Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Titans' Ioane stars for Burleigh Bears

Sun 19 Apr, 2015, 9:00pm
    By Matt Harris, Queensland Correspondent, NRL.com

Burleigh prop Mark Ioane may find it difficult squeezing his way into an in-form Gold Coast Titans side at the moment but based on his performance in Burleigh's 28-18 win over Ipswich he won't be far from coach Neil Henry's thoughts.

The 24-year-old scored one try and set up another – terrorising Origin veteran Chris Walker with a series of barnstorming runs – during a devastating spell for the Bears midway through the second half of their Round 7 Intrust Super Cup clash at North Ipswich Reserve.

Ioane has 20 NRL appearances under his belt and last featured for the Titans in their 40-0 hiding at the hands of the Panthers in Round 2.

However, based on Sunday's outing against the Jets the Auckland-born enforcer could be trading Burleigh's Pizzey Park for Cbus Super Stadium in the coming weeks.

Former Penrith centre and current Titans squad member Brad Tighe also crossed the try-line for the Bears, who moved to sixth on the ladder on eight competition points with the Jets fourth on 10 points.

Trailing 16-6 at half-time, the Bears crossed seven minutes into the second stanza through young centre Connor Broadhurst before Marmin Barba eased the pressure on the Jets with a penalty goal to take the score to 18-10 after 54 minutes.

The Jets began to run out of fuel at this stage of the contest – the result of making 50 more tackles than their opponents – and soon conceded their third try when Ioane bullocked his way over Walker and company to have the Bears within two points of the hosts.

Despite some desperate Ipswich defence, sustained pressure on the Jets' line soon took its toll when Tighe crossed out wide and fullback Tyler Chadburn converted to see Burleigh hit the front 22-18 with 11 minutes to go.

Poor ball control cost the Jets inside the final 10 minutes and the Bears eventually sealed the result when Ioane sent skipper Darren Griffiths over under the posts for a 28-18 victory.

The only sour note for the Bears were injuries to halves Ryley Jacks and Todd Seymour with the latter stretchered off seven minutes from full-time with a knee injury.

In other results, Easts Tigers moved to second on the ladder with 50-point thrashing of Central Queensland in coach Jason Hetherington's final match in charge of the Capras.

The former Queensland hooker, who played eight games for the Maroons from 1998 to 2000, is stepping down from his role due to personal reasons with assistant Lionel Harbin set to take the reins in an interim capacity.

Saturday's other results saw the Northern Pride win their second game in a row after trouncing Norths Devils 42-10 with Javid Bowen bagging a hat-trick, while the Wynnum Manly Seagulls defeated Sunshine Coast Falcons 23-10 at Pinklands Sports Complex.

Townsville's 40-10 victory over Redcliffe keeps them outright competition leaders on 12 points with third-placed Mackay Cutters (10 points) unable to capitalise due to their 26-24 loss against the PNG Hunters, who managed to snap their two-game losing streak at home in Kokopo.

Tweed Heads Seagulls handed Souths Logan Magpies their fourth-straight loss with a 24-0 win at Piggabeen Sports in the final match of Round 7.

Burleigh Bears 28 (Brad Tighe, Connor Broadhurst, Mark Ioane, Jason Chan, Darren Griffiths tries; Tyler Chadburn 4 goals) def. Ipswich Jets 18 (Marmin Barba 2, Carlin Anderson tries; Barba 2, Anderson goals) at North Ipswich Reserve. Half-time: Jets 16-6. Man of the Match: Jason Chan.
    Man I hope he makes a bench spot soon.

Is he behind Mortimer? couldn't resist ... but he should be in front of White and probably would be if he wasn't built so close to the ground.

This week we can expect:

1. Hoffman
    2. Mead
    3. Roberts
    4. Zillman
    5. Don
    6. Sezer
    7. Elgey
    8. Douglas
    9. Falloon
    10. Myles
    11. James
    12. Taylor
    13. Bird

14. White
    15. Pettybourne
    16. Burr
    17. Moseley
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Is he behind Mortimer? couldn't resist ... but he should be in front of White and probably would be if he wasn't built so close to the ground.

This week we can expect:

1. Hoffman
    2. Mead
    3. Roberts
    4. Zillman
    5. Don
    6. Sezer
    7. Elgey
    8. Douglas
    9. Falloon
    10. Myles
    11. James
    12. Taylor
    13. Bird

14. White
    15. Pettybourne
    16. Burr
    17. Moseley
    I could live with that team even though I would to see Crampton given a go but why mess with a winning team. Hope Henry thinks the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    I could live with that team even though I would to see Crampton given a go but why mess with a winning team. Hope Henry thinks the same way.
    I'd risk it 'n play Crampton on the left. He'd be our better option to cover Hurrell (imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I'd risk it 'n play Crampton on the left. He'd be our better option to cover Hurrell (imo).
    Crazy. Mt Smart stadium, against that big brute of a team is NEVER the place to debut anybody. We have put up 38 and 32 points at our past two games, wanting changes to that team is simply championing change for the sake of change.

In our current form we can win this. Look at the points the Warriors are leaking!! The Cowboys ran riot on them in the second half and the week before they let the Tigers rack up 20 points and get it close before winning late. We are a huge chance.

Fair enough, about the debut part at Mt Smart. But do youse honestly think Zillman or Hoffman are going to contain Hurrell?

QLD Cup

I want to be positive but not until we start knocking over the top teams will I be able to relax before a game. Warriors at home coming off a loss is a challenge but a win would definitely get me started thinking positively. Let's face it Penrith could easily have blown us off the park early on Saturday. If we start the same way against the Warriors it will be all over before half time.

Junior

Taylor probably out but appealing a Judiciary decision tomorrow.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Titans second-rower Dave Taylor has been charged for his challenge on Penrith rookie Waqa Blake in Gold Coast's Round 7 win. The Queensland representative won't miss any game time if he accepts an early plea for his grade one careless high tackle charge, which attracts a base penalty of 75 points.

http://www.nrl.com/taylor-charged-by...7/default.aspx

That's interesting Titanic. The Couriermail report says he'll miss one if he accepts:

The incident took place during the first half of the Titans’ win over Penrith on Saturday when the representative forward tackled Panthers centre Waqa Blake.

Taylor will miss a game if he accepts the sanction and also if he opts to fight the charge and loses at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday.
    I'm glad he's challenging. There was no intent, open hand, no swinging arm, Waqa lowered into it at the moment of impact as he was mid-step... I've seen worse get off already this season. Would be very unlucky to miss a game.
    Last edited by K2G; 20-04-15 at 04:57 PM.

Would it be crazy to play taylor in the centres again konrad hurrel
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

I have a bit of confidence in our left-side defence this season and think james can do the job on Hurrell ... I'm more worried about them rolling those big forwards over ours and Hoffman (Ryan) sneaking around our right edge ... Titans on the back of a Zillman fg ... always back a man on a roll a Titanic backflip

Quote Originally Posted by toddythetitan View Post
    Would it be crazy to play taylor in the centres again konrad hurrel
    Personally mate I expect guys that are usually picked as centres (in our case Zilly/Hoff and Roberts) to do the job whoever they come up against. There are better centres in the comp than Hurrell - do we change ours whenever they might come up against someone better. I know it's Zilly we are talking about but my point stays the same.

i think Kata is the bigger problem.

Taylor has carry over points & will miss a week with a guilty plea
    #itaintweaktospeak