Default Frizelle Blindsided by DCE Backflip

Titans chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle says she was blindsided by Daly Cherry-Evans’ backflip
    PETER BADEL AND TODD BALYM EXCLUSIVE THE COURIER-MAIL JUNE 05, 2015 12:00AM

TITANS chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle admits she was blindsided by Daly Cherry-Evans’ contract backflip.

“I felt Daly was rock solid,’’ Frizelle said.

As Cherry-Evans flew into Brisbane on Thursday for Manly’s clash with the Broncos tonight, Frizelle revealed her disillusionment with the contract saga that has forced the NRL to change its contract-registration rule.

Frizelle said Cherry-Evans had personally assured her he was committed to joining the Gold Coast next season.

The respected businesswoman was a key figure in securing Cherry-Evans’ signature. It was at her family’s prestige car yard at Southport where Cherry-Evans and his wife Vessa attended the meeting that sealed his $4 million contract with the Titans.

When rumours of Cherry-Evans’ potential backflip surfaced last month, the Manly playmaker moved to douse the speculation by telling Frizelle he was still coming to the Titans.

Frizelle was at a business meeting on Wednesday spruiking Cherry-Evans’ qualities when she discovered he had signed a lifetime deal with Manly.

“I’m old fashioned, if you give me your word, I take you at your word,” Frizelle said.

“We’ve built a successful business on that basis. Integrity is a critical ingredient.

“I never had a reason to doubt Daly or his word. We had a signed contract.

“His management conveyed that he was rock solid and he was committed to coming to the Titans. On this basis, the club made recruitment and retention decisions to ensure we remained within the salary cap.

“He is clearly an exceptional player, but we are very disappointed.

“The way I look at it, the club is bigger than one any player, it’s about the entire team.

“The club has had to overcome worse situations than this and I can assure you we will recover again.’’

Frizelle learned of Cherry-Evans’ Brookvale bombshell through the media and was so disappointed at hearing the news, she did not take a phone call from the halfback.

“Daly tried to ring me,” she said.

“It was after the media had alerted me to what had happened so I felt there was nothing more to say.’’

Asked if she felt Cherry-Evans had lied to her and the Titans, Frizelle said: “I don’t feel I’ve been lied to (but) our loyal fans and supporters deserve lot more respect than what they’ve been shown.

“What has happened with Daly is not how we do business.

“The Gold Coast Titans have to move on now and that’s exactly what we will do.’’

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett hopes Cherry-Evans will not be booed when he runs on to Suncorp Stadium tonight.

“I can’t judge how people will react, we are all different, but he has made his decision,” Bennett said.

“He is moving on and the rest of us should too and just enjoy watch him play football.

“He’s a good footballer and I’m pleased he’s playing tomorrow for the game’s sake.

“It will be a relief for Daly. Football is what he does and when he runs on to the footy field tomorrow night, he will feel it’s where he should be.’’
    Last edited by K2G; 04-06-15 at 09:07 PM.

I still remember how excited she was in landing his signature in the first place.

It's sad but I like her attitude and style.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

A very well written article. The common thread is an elegance and no nonsense approach, just facts about integrity, handshakes, signed contract and giving your word.
    There was no name calling or vitriol , just facts and was probably the most damning indictment printed in the last 24hrs.

A good article from a classy, savvy and successful businesswoman.

Puts some perspective back into the responsibility of giving people your word and making personal assurances, as opposed to using mantras like "i was playing within the rules" while deceiving those around you.

I hope DCE reads it.
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 05-06-15 at 03:38 PM.

I love this new holier than thou edge the Titans have recently adopted.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Gotta balance out the universe. Ying and Yang. Titans take the high road while Manly show why DCE is ideal for that club.

its not holier than thou, and the people speaking out, quite respectfully considering how shafted they got, are doing nothing other than simply expressing there feelings about the value someone's word and assurances. Daly himself has said what he has done is dishonourable but he doesn't care because its for family.

If it were former management maybe, but Annesley, Frizelle, Henry and co have done nothing that should prevent them from expecting people maintain their honour. i applaud them for their stance.

Manly as a club, botched up the deal the whole way. it was a joke how badly they messed this up, but they still got there're man...just cost them a bit more this way. they would have paid whatever it took to save face and keep there own asses in power. Oh, and now they have dropped about $2 million per year into Daly Inc, everytime he wants something, the toys will come out of the cot again till he gets it.

I would have loved to have him, i really would, but i saw enough funny things from DCE over the last 8 weeks to believe he wasn't the messiah we wanted off the field anyway. He wouldn't have been anywhere near as helpful as Scott Prince was to our cause and our marketability. he was such a beacon and touch stone for people into our team.

Mate I like it as it is showing that there is a new attitude and that the club is raising the bar publicly. She is also showing what has made her successful.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady