Retired Presto feeling better than ever

Preston Campbell was always the smallest and toughest bloke on the footy field. He spoke to the Daily Mercury's Luis Narvaez about league, life and wetting a line...

How are you enjoying Mackay?

I love it. I drove up and it was a fair trip. I brought the family with me and I don't mind a long drive (from near the Gold Coast).

My cousin has been up here for about 16 years and my brother now lives up here.

I've done some fishing since I've been here but I'm trying to find the good spots.

Is there still room for the little men in top-level rugby league?

There was a time where the smaller blokes were getting bred out of the game.

But I think it made smaller blokes tougher - they found a way to stay in the game. You look at your Chris Sandow and Adam Reynolds types; they're some of the best players in the competition.

With the interchange rule, if they (the NRL) take (the allowed number of changes) down that'll bring smaller guys into the game. I might even be able to strap the boots back on.

After a long career, how's the body?

It's great! I always said that after a season six to eight weeks off wasn't anywhere near long enough to recover.

Since retiring in 2011, I've felt better than ever. I haven't felt this good since before I started playing (NRL).

Football has been through some recent tragedies, how can the game be part of the solution?

It doesn't matter what sport, we have a great power.

If we have the right message around (mental health) then the young men and young women in footy - or whatever they do - will listen.

I've spoken about depression and told my story to most NRL clubs. The reaction you get is very surprising. The boys in there are living it - the pressure and everything that comes with footy. If it's not home, it's making the team, or making enough money to look after your family.

Sometimes there's so much pressure that they feel if they haven't made it that's the end of their world. The pressure can often be from family, too. How does community footy help?

It's about looking after each other. Rugby league brings so many people together and gives you something to look toward to and build friendships in.

At grassroots, you're still a part of something special just being in a team with your mates.

Best player you played with or against?

It's a tough one.

Rhys Wesser was one of the most exciting I played alongside and Matty Bowen was my favourite to watch.

Back in the day, I really loved Phil Blake. It's tough to nail it on one guy but if I had to say, Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer were the best I played against.

PRESTON MAGIC

 Born in Inverell, NSW on June 7, 1977

 267 NRL matches with Gold Coast, Penrith and Cronulla

 Premiership with Penrith, 2003

 The man of the match in the Indigenous All Stars is named after him

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/