Default King Wally Lewis anoints Elgey and Cherry-Evans as future Origin halves

King Wally Lewis anoints Elgey and Cherry-Evans as future Origin halves

TOM BOSWELL TOM.BOSWELL@NEWS.COM.AU GOLD COAST BULLETIN APRIL 30, 2015 12:00AM

QUEENSLAND Origin great Wally Lewis says the Maroons may have unearthed their next long-term halves pairing in the form of Kane Elgey and Daly Cherry-Evans.

Elgey’s recommitment to the Gold Coast Titans has him on course to create a lethal partnership with inbound Test star Daly Cherry-Evans next year and Lewis said the duo could form the Maroons’ playmaking roles in the future.

“They could be and there is no doubt that it could happen,” Lewis said.

“I wouldn’t expect it to happen right away and could still be a little way down the road but the bonus for them is they have time to be able to adjust to playing alongside each other at club level.

“In a couple or a few years time I have no doubt they will be very promising and it will be very tough for anyone to keep them out of a side.”

The rugby league immortal, who played 34 Tests for Australia and 38 games for Queensland, said Elgey showed all the qualities of a *future Maroon.

“There is one thing you can’t buy in football and that is class and he seems to have a bit of confidence even though he was thrown to the wolves early,” Lewis said.

“He hasn’t had any difficulties in adjusting to the step up and that’s what quality footballers do.”

“Strangely enough a lot of quality players that do step up in class find it easier to play alongside players with a similar standard to themselves.”

Elgey has emerged as the booming NRL rookie of the season with the Titans forced to fend off offers from rival clubs including Manly in order to re-sign the 21-year-old.

Picking club partnerships for state and country has proven hugely successful with the Queensland Maroons building a dynasty around Melbourne Storm trio Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater.

NSW won their first State of Origin series in nine seasons with Canterbury Bulldogs halves Trent Hodkinson and Josh Reynolds last year.

Lewis said the partnership of Elgey and the 26-year-old Cherry-Evans at the Titans would only strengthen any *potential pairing at state level.

King Wally earmarked Elgey as a player who would benefit greatly from inclusion in Queensland’s Emerging Maroons squad this year.

“It has certainly worked before and the impressive thing about it is that it makes things a lot more comfortable for the players who get plenty of confidence out of it,” Lewis said.

“I’d be surprised if his name wasn’t included because they like to be able to excite the champions of tomorrow through these things,” Lewis said.

“Quite often you will see it happen with these exciting prospects.”

Lewis said he was impressed with Elgey’s performances since his booming arrival in the NRL this year.

“He has confidence and is in the right place at the right time,” Lewis said.

“His timing and execution is very good and when he is working with Neil Henry that is a massive bonus.

“Neil is very good at being able to develop natural young talent and with the two of them working together it promises great things.”

Queensland coach Mal Meninga agreed the combination of Elgey and Cherry-Evans could well eventuate on the field but said the pair would face tough opposition from the likes of fellow Queensland halves Anthony Milford, Ben Hunt, Michael Morgan and Chris Sandow.

“It could well be the case we see them but we have some *really good depth in the halves which is an added bonus for us,” Meninga said.

“Kane has already been identified as a potential representative player of the future and let’s hope he keeps developing.”

Former NSW and Test halfback Peter Sterling said while it was too early for Elgey to make fans sweat south of the border he was impressed by what the young playmaker could do.

“Kane comes through with some pedigree about him,” Sterling said.

“I have been impressed by what he has been able to produce in first grade.

“I don’t think the game is producing enough young halves so he is certainly bucking the trend.

“Manly actually asked And*rew Johns to call him and have a chat about what he could do at the club to entice him.

“It says volumes about a player who can have that discussion and put the pressure to the side and stay with his club.”

The defection of five-eighth Aiden Sezer to Canberra next year has opened the door for the Titans to pair the duo and former Australian and Queensland captain Darren Lockyer said Cherry-Evans’ presence would only enhance the young playmaker’s game.

“Daly has won a grand final and is a Clive Churchill Medal winner so he is a proven star and Kane obviously has a lot of potential,” Lockyer said.

“I think people are excited about what Kane can bring.

“In the modern game it is *irrelevant if you have the number six or seven because you’re playing the same role just on either side of the ruck.

“Kane is early in his career and seems to be getting more confidence each week.”

Lockyer said the 2014 Holden Cup under-20 player of the year was poised to follow in the footsteps of previous award winners, including Ben Hunt and Tariq Sims, and make a mark in the NRL.

“If you look at the list of names who have won it most of those players have gone on to establish themselves in first grade,” he said.

Lockyer warned Elgey should be given the chance to develop without being put under the microscope.

“I’m conscious about putting too much pressure on young kids and don’t want to make any bold predictions,” he said. “There are a lot of things to like about him. I wish him all the best.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1227327503177

The article above said "competition from Chris Sandow".

Now's the time to let his footy do the talking.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'm going to let myself get carried away and say, I can see it!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

yeah the only guy who would challenge them once Cronk and Jt retire will be Ben hunt i imagine. until the next young pup like Ash Taylor comes along anyway.

Milford is obviously a freak, but im not sure he's suited as an origin half just yet.

Banned

This is no chance of happening and is a ridiculous statement. Elgey has barely played 5 NRL games. What a stitch up

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
    This is no chance of happening and is a ridiculous statement. Elgey has barely played 5 NRL games. What a stitch up
    I welcomed Dannyboy to the forum in another thread. Now I realise he's just a dirty Canberra troll....no offence meant Irish!
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Missed the article about Blake Austin and Sam Williams being considered for....well, 1st grade. Anyway, make sure you get a certified scaffolder to install your roof guard before your next cruiser party.

I rate Milford as a fb but not in his current guise.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.