Default Titans’ James Roberts has signed a $1 million contract extension with the club

Titans’ James Roberts has signed a $1 million contract extension with the club

PETER BADEL THE COURIER-MAIL JUNE 05, 2015 12:00AM

TRY-SCORING sensation James Roberts has moved a step closer to finishing his career on the Gold Coast after agreeing to a $1 million contract extension with the Titans.

As the Coast pick up the pieces from the Daly Cherry-Evans contract circus, the club can take solace in the knowledge their most lethal weapon, Roberts, is staying on the holiday strip.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the speed demon has agreed to terms, with the Titans set to formally announce Roberts’ upgraded deal after Friday’s clash against Wests Tigers.

A sticking point in negotiations was the term of Roberts’ extension, but the Titans will ratify a three-year deal, keeping the 22-year-old at the club until the end of 2018.

The retention of excitement machine Roberts is the feel-good story the club craved after being rocked by Cherry-Evans’ decision on Wednesday to renege on his $4m Titans deal.

Sacked by Penrith and Souths for disciplinary reasons, Roberts has found a home at the Titans. The electrifying three-quarter has scored 10 tries in 11 games this season and enhanced his claims for the biggest payday of his career with a sizzling display against the Rabbitohs last week.

Roberts recently outlined plans to finish his career on the Gold Coast, paying tribute to the mentoring ability of Titans coach Neil Henry.

“I’m very happy and it’s only getting better,” he said. “Hopefully we can sort out this deal soon, I wouldn’t mind being a Titan for life from now on.

“I love being coached by Neil Henry, he’s helped me a lot and helped me improve my defence and everything around my game and help me develop more as a man and a person from a boy.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227383572770

GREAT NEWS. Absolute talent. I hope he's here forever.

Is that 1 million over three years?!! Absolute bargain.

Great news for the club.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Seemed to drag on but very relieved it's done.

Great news and got him at a bargain price

between him and Elgey, thats two really good kids that are going to bring attack for many years.

throw in moseley, Ryanh James, Burr, and we have a young nucleus that is pretty awesome to build around.

we still need a centre, half and a big bopper or two, but we have a bit of spare cash lying around now.

- - - Updated - - -

between him and Elgey, thats two really good kids that are going to bring attack for many years.

throw in moseley, Ryan James, Burr, and we have a young nucleus that is pretty awesome to build around.

we still need a centre, half and a big bopper or two, but we have a bit of spare cash lying around now. would love to make Paul Carter a serious offer.

If DCE didn't reneg what would we have paid? Imo he's worth every cent of what he's just signed. Is it a 3 year extension.. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by decentrix View Post
    If DCE didn't reneg what would we have paid? Imo he's worth every cent of what he's just signed. Is it a 3 year extension.. Does anyone know?
    Says 3 years in the article. About $350k per year is about his value in my opinion for now, with a chance to earn bigger $$ if he improves and keeps on the straight and narrow.
    I agree with DB about Carter. There were rumours that he was off to Souths but that seems to have gone quiet.

Great news, I really think his best is yet to come. (he is pretty bloody good already).

Good positive move in retaining Roberts. Exactly the news the fans needed after the nonsense that finally come to an end yesterday.

Junior

About time we got this done. Deal is for 3 years at 350k per season. We were able to raise our offer a little since the guy who shall remain nameless did what he did.

This makes me feel a lot better.

At the end of the day, having play makers is only worth the finish guys like Roberts can put on the end of it.