Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior

Default Bird misses 8 weeks

Titans back-rower Greg Bird was tonight unsuccessful in having his dangerous throw charge downgraded.

This means he will miss eight NRL matches, not returning until the round 19 clash with Newcastle Knights. It also puts Bird out for the entire State of Origin series.

Bird was charged with a grade two dangerous throw from his tackle in last Sunday's Test match on Kiwi winger Jason Nightingale.

Bird appeared before the NRL judicary panel this evening with Jim Hall as his legal representative and argued that the tackle should have been downgraded to a grade one. However the panel upheld the original charge.

Head coach Neil Henry, who accompanied Bird to Sydney for the hearing, said:

“We are obviously very disappointed at the outcome, we thought we mounted a strong case for a downgrade from a grade 2 to grade 1, and had evidence to prove that but unfortunately that wasn’t the case with the judiciary.

"As a club we are very disappointed to lose the services of Greg for an extended period of time now but we accept we had a fair hearing in there.”

Time to get used to footy life without Bird.. Who wants the jersey, I'm willing to back Burr
    #itaintweaktospeak

Yeah I think if we keep developing Burr or Robinson they could both do a great job.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Tell Kevin Gordon he's playing lock until he signs with the Cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Tell Kevin Gordon he's playing lock until he signs with the Cowboys.

Why he's doing a great job for Burliegh & he's their highest paid player
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Time to get used to footy life without Bird.. Who wants the jersey, I'm willing to back Burr
    Ridge is close to being back as well so he is another option but until he returns Burr definitely gets the nod for me. Is getting better as the weeks go on.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, I am having trouble understanding how Birdy got 8 weeks but Josh Reynolds, who is a proven scumbag, only gets 1 for his third tripping charge. Surely his carry over points must be loaded up as well especially with speartackles thrown on top of the trips?
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Ridge is close to being back as well so he is another option but until he returns Burr definitely gets the nod for me. Is getting better as the weeks go on.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, I am having trouble understanding how Birdy got 8 weeks but Josh Reynolds, who is a proven scumbag, only gets 1 for his third tripping charge. Surely his carry over points must be loaded up as well especially with speartackles thrown on top of the trips?
    I might be wrong mate but I think the loadings are for similar offences. For example you don't get loadings for trips then added to dangerous throws. Bird was in more trouble as he had three similar offences in the last year or so. You are considered dumb if you keep going to the judiciary for the same offence and fair enough in my opinion. Carry over points do get added but they are different to loadings.
    Clear as mud!

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I might be wrong mate but I think the loadings are for similar offences. For example you don't get loadings for trips then added to dangerous throws. Bird was in more trouble as he had three similar offences in the last year or so. You are considered dumb if you keep going to the judiciary for the same offence and fair enough in my opinion. Carry over points do get added but they are different to loadings.
    Clear as mud!
    So how many loading points do you get for a trip? Reynolds has done it twice this year and another time last year as well. I'm not saying he should have been sitting on the sideline for weeks on end but surely he deserves more than 1?
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    So how many loading points do you get for a trip? Reynolds has done it twice this year and another time last year as well. I'm not saying he should have been sitting on the sideline for weeks on end but surely he deserves more than 1?
    Here you are - hope this helps:

Prior similar offences

If the player has been convicted of the same or similar offence in the two-year period immediately preceding the incident, the player is liable to an increase equivalent to 50 per cent of the base penalty for each previous offence. The exception to this rule is Grade 1 offences where the player will only carry the loading for a 12-month period.

Prior non-similar offences

Further, if the player has been previously convicted of an offence other than the same offence in the two-year period immediately preceding the incident, the player is liable to an increase equivalent to 20 per cent of the base penalty for each previous offence. For the offence of a Careless High Tackle Grade 1, players only carry this loading for a 12-month period.

7. Carry-over points

Note when reading the charge sheet, the carry-over points are always added to the penalty points to determine the penalty to be served. i.e. John White's early plea result would be 286 + 62 = 348. A player's carryover points will be progressively reduced by five points for each match he competes in without further charge.

8. Send Off

In the event a player is sent from the field for misconduct, the player will receive a discount from any resulting charge for that incident. The player will have one point deducted from the charge for each whole minute of the match he misses due to the send-off.

Offence

Demerit points

Grade 1

Grade 2

Grade 3

Grade 4

Grade 5

Tripping 75 175 275 375 475
    Kicking 200 300 400 500 600
    Striking 125 225 325 425 525
    Intentional High Tackle 550 650 750 850 950
    Reckless High Tackle 300 350 400 450 500
    Careless High Tackle 75 125 175 225 275
    Dropping Knees 200 300 400 500 600
    Dangerous Throw 125 325 525 725 925
    Law Breaking 75 100 125 150 175
    Offensive Language 75 100 125 150 175
    Disputing Decision 75 125 175 225 275
    Re-entering Play 75 125 175 225 275
    Contrary Conduct 125 225 325 4 25 525
    Obstructing 75 125 175 225 275
    Detrimental Conduct 125 225 325 425 525
    Dangerous Contact - Head 100 250 400 550 700
    Dangerous Contact - Other 100 250 400 550 700
    Shoulder Charge 200 350 500 650 800

EDIT: Now in relation to Reynolds he was charged with a Grade 1 Tripping which is 75 points. He had 1 x similar charge (plus 50%) plus 4 x non similar charge (plus 20%) in the last two years. So add 70% to 75 plus he had 32 carry overs and he is still under the 200 points which means only one week.

Early guilty pleas also result in a 25% reduction in points. Bird's charge totalled 812 points which would have been reduced to 609 if he pleaded guilty.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 06-05-15 at 09:11 PM.

Most Games Suspended 1998-2015

Player Games

John Hopoate 45
    Craig Smith 34
    Luke O'Donnell 29
    Greg Bird 29
    Danny Williams 28
    Jason Stevens 27
    Adrian Morley 26
    Fuifui Moimoi 25
    Travis Burns 25
    Ruben Wiki 23
    Michael Crocker 22
    Ben Ross 20
    Paul Gallen 20
    Steve Matai 20

Isn't Bird and everyone else's court case coming up soon anyway?

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Most Games Suspended 1998-2015

Player Games
    Greg Bird 29
    Paul Gallen 20
    Steve Matai 20
    Wow! Bird has been suspended more than Gallen and Matai?! Those two thugs have done everything short of shiv other players on the field. This really opens my eyes about Bird (and to how one-eyed I've been when it comes to my own team, if I'm being honest). I hope Burr really starts hitting his straps during the next eight weeks.

I didn't realise that either. Wow, more than a season sitting on the sideline!

I assume that includes this 8 weeks? So it was 21 before yesterday??
    Last edited by shamus; 07-05-15 at 06:58 AM.

29 weeks is ok LOL

Just remebered when my old man was playing he got suspended for 32 weeks in one hit.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I didn't realise that either. Wow, more than a season sitting on the sideline!

I assume that includes this 8 weeks? So it was 21 before yesterday??
    Yes mate. The 29 includes the 8 weeks he is about to start.