Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    We all saw Douglas at the toss for the extra time tonight right?
    Captain? hahaha
    I had my ears on listening to the refs and it was slightly embarrassing... The refs had a giggle at Douglas's expense when he walked away.

I think it will be a definate no for Dougy to be Captain next season after last nights efforts & maybe if DCE isn't the sole captain & we look at co captains I wouldn't mind given James a shot his game is improving 2nd to none this season & I'm sure a "C" or "VC" next to his name will help him even further
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    No mate, I don't but I can't see how the club can appoint a new recruit as sole captain although DCE could make and argument and Douglas stands out as a member of the older guard.
    Well I guess when our culture stocks and culture are at a low watermark, it is a lot easier to bring someone else in. Especially someone who is a Kangaroo, Maroon and Premiership winner.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

You're probably right but it shows how poor we really are when the best we can roll out is 'poopy draws'.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Poopy draws? That's rather an understatement. If it wasn't for Sezer leaving, I'd pick him. As for Dougy - no.
    Aiming for the title farthest away fan

Greg Bird’s Gold Coast Titans captaincy hinges on upcoming court case
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/

GREG Bird’s dreams of regaining the Gold Coast captaincy hinge on the outcome of his court case.

Bird has deputised as a stand-in skipper four times this season while regular captain Nate Myles has been sidelined.

The 31-year-old was strip*ped of the co-captaincy he shared with Myles for two seasons in December after being caught urinating in public.

Coach Neil Henry experimented with Ryan James and Luke Douglas in place of Myles but reverted to Bird in recent weeks.

Bird has made clear his *desire to captain the Titans next season when Myles heads to Manly and the duty clearly brings out the best in the *Origin star on the field.

But his chances depend on whether he can clear his name after being charged with *cocaine offences in February.

Bird and his four Titans teammates — Beau Falloon, David Taylor, Jamie Dowling and Kalifa Faifai Loa — will have their cases mentioned on October 7.

Henry said the outcome would prove pivotal to Bird’s chances of leading the team.

“The key to Greg will be the off-field court case,” Henry told Fox Sports.

Titans coach Neil Henry is looking forward to clearing his club’s decks.
    “We need a resolution and so do all the players involved for their own careers. Hopefully we get a resolution this year.

“If we can do that and it goes the way we hope it does and there are no charges, then certainly he comes into the mix.

“The board have made a clear stance on it. Until there’s a resolution to the whole thing then that won’t be a possibility.

“I can see their point of view. It doesn’t diminish me using him as an on-field leader.”

A five-person disciplinary committee decided to strip Bird of the duty in December and the club’s board will ultimately decide whether he is fit to lead the team again.

Titans chairwoman Rebecca Frizelle said the issue wouldn’t be discussed until the court case had been resolved.

“The board made its position very clear when it handed down its penalty to Greg following the Byron Bay incident,” she said. “Given the matters still pending before the courts, the board’s decision remains unchanged.”

The Titans are suffering a void in leadership personnel as Henry rebuilds his team.

Bird suffered what was thought to be a season-ending quad injury against Canberra last Sunday and will miss this weekend’s game against *St George Illawarra.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I beleive the captain needs to be on the field for the 80 minutes & I think the maturity that LG has shown this season says to me he has what is needed to be our captain for many years to come
    #itaintweaktospeak

I believe bird should be captain for the next couple of years while elgey gains more experience. I dont know if elgey would be ready for the captaincy now but definitely in the future he is the guy wee need to build our team around

Greg Bird cleared of drug charges, eyes Gold Coast Titans captaincy
    TRAVIS MEYN | The Courier-Mail

GREG Bird says he would be “honoured” to captain the Gold Coast Titans again after the NSW Origin enforcer had cocaine charges thrown out of court.

Bird joined former Titans teammates Beau Falloon, Ashley Harrison and Kalifa Faifai Loa in having their charges dismissed in Southport Magistrates Court, nearly eight months after the scandal emerged.

The 31-year-old underwent surgery on his wrists this week but has wasted no time in setting his sights on regaining the leadership of the club that resurrected his career in 2010.

Bird co-captained the Titans alongside Nate Myles in 2013-14 before having the duty stripped when he was caught urinating in public in December last year.

He only managed a handful of games this year due to injury and suspension but the 212-game NRL veteran is determined to replace the Manly-bound Myles as captain.

“Captaincy is not something you can ever expect to be simply given,” Bird told The Courier-Mail.

“It’s something you must earn.

“I love the club and if those in control deem I am the best person again to lead the players on the field then I would be honoured to do so.”

Bird has never shied away from his desire to be captain and the responsibility clearly brings out the best of the tough forward given he was crowned the club’s player of the year in 2013, his first season in charge.

Coach Neil Henry is a fan of Bird’s on-field tenacity and competitiveness while the playing group has noticed a positive shift in his training, off-field standards and approach to the game this year.

Rookie halfback Kane Elgey said Bird’s teammates viewed him as a leader.

“We’ve always seen him as our natural leader anyway, regardless of whether he’s our captain,” Elgey said.

Henry experimented with Ryan James and Luke Douglas as captains throughout the season and the duo was even used on club promotional material.

But his preference to use Bird in the back end of the year while Myles was injured showed just how highly the coach rates him as a leader.

Bird’s biggest challenge will be convincing the club’s board he is the right man to lead it into a new era and CEO Graham Annesley said captaincy candidates hadn’t been discussed.

“That’s a matter that hasn’t even been considered,” he said.

“The players are on leave and it doesn’t need to be addressed until early in the new year. It’s far too early to speculate on what Neil’s views about captaincy might be.”

The Titans begin pre-season training on November 2 and Henry is unlikely to make an appointment until well into the preparation.

Wouldn't get my vote if he was the last man standing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Same, I'd give captain and vice captain to the men out of Elgey Dougie Mead
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

He gets my vote. I can't think of anyone else in the team that has the capability to be captain. He plays better football when he is given the role. Only thing that needs to be sorted out is Elgey taking control of calling plays so that Bird doesn't pull a "Gallen" and stifle the play when we try and go wide.

He had his chance and pissed it up against the gutter, literally, so no thanks to Bird. He has had more chances than anybody at this club to sort his ****e out but has proven time and again that he is not smart enough to realise his opportunities.
    His on field leadership is not the best either. He flat out abuses referees and then can't understand why we lose the penalty count, he is a play killing ball hog and over calls plays that stifle those around him.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Same, I'd give captain and vice captain to the men out of Elgey Dougie Mead
    Those are definitely good choices for Vice Captains, but depending how Friendy comes through pre-season training, I'd be inclined to throw his name into the ring for the Captaincy at this stage.

As for Birdy, it'd be best if he stopped dreaming..

Co Caprains may be the way to go again & I'm not referring to Bird/Myles era more like when Prince & Bails were running the show

Douglas/LG
    Douglas/Mead

Friend/LG
    Friend/Mead

James/LG
    James/Mead

Every Match we will not have one of the forwards (apart from maybe Friendy) on the park throughout the 80min whereas baring injury the backs will be there for the full 80.
    #itaintweaktospeak