Plunge on Eagles
www.manlydaily.com.au
ADAM LUCIUS
08mar06
MANLY'S price to win this year's NRL grand final dropped dramatically last night as betting agencies around the country reported enormous interest in the new-look Sea Eagles.

As the Manly team to meet Canberra at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night was unveiled, leading betting institutions confirmed the peninsula club was the big mover in the premiership market.

Manly have come in from $21 to $13 with SportsTab, Centrebet and leading book maker Colin Tidy.

Centrebet's Gerard Daffy said last night: ``I would have to say Manly has been the best backed side.

``We took one bet of $2500 at $21 and another of $5000 at $16. Even at $13 we're still getting a few bites.

``I think people look at Manly and see they've bought well and they were fairly competitive last year, so they should go well this year.

``They're also a well-balanced side in that they are not dependent on one player.

``There is also an evenness about the competition ... just about anyone is capable of winning it.''

Told of the betting plunge, Michael Monaghan, who held off a challenge from rookie Travis Burns to win the No 6 jersey for the season opener, joked: ``That's good, I've got a thousand dollars on us.

``I suppose the punters have had a look at our trial form and the players we've brought to the club and thought we were worth backing.

``But what's happening in the betting doesn't have much bearing on things.

``We've still got to go out there and do the job.''

Manly coach Des Hasler pulled few surprises in naming his first side of 2006, opting for Paul Stephenson ahead of Michael Roberston on the wing and handing Burns a bench spot.

Burns and Monaghan will share the five-eighth duties, with the latter to spend time at hooker.

Burns said: ``I've been waiting for this opportunity and now it's up to me to make the most of it."

Hasler added: ``He's done well in the off-season and deserves his chance.

``We're pretty happy with the side we'll put out there but we're not taking anything for granted with Canberra. They present a big challenge for us.''

The Raiders finished second last in 2005 and aren't expected to come anywhere near the top eight this season.

They travel to Brookvale Oval without four first-choice players - Michael Weyman, Dane Tilse, Alan Rothery and Kris Kahler - but coach Matthew Elliott insists they will be competitive.

``We've prepared all pre-season without them there. We've got plenty of fit blokes and they're all looking forward to the first round,'' Elliott said.