Default What name should we call future Ipswich NRL team?

http://www.qt.com.au/news/interest-i...s-off/2618969/

What name should we call future Ipswich NRL team?

AN $8.5 million commitment from Ipswich City Council towards the Western Corridor NRL bid and a new training base at Springfield has attracted interest from QT readers and suggestions for a team name.

When QT Facebook users were asked what they would call the potential NRL team, many readers believed connecting the team to the city's defence force links was the way to go.

Ashley Clarke suggested the Ipswich Hornets for a team name.

"It symbolises the FA18 aircraft so prominent in the skies around Ipswich, and our Amberley Air Base heritage."

Lliam Parslow agreed with the theme.

"The city prides itself on its defence force links.

"So maybe, Western Hornets, Western Aviators or Western Defenders."

Facebook user Taf Martin posted: "Great idea... Will further enhance the area.

"As for a name, given the links to the air force, how about Ipswich/Western Flyers."

Hailed as a historic day for rugby league, there was also positive feedback from Facebook users about the impact the NRL development would have in Ipswich.

Travis Reardon commented: "Think of the money this would inject into the local economy.

"Think of the jobs it would create.

"It would give the youth a place to go and keep out of trouble.

"And local talent an opportunity to play in the NRL. It would give the locals a team to be proud of.

"I can only see positives to come from having a team."

The funding for the superior playing venue is proposed to be injected from the State and Federal governments with the support of council.

However, some are not convinced this is the best use of $8.5 million and are and doubtful of the placement in Springfield being beneficial to Ipswich.

Kay Mcallan showed her disapproval, posting: "I think that kind of money could be spent on better things for the city and community."

Ross Turner commented: "If they are based at Springfield, we might as well call it Brisbane West."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I think it would be good to have a team some what based in Ipswich but it can't just be called Ipswich.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I love the name "Ipswich Jets". To me it is the perfect name. Love the current Jerseys as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IpswichTitans View Post
    I love the name "Ipswich Jets". To me it is the perfect name. Love the current Jerseys as well.
    Jets is a good name. Much better than Brisbane Bombers.

An idiot could suggest Ipswich United and although the Jets has a nice ring to it, why not Two Head City … blame Fatty not me
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Cal it nothing. We need a Team over west i think. Another team up her it isnt big enough for another QLD team. Just My opinion
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

I'd rather see the Central Queensland bid get up. Two teams in the SEQ is enough for now, 'n there's a big void between NQ 'n SEQ that needs to be catered for.

I think it is essential that another team close to Brisbane should be in. I like the Jets name but I think the team needs to attract people beyond Ipswich therefore I wouldn't be as specific as to have Ipswich in the name. Obviously the Western Corridor Jets doesn't do it but someone will come up with something. Just don't think that there would be enough corp and crowd support around Rocky yet - but TF92 is better placed to comment as he is from there.
    Perth must be the other side but I really wonder whether there are enough quality players around for two more teams. You can see now when the Origin players miss games the standard drops badly so I wonder if the overall depth is there.

The Rocky bid wouldn't be that much different than what the Cowboys have in Townsville. The numbers are there, just that they go beyond the Cities Limits. the CQ bid could work quite well (imo) if they played their home games between Rocky, Bundy, Mackay and possibly Gladstone.

I just don't see how a third franchise in the SEQ could work, especially with the stranglehold the Donkeys have in the area 'n abroad. Break that monopoly 'n the SEQ might get away with having a third team that might prosper.

I'm with Titanic but I'm not blaming Fatty
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I think it is essential that another team close to Brisbane should be in. I like the Jets name but I think the team needs to attract people beyond Ipswich therefore I wouldn't be as specific as to have Ipswich in the name. Obviously the Western Corridor Jets doesn't do it but someone will come up with something. Just don't think that there would be enough corp and crowd support around Rocky yet - but TF92 is better placed to comment as he is from there.
    Perth must be the other side but I really wonder whether there are enough quality players around for two more teams. You can see now when the Origin players miss games the standard drops badly so I wonder if the overall depth is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    The Rocky bid wouldn't be that much different than what the Cowboys have in Townsville. The numbers are there, just that they go beyond the Cities Limits. the CQ bid could work quite well (imo) if they played their home games between Rocky, Bundy, Mackay and possibly Gladstone.

