Default NYC Coaching - a change for 2016?

With another stream of poor results, what are your thoughts on our current coaching structure? I know it's been tough for Woolf given injuries and I'm willing to accept that, but we've got a roster littered with talent and just can't seem to capitalise on it. The general consensus on here is that selections are not warranted either.

It's always tough with our juniors because remaining optimistic is essential and knocking our younger players can do a lot in terms of knocking their confidence, but we need to be realistic here - something clearly isn't clicking.

My primary concerns are:
    -Team selections
    -Whether or not the players want to play for the coach

I feel as if my first concern influences the second one and we are all aware of the fact that players are looking elsewhere due to not being selected when they're absolutely destroying the grade below...hence why Burleigh colts win every week by 20+ points.

Is 2016 the time to look for someone new? Someone with a fresh outlook, a strong relationship with players on the coast and a proven track record? It's a contentious topic as the NYC competition can be influenced by single players in teams dominating the comp but consistent bottom 4 finishes isn't par when we have such a strong nursery and dominance in Colts grade as well as Under 18's, IMO. This is a results driven position and the results just aren't there.

Anyhoo, thoughts and feelings?

Great post scoop. As someone who has only caught a couple of televised 20s games this season, it's very difficult to have an informed opinion, although it does seem apparent that changes are needed. Are there any strong candidates that you (or anyone else) would like to see come in as our new 20s HC? Is it better to have a coach from the area with extant relationships with the regions youth, or head hunt rising coaching talent from far and wide?

Quote Originally Posted by K2G View Post
    Great post scoop. As someone who has only caught a couple of televised 20s games this season, it's very difficult to have an informed opinion, although it does seem apparent that changes are needed. Are there any strong candidates that you (or anyone else) would like to see come in as our new 20s HC? Is it better to have a coach from the area with extant relationships with the regions youth, or head hunt rising coaching talent from far and wide?
    In all honesty, I feel like a 20's coaching position should be a stepping stone in itself. Much like the players in the grade, it is a development position and an up and coming coach who has coached youth at a high level (MM Cup, SG ball for e.g.) should serve priority. However, the ability to have someone from the area who has a) coached these guys at a lower grade and b) has a strong relationship with the players is going to go a long way in developing the right culture within the squad.

Also, it would vary for different areas. For e.g. the above principle wouldn't apply for a club in western Sydney where players are chopping and changing between clubs from year to year and there isn't really that concentration of particular players dedicated to a particular area and therefore a particular coaching group. The Gold Coast however does have this concentration and this needs to be considered, adding weight to the need for a coach who has coached these guys before or has a relationship with them to some extent.

I'd be looking at our MM Cup coaches who have had success if I was in charge. Otherwise Burleigh Colts coach.

I think that question has been answered by the fact that darryl fisher current coach of burleigh colts isnt from the gold coast and previously coached one of the cyril connell teams a couple of yrs ago..Also the coaches selected for cyril connell teams 2016 have little or no knowledge of the the gold coast jnrs who will be trialling..

- - - Updated - - -

Darryl fisher not the man believe me.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by palmbeachpariah View Post
    I think that question has been answered by the fact that darryl fisher current coach of burleigh colts isnt from the gold coast and previously coached one of the cyril connell teams a couple of yrs ago..Also the coaches selected for cyril connell teams 2016 have little or no knowledge of the the gold coast jnrs who will be trialling..

- - - Updated - - -

Darryl fisher not the man believe me.
    And who are the Cyrill Connell coaches? Have they been announced?

In public i dont believe so ...nathan antonic and tim macintyre....

Junior

In public i dont believe so ...nathan antonic and tim macintyre....
    If so, then i do believe you have no idea of who these men are -

Tim McIntyre was assistant coach for CC White last year, and part of MM White the year before. He is also one of the Titan HPU coaches, and has coached Gold Coast Vikings 14s, and SEQ 13s

Nathan, also has experience in the juniors as he is a police officer who is also one of the coaches for the Gold Coast Academy of Sport RL program.

P.S on a side note I have heard that Tim McIntyre, will be co-coaching his CC side along side Roy Leoni, who was MM coach for Green last year, and assistant to Scott Mahon for MM the previous 3 years. and one of the MM sides will have co-coaches.

You said 'Also the coaches selected for cyril connell teams 2016 have little or no knowledge of the the gold coast jnrs who will be trialling..' lol to me its you who has little or no knowledge of coaches on the gold coast, or just sour grapes
    Last edited by RenegadeGC; 21-08-15 at 07:02 AM.

thats why they were both at the major semi 15s last night ..because they only have limited knowledge of those boys...there are plenty of kids up to the so called titans HPU standards here on the gold coast but they choose to go to group 18 and group 1 where the standards are awful...find out who went well last night and those who didnt live up their reputations

And please kids were rested from even trialing in the mal meninga last yr because they had played cyrill connell ..and their form before the trial?..plain awful since the rep season finished.. i put this to neil henry and his response " well i dont know the kids so i leave that to others"

And thats why Jessie Savage although selected went to cronulla to play in their winning SG Ball side (now playing 20s) and a number of other burleigh boys went and played in the same comp with the WA side...Maybe you need to be a little less sycophantic..
    Last edited by palmbeachpariah; 22-08-15 at 07:33 AM.

Junior

thats why they were both at the major semi 15s last night ..because they only have limited knowledge of those boys...there are plenty of kids up to the so called titans HPU standards here on the gold coast but they choose to go to group 18 and group 1 where the standards are awful...find out who went well last night and those who didnt live up their reputations

And please kids were rested from even trialing in the mal meninga last yr because they had played cyrill connell ..and their form before the trial?..plain awful since the rep season finished.. i put this to neil henry and his response " well i dont know the kids so i leave that to others"

And thats why Jessie Savage although selected went to cronulla to play in their winning SG Ball side (now playing 20s) and a number of other burleigh boys went and played in the same comp with the WA side...Maybe you need to be a little less sycophantic..
    I'm guessing your a staunch Burleigh man coming from your statements made. Which junior side do you coach or have kids playing in?

I don't see what the problem is for people going to watch semi-final football? lol yes they may have been there to look at players, but then again they have may just been there to watch and enjoy a night out at the footy (even though it was raining).

Not all kids, will remain on the coast, congrats to Jesse, as he has done a magnificent job playing 20s at 18 and a good kid as well. As for the other two, well that's their decision to go play for the Pirates. And many more to come will move on, that is the current nature of football these days. Northern Rivers area is a great catchment for the Titans, and the Gold Coast, I don't see the problem (does that mean you have a problem with us extending our reach to Logan, and Ipswich?).

Anyway all fair in love and football, everyone is entitled to their opinions, both positive and negative, that's why these forums are here for us to express our thoughts etc.

Oh, what does 'sycophantic' mean, Rugby League is a simple game, and I'm a simple person, that word is far to complex. Maybe you should follow a complex game like Rugby Union using fancy words like that.

Touche lol...the greatest problem with the titans right now is their junior development under jamie mc..kids and parents have no faith in their systems as evidenced by the number of decent kids that leave..

2 decent frontrowers in the system have left the most recent being max elliot..a good mate of mine was offered a cyril connell coaching position long before the current 2 applied plus a role at the titans and very critical of the above. the new coaches have spent plenty of time ringing around as the kids without the
    scapbooks are going better...because these guys dont know who the good kids are now :0 schoolboy football is great except the teams are selected by school teachers :0

a staunch burleigh man? lol quite the opposite..but im on the ground and what i dont see i get genuine unbiased feedback..i really gont give a rats about what current coaches may have done in the past..if that was important rod patto at pbc would be relevent