Default Mortimer embraces life as middle man

Mortimer embraces life as middle man
    Thu 04 Jun, 2015, 8:33pm
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com

He came to the Gold Coast to establish himself as an NRL No.7 but Daniel Mortimer is now ready to accept that his greatest value to the Titans lies at hooker.

Mortimer has been named to start at hooker for the Titans against the Wests Tigers on Friday night after starting in the position for the first time in his career in last Saturday's 22-16 loss to the Rabbitohs.

This will be the first time in his 108-game career to date that Mortimer has played an NRL game in the No.9 jersey and - after an encouraging display six days ago - is setting his sights on making it a permanent move.

Having started his career in the halves with the Eels, Mortimer was used as a dummy-half off the bench in 26 of his 27 games for the Roosters in their 2013 premiership-winning season but always had aspirations of commanding an NRL team from halfback.

Those aspirations have not completely faded away but he does see an opportunity to develop into a quality hooker at the Titans with Beau Falloon and Matt Srama both currently sidelined through injury.

"Nine, whether you play good or bad is related to your effort that you apply and I don't believe I'm short on effort at all whereas in the halves you can try your absolute butt off but still have a shocker," said Mortimer. "I am enjoying nine and I could be a very good nine but in saying that, I still love the halves.

"Neil [Titans coach Neil Henry] knows that I'm not scared and that I'll put my body in front of any big fella to stop him getting a roll on or getting over the try-line but the main thing was that he wanted me to bring enthusiasm to the team.

"When I came off the bench, that was the main thing and that was my role at the Roosters as well, to come on and try and lift the side and lift the talk.

"I was pretty knackered out there [against the Rabbitohs] but I thought I was quite enthusiastic and I got around the field all right so that's what he wants me to bring and I feel I did a reasonable job on the weekend."

This is great news as it opens the way to show the door to Falloon and Srama. Golly the salary cap feels like it has a few extra noughts on the end with this development.

Falloon is off contract this year, we still have another year to run on Srama's contract. Come the end of 2016 we should be cleaning out some major deadwood. Taylor and White. Guess it shows the importance of offloading Kevin Gordon as his contract isn't up till 2017.

We need Kev to have a good couple of weeks, maybe a length of the field try and another two quality finishes, just to get another team interested in his contract.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Kevvie may have a good couple of weeks but it will be in Qld Cup. Hard to get noticed there especially if Titans existing wingers are performing.