I just don't see how a third franchise in the SEQ could work, especially with the stranglehold the Donkeys have in the area 'n abroad. Break that monopoly 'n the SEQ might get away with having a third team that might prosper.
    There is definitely the fan base for a team based in Rockhampton with a combined member support base for the bid of 35,000. I believe at least half of those will sign on as members if a team does come here. As for corporate support, JM Kelly is the main sponsor for the bid team and they are a billion dollar building company. There is a lot of big and small businesses including my new business in rocky that support the bid. So there is definitely the support there including JM Kelly building a brand new 30,000 seat stadium with a 4000 space carpark and they are upgrading the leagues club that is attached to the bid.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    There is definitely the fan base for a team based in Rockhampton with a combined member support base for the bid of 35,000. I believe at least half of those will sign on as members if a team does come here. As for corporate support, JM Kelly is the main sponsor for the bid team and they are a billion dollar building company. There is a lot of big and small businesses including my new business in rocky that support the bid. So there is definitely the support there including JM Kelly building a brand new 30,000 seat stadium with a 4000 space carpark and they are upgrading the leagues club that is attached to the bid.
    Thanks TF92, that gives me a much better idea of the support. I do think however it will come down to potential tv audiences as the tv networks bidding will have a fair opinion where the best audience will be. That seems to be clearly a second Brisbane/SE Qld team, especially when that team plays the Broncs twice a year. I have no doubt (but really don't care) that a second Brisbane/SE Qld team will be the next Qld team in, probably along with Perth which maximises tv slots to the Eastern States.

NRL, A-League prepare dual expansion bid based in Ipswich
    http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/

A DUAL NRL and A-League expansion bid is being planned for Ipswich with FFA chief David Gallop stating the city deserves a 30,000 seat stadium.

The Sunday Mail can reveal there are advanced plans to create a share use training facility and stadium in the Ipswich region to house the proposed western corridor NRL and A-League expansion team.

Ipswich City Council has secured more than eight million dollars in grants to establish a training facility in Springfield that could house both codes in a dual-share agreement.

The Queensland government has also selected a site in nearby Ripley as a potential base for a rectangular stadium.

The training facility will be on the same land the Brisbane Lions abandoned 12 months ago when they baulked at moving west into the fastest growing region in Australia.

The Lions’ loss is the NRL and A-League’s gain.

Former NRL chief and current FFA boss Gallop told The Sunday Mail the Ipswich region was an ideal expansion base for the A-League and merging with an NRL club would help get it over the line.

Gallop said if Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale and the state government could help fund a stadium it would become an automatic site for an A-League club.

“There is no doubt the corridor from Brisbane to Ipswich is fertile ground,” Gallop said.

“Expansion isn’t on our immediate agenda but we are interested in the huge potential and football family that can be tapped into in that area.

“A 30-35,000 seat stadium at Ipswich would make the argument difficult to knock back.

“The mayor is an old acquaintance of mine and a great advocate for Ipswich and the potential of the area to support a team in a national sporting competition.”

A combined NRL and A-League bid will dramatically cut costs on the projects.

Gallop cautioned that he remained unsure when the A-League would expand and had not spoken to NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson.

Richardson is on the record as believing in expansion, stating another team in south east Queensland is a must in his eyes.

Richardson will present a report on the future of the game late this year that will decide if the NRL expands and where to.

The western corridor NRL bid counts Logan, Ipswich and west to Toowoomba as its home region.

Bid chief Steven Johnson, who is also behind the Hawaii NRL exhibition game played later this year, said he would love to work alongside the A-League.

“The A-League isn’t a player competitor for league as the codes have different core skills and body shapes and a cross over fan base would help both new clubs,” he said.

“A mutual training base just makes good sense on every level, costs are restricted, resources and knowledge can be shared.

“We worked hard with the Council and the Springfield Land Corporation to keep this important piece of green space and are happy to share its use”

Johnson said while the 30,000 seat stadium was being built in Ripley, the A-League side could actually play at the Springfield training facility where a boutique stadium can be built.

“Our side would play its actual NRL matches at Suncorp Stadium so the Springfield site could host a 10,000 crowd which would be an ideal home base for Ipswich’s A–League side in the early years with long term both sides playing out of the Ripley Stadium,” he said.

During his time as NRL chief, Gallop toured Ipswich with Mayor Pisasale and considered it a region the NRL had to expand to.

League is the dominant sport throughout the western corridor but football is easily the second most popular sport with union a distant third.

A stadium in Ipswich would need significant government and private funding.

Ipswich Mayor Pisasale said he was aware of A-League interest in the city and would do all he could to make the expansion bid become reality.

“The Lions have made a tactical error. They didn’t realise the growth of this city,” Pisasale said.

“The first team that puts its footprint in Ipswich will be very strong.

“I know A-League are looking closely at us.

“When David Gallop was in the NRL he said you have to go to the western corridor because that’s where the fish are biting.”