Default New Cowboys Stadium

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has told his government to investigate options for funding a new football stadium in Townsville’s CBD.

Meanwhile, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has warned that plans for the stadium would have to be scaled back if the Federal Government failed to contribute towards the expected $200 million cost.

In a letter to Ms Palaszczuk on April 30, Mr Abbott said he would refer her request to Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss “to investigate potential options for Commonwealth support”.

“I recognise the importance this project would play in reviving the region through employment generation and improved ability to deliver major events,” Mr Abbott said.

“The local Liberal National Party Federal Member, Mr Ewen Jones MP, has been a strong advocate for new employment and tourism opportunities in the region.”

Mr Abbott requested more details on the contributions of Townsville City Council and North Queensland Cowboys to the project.

He also asked for assurances regarding Ms Palaszczuk’s plans to use dividends from the Port of Townsville to fund the State’s $100 million contribution towards the project.

“In the interim, I encourage you and the Townsville City Council to take advantage of the Commonwealth Government’s National Stronger Regions Fund,” Mr Abbott said. Ms Palaszczuk yesterday warned the final design of the stadium might need to be pared back without Commonwealth support.

“Our $100 million is on the table and it remains on the table,” she said.

“What we need is for the Federal Government to come on board.

“I wouldn’t like to see a scaled-back version but if that’s what we have to do, that’s what we’ll do. We’ll talk to the council as well but for it to be the vision that the council and the Cowboys want, it will need to be full scale for the full amount.”

Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill said the Prime Minister’s comments were positive and there shouldn’t be any talk about a scaled-back version.

Cr Hill said she favoured building the stadium with adjoining convention centre for about $300 million.

“We’ve come a long way from not having any funding support to having $100 million on the table to the Federal Government saying they are now looking at funding options. I look forward to having further discussions with the Prime Minister on Sunday,” she said.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain said the NRL had also been lobbying hard for the Commonwealth to come to the table.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I am really hoping the Cowboys can get that new stadium. Deserving club and fanbase and it would be fantastic for Townsville.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Just hope the Federal Government stipulate that Stadiums Queensland have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Just hope the Federal Government stipulate that Stadiums Queensland have absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Yea... we certainly are suffering ourselves with no resolution yet.

I hadn't seen this thread and started reading from the top and thought ScoMo must have been kicked out last night and Abbott was back in power.

Hope it survived the floods.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    I hadn't seen this thread and started reading from the top and thought ScoMo must have been kicked out last night and Abbott was back in power.
    You could find threads on here about Prime Minister John Howard.

Yes me too! I saw some photos of it flooded, which isn't unusual for where stadiums are usually built. We all remember Lang Park being flooded in 2011.