Titans winger Anthony Don on course for Gold Coast try-scoring record
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

ANTHONY Don’s charge towards a likely club tryscoring record means little in the Gold Coast winger’s constant desire to prove himself at the NRL level.

Don is ranked second in the NRL for most tries scored, level with teammate James Roberts with 10 tries each in a season where the Titans have somehow discovered an attacking spark missing for some time.

To put the Titans attack into perspective, Don was the Gold Coast’s leading tryscorer last season with nine tries.

He and Roberts have now both exceeded that tally in 2015 and the season has only just reached the halfway point.

David Mead’s 2011 club record 16 tries in a season is under serious threat.

But while the classy finishers may joke with each other about the tally behind closed doors, Don wants to be judged on his defence, lack of errors on workrate more than his four-pointers.

“Tries are always just bonuses. You can’t really rate your performance on how many tries you get, you can play a bad game and still manage to get a couple of tries or you can play a really good game and not get any tries,” Don said.

“It’s nice to get them but it’s not the be all and end all.

“We always give each other a bit of stick about who has scored the most and what side is better.

“Generally the things I look for in my game are no tries on our edge of the field. Working with my centre, halfback and second rower and not letting any tries down our edge and an error free game and some good carries and quick play the balls. They’re the main things.

“I’ve had a few good games then a few not so good ones. I’m just trying to improve each week and try to hold down my spot on the wing in first grade.”

Don bagged a double in the Titans 22-16 loss to South Sydney on Saturday afternoon, switching from his usual left flank to play on the right in the absence of Mead.

It allowed Don to play outside the electrifying work of Roberts who in the first half either set up or scored with two stunning plays that made Titans fans sit up and wish he got more of the ball.

But, as Don explained, it’s not a simple matter of passing to Roberts and letting the 22-year-old do his thing.

“You can’t just pass him the ball anytime and expect him to do something,” Don said.

“It’s getting him the ball at the right time. Aidan Sezer did a really good job, they sucked in some numbers and gave him the pill at the right time.

“It’s not just about dumping the ball to him and expecting him to do something which nine times out of 10 won’t work.

“It’s about doing it the right time and playing an error-free game.”