Default Titan catches a bus to training

Battling Agnatius Paasi makes most of chances at Gold Coast Titans
    TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JUNE 05, 2015 12:00AM

AGNATIUS Paasi is the NRL player who catches a bus to training.

In what has been an inspiring turnaround, Paasi has risen from the rugby league wilderness to Titans first grade team this season after joining the club from New Zealand.

But he isn’t living the lavish lifestyle like some of his teammates.

Paasi arrived at the Gold Coast on a “train and trial” contract and is on a minimum second-tier salary of $50,000.

The 23-year-old sends much of his earnings to partner Chloe and three-year-old son Manatoa in New Zealand.

Paasi lives alone in Broadbeach and doesn’t own a car, meaning he has to catch public transport to get to training at Pizzey Park every morning.

It’s far from the glitz and glamour NRL players are perceived to be a part of but Paasi knows the rewards will come if he continues his resurrection.

The Tongan prop is on the cusp of inking an upgraded two-year deal with the Titans and may be thrust on to Leichhardt Oval tonight to face Wests Tigers, the first NRL club he was signed to.

“They’re (Chloe and Manatoa) still back home. It’s still hard but hopefully I can go back soon and see them,” he said.

“I haven’t been back for a few months. We’re looking at the end of the season (for them to move to the Gold Coast).

“It is (tough). It gets a bit lonely sometimes. You’ve got to find something to do.

“I’m trying to find a car at the moment so I’m catching the bus to training. It’s not too bad.”

Paasi is quickly becoming somewhat of a cult hero at the Titans.

He stripped 9kg from his imposing frame in the off-season to make an unlikely Round 1 debut for the *Titans and has impressed with his barnstorming runs.

He’s in a battle with Mark Ioane for the final prop spot on the bench tonight after overcoming a foot injury and Paasi said he was ready to return to the NRL.

“I’m just trying to do all the right things and hopefully get that chance again,” he said after missing a month of action.

“I felt good out there playing with lots of experienced players. If they call me up I’m ready.”

Paasi joined the Tigers in 2010 after winning the national schoolboys title with Keebra Park the previous year but the association didn’t last long.

He was forced to return to New Zealand because of visa issues and managed just one NRL game for the Warriors last year before being cut.

“He was with the Tigers and they’d done a good job with him but he had to go home after school because he didn’t have a visa to stay,” his manager Simon Mammino said.

“He’s worked extremely hard. He left his family and young one behind to come across with no guarantees.

“His work ethic, desire and self-belief has got him to where he is. We’re in the process of re-signing but it looks like he’ll be a Titan for another two years. The club’s been good to him.”

- - - Updated - - -

Love this bloke. I hope he plays tonight and cements his bench spot for the rest of the year. Another young player I think we can build the team around going forward.

Huge fan of Iggy. Deserves to be re-signed.

Surely our sponsor could help him with a car deal???
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I live in Upper Coomera (upper rotorua), I've got two spare rooms. I'd happily put him up and get him to and from training. I was fortunate enough to be seated in front of his home stay "parents" that he stayed with when he was here at a younger age. They were beaming with pride and had some awesome stories to tell about him. I was at the fence when Agnatius came over to greet them. Had my wife in tears. Sign him up and give him a pay rise.

What a great story and its goes to show not all players are about the money some players like Iggy actually play for the love of the game and for the fans

I recently got myself a new job that comes with a company car. Which means i have a spare, fairly new car sitting in my garage. All i'd need to do is convince the other half! >_>

If we could just develop the right culture within the club then these impressionable young guys would turn into fine men ... I must say that the kind offers from the stalwarts on here give me some confidence in our community after the crap we've been served-up this week.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Cherry-Evans View Post
    Surely our sponsor could help him with a car deal???
    If Sandow comes here (hopefully not) the next few cars are reserved for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Hahaha. Probably need to buy a tank .....
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Iggy's family reunion

By Neil Cadigan

Thu 2nd July, 04:05PM
    A A

For most of the Aquis Titans squad this week the round 17 bye meant a time to get away, freshen up and address the last nine rounds as a period of some urgency now as the team sits outside the top eight.

While the fit members of the squad zipped up their kit bags after training on Tuesday and don’t return until Monday, the many in the rehab squad have been sweating it out to ensure they are in good shape for a return – several of them hopefully against the Sea Eagles on Monday week.

For Agnatius ‘Iggy’ Passi, this week meant something different altogether.

After being signed for a one-year deal after leaving his Auckland home playing for his career on a train-and-trial contract, he has remained apart from his partner Chloe and three-year-old son Memetoa since he arrived last November.

Chloe remained in Auckland to finish her university studies (she wants to be a history school teacher) and Agnatius has had just two trips back home, a two-week break over Christmas and during a bye weekend.

They have had to rely on the nightly Viber video chats, during which he reads Memetoa a bedtime story, to keep in touch.

But on Tuesday night Chloe, Agnatius and Memetoa had an emotional reunion at Brisbane airport and the next five days will be spent spending time in the decidedly warmer climate of the Gold Coast before he returns to training.

Chloe finished her university course last week and will remain here for a month before heading home to have their second son, due in September, surrounded by family in Auckland.

By that stage, Agnatius hopes to have extended his commitment to the Aquis Titans with the club and management close to agreeing a new deal after he has impressed during his nine NRL appearances either side of a month’s absence because of a foot injury.

Paasi’s best performance was against the big-name Roosters pack last Sunday. He rattled the cage of fellow Kiwi Jared Waerea-Hargreaves a couple of times and played 80 minutes for the first time in the NRL.

After natural hurdles of homesickness, the injury and acclimatising to the tough training under hotter conditions that his hometown, he spent this week content – on and off the field.

“It’s been a bit hard obviously not having them here; it’s always in the back of my mind,” said Paasi, who was born in Tonga but spent most of his upbringing in Auckland, where he won an under-20s premiership with the Warriors in 2011.

“But I have to play well week in and week out because I am playing them; for my son’s future. I Viber every night and tell him a story, something at the top of my head because I don’t have books with me.

“It’s going to be so good to have them here for a month, a do things with them.

“Hopefully I can stay longer with the Titans and they can come back over for the start of training later in the year.”

Coach Neil Henry is extremely happy with Paasi’s progress in recent weeks.

“He’s a real positive story, earning his place in the team after coming here with no guarantees on a train-and-trial contract,” he said.

“We kept him out there for 80 minutes because he was doing well against a pretty good pack against the Roosters.

“We’re talking now and are just about there in extending his time with us.”

END OF ARTICLE

I really like this kid. Hope we look after him.

What a great story and he seems such a lovely humble guy, especially compared to cretins like Flipper. All the best to him and I agree JunctionBlock, I hope the Titans look after him and his family.

He's a great young bloke & has shown plenty of potential , the longer his game time the better he is getting , he will be resigned & I hope they give him a 2 year contract to prove his worth.
    #itaintweaktospeak