Gold Coast Titans Coast place their trust in young halfback Kane Elgey

CHRIS GARRY THE COURIER-MAIL APRIL 14, 2015 12:00AM

GOLD Coast are placing their trust in Kane Elgey, with Titans coach Neil Henry declaring the club is not targeting any other halves despite losing Aidan Sezer.

Elgey appears set to be Daly Cherry-Evans’ halves partner next year if the Titans can fight off overtures from Manly who have tabled a significant offer.

Henry also spoke out against the speculation that has the club linked to several Sydney players including Parramatta five-eighth Corey Norman. The Titans are juggling complicated roster with captain Nate Myles yet to be made an offer.

Henry told The Courier-Mail they had tabled a “very competitive” offer for Elgey who said his negotiations were in a holding pattern.

“We have tabled an offer for Kane. Manly has tabled an offer too,” Henry said.

“He is a local junior and we would like him to stay and we will be very competitive with what we offer him.

“The only people we have tabled offers for are the guys here. We are not targeting anyone else at the moment.

“He is a boy from our backyard and we would like to keep him. We did try to get Aidan to sign too.

“Daniel Mortimer is contracted for this year and next year too. Kane has played three games now and we have been fortunate enough to win two of them.

“He was still a bit frail defensively on the edge. It is still all new to him. There is no doubt he is talented, but we need to be grounded with him.”

It would make little sense for the Titans to target Norman considering they will pay halfback Cherry-Evans more than $1 million a year from 2016.

The Titans are formally meeting with centre James Roberts and his management this week to work out a contract extension that should be signed off on soon.

The Titans have sounded out several managers to gauge the availability of their players but they are predominantly interested in props and outside backs.

The Titans missed out on Dane Gagai, who re-signed with the Knights, but are interested in Souths fullback Alex Johnston, Broncos props Joe Ofahengaue and George Fai, while there is also speculation linking them to Parramatta prop Darcy Lussick and Roosters winger Daniel Tupou.

“A lot of this is manager driven,” Henry said.

“We have had a few players off contract who we want to sign and we do need to look at our roster moving forward.

“There’s a few names being tossed up. We are behind the scenes talking to some players but most of it is speculation.

“We need to look at cap requirements and value.

“We have loaded up on a marquee signing (Cherry-Evans) as most clubs do and that means we need to get value for money elsewhere.”

Elgey said loved playing under Henry but was unsure where his future was.

“Everyone is having their opinion. It is hard to know (my future) at the moment,” he said.

“The coach believes in me. He tells the truth. He is a great coach.

“I have to take my opportunities because Daniel Mortimer is back next week and he’s a competitor and a good player.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/g...-1227302246813