his contribution to the club's community culture.

The Cowboys are one of the most active clubs in their community, with regular appearances at schools, and advocacy programs a staple of being a North Queensland Cowboy.

"Pete was terrific. I thought that his work around our community space was really good," Parr told NRL.com.

"Our community work has increased over his tenure. It became better resourced and he had a real focus there and did a really good job.

"He wanted to make sure that the club was doing the right things but also that we weren't out of sight and out of mind. I thought he represented our club really well on the national stage.

"He also wanted to make sure that this club got a fair go from the NRL and people like that."

Head coach Paul Green was also complimentary of working under Jourdain, who has since moved back home to Sydney.

Green launched his NRL coaching career in the north and says he will be forever grateful for the shot at his dream.

"He was the CEO and gave me my first opportunity. He said I'm the coach and it was my job to coach the team and he was happy to let me go and do that. I am forever grateful for Pete," Green said of his freedom in the role as rookie coach.

Jourdain's successor, Tonner, said his primary focus was to build on the club's previous work and to distribute the brand more widely and keep it fresh in the minds of both community and corporate.

"The focus for me to start is really about connection. The plan is to get out and about across the whole region and we're putting together a schedule now. I really want to go out and meet our members and our community, stakeholders and sponsors – the people who make our club," he said.

"We want to partner with the NRL as the governing body and understand what their objectives are and to work with the other clubs and the NRL to put together a strategy that works for North Queensland and continues to work for North Queensland."

After playing at 1300SMILES Stadium over the Cowboys' 20-year history, Tonner has also put the proposed super stadium in Townsville's CBD high on the club's agenda.