Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: James Roberts

Default James Roberts

Representative honours await James Roberts

DAN KOCH THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 12, 2015 6:21PM

Twelve months after his NRL career appeared all but over, exciting Titans centre James Roberts is on the verge of representative honours, with NSW City coach Brad Fittler revealing the former bad boy likely to be part of his squad for the annual Origin trial.

While the value of the contest has been widely questioned in recent season, the 2015 City-Country fixture looms as being potentially vital come selection time for Origin I, with a host of Blues backline talent currently under injury clouds.

On top of losing star fullback Jarryd Hayne, NSW coach Laurie Daley has seen Dylan Walker (thumb) and Brett Morris (hamstring) fall to significant injuries — with the issues around the make-up of his backline compounding the issues surrounding the make-up of the Blues halves.

Since helping the Blues to their drought-breaking series win last year, five-eighth Josh Reynolds has battled through a horror period marred by serious form and injury issues, so much so that his position at the Bulldogs is under serious threat from boom Queensland youngster Moses Mbye.

Having seen the carnage caused by the full strength Maroons backline in game III of last year’s series, Daley has openly admitted he will look to add greater offensive potency to his outfit for the 2015 season. And as he proved with his blistering demolition of the Eels on Saturday, Roberts provides that in abundance.

Generally acknowledged to be the fastest player in the game, Roberts has reinvented himself since moving to the Titans midway through last season, having been thrown a lifeline after he was sacked by Souths and Penrith for repeated code of conduct breaches.

Speaking after crossing for three tries in the Titans comfortable win over Parramatta at Pirtek Stadium on Saturday, the 22-year-old said a smoother life off-field was now paying dividends.

“I'm loving it, I look forward to staying there as well,” Roberts said of his time on the Gold Coast.

“I'm loving the off-field lifestyle and I've got a missus now. I'm very settled. It's made a big impact on my life.”

And the lifestyle changes are set to see him further rewarded when Fittler unveils his team for the clash at McDonald’s Park in Wagga Wagga on May 3. While declaring there was still plenty of competition for place in his side, Fittler said Roberts’ blend of speed and power coupled with his natural instincts for the game would make him a handful at any level.

“There's some really good young centres around at the moment. You look at Dylan Walker, James Roberts and Tim Simona,” Fittler said. “This is what we have been looking for a long time, good competition. He (Roberts) certainly has speed and there is no substitute for pure speed.

“James is just an athlete and he has been doing some really good things up at the Titans.”

The likelihood of a rep call-up for Roberts will also help his upcoming contract negotiations with the Gold Coast.

While coach Neil Henry is an unabashed fan, the Titans squad is facing a massive overhaul in the next 12 months, with captain Nate Myles, former skipper Greg Bird and boom halfback Kane Elgey among the list of players rumoured to be looking elsewhere.

Both Elgey and Myles have been linked with a move to the Sea Eagles, with Myles revealing club officials had yet to contact his management since their shock decision not to take up the one-year option they had available to them.

“No decision has been made either way, so as things stand I am still uncontracted for next season,” Myles said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1227300754534

- - - Updated - - -

Posted in SS & R thread but also relevant..

Gold Coast Titans move quickly to lock in speedster James Roberts

TRAVIS MEYN
    GOLD COAST BULLETIN
    APRIL 13, 2015 12:00AM

THE Titans are on the verge of securing slick centre James Roberts to a long-term deal as the excitement machine sets his sights on the Gold Coast’s season tryscoring record.

Roberts bagged a hat-trick in the Titans’ 38-16 demolition of Parramatta on Saturday, taking his season tally to seven from six matches.

David Mead, who plays outside Roberts, holds the club record after scoring 16 tries from 24 games in the wooden-spoon season of 2011.

Roberts has an incredible ability to cross the tryline, having scored 12 times in 18 appearances for the Titans and 23 times in his 33-game career.

The 22-year-old will come up against former club Penrith at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday and the Titans are making moves to ensure he wears a Gold Coast jersey for years to come.

Roberts told the Bulletin recently he was “loving it on the Gold Coast” and ready to commit to the club.

Titans coach Neil Henry will meet with his manager, Daryl Mather, in the coming weeks and said Roberts was definitely a player he wanted to retain.

“We will. He’s on the list to re-sign, for sure,” he said.

“We’ll have to negotiate with his manager. He’s in town in the next few weeks so we’ll start some early talks about that.

“Jimmy’s in no huge rush. He wants to stay and he’s settled here so we’ll end up tabling something for him shortly.”

Roberts used his scintillating speed to pinch two intercepts in the Parramatta game and brute strength to score the other.

But his potency was most visible when he put Mead over in the corner after turning Eels centre Ryan Morgan inside-out.

Roberts’ decision-making is still a work in progress and Henry said he was keen to develop.

“He knows he’s got a fair bit to learn and we’re working on his defence,” Henry said.

“There’s no doubt he’s got some raw ability. He’s quick, elusive and strong.

“It was nice to see him do an in-and-away and give Meady the chance to score a try. He’s got that football sense to do that.”

Titans captain Nate Myles said Roberts was still to realise his potential but was showing great improvements every week.

“He’s improving every day,” he said.

“I don’t think he knows how good he is but it’s a work in progress for Jimmy and it’s good to see he’s moving in the right way.

“It’s good to have on your side.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-1227300871007

James Roberts the most naturally gifted footballer I've seen, says James Segeyaro
    Michael Chammas
    April 15, 2015 - 12:54AM

Penrith hooker James Segeyaro describes him as the most naturally gifted player he has seen on a football field, while Josh Mansour has never seen anyone quicker.

"A freak" is how the Penrith players describe their former teammate James Roberts – the NRL's leading try-scorer after the first six rounds of the season, with seven to his name.

The Panthers know all about what he is capable of producing on a football field, but stopping it is a different story.

Penrith had little choice but to part ways with Roberts last year after a series of off-field misdemeanours, but they know the calibre of footballer the Titans now call their own ahead of the match on the Gold Coast on Saturday.

"Jimmy the jet", as nicknamed by his former teammates, is in career best form coming off a hat-trick against Parramatta last week, but it's no surprise to those closest to him.

"He's a freak – easily the most naturally talented person I've ever seen on a footy field," Segeyaro said of the 22-year-old.

"He's just a freak and the turn of pace ... I've never seen anyone do the stuff he did on the training park. The boys would vouch for me, because he's given a couple of them wind burns, and at NRL level too. The things he can do are eye-opening, we know that, and we have to limit his options."

Before Roberts was sacked from South Sydney and joined the Panthers, he was teammates with Mansour at the Rabbitohs.

Even as a teenager lining up against players two years older than him, Roberts stood out.

That is why a try he scored in a semi-final for the Rabbitohs still lives on so clearly in the memory of Mansour.

"I played with James in the under-20s at Souths as well and I don't think I've ever seen anyone faster," Mansour said.

"It was my last year in 20s when he came up from S.G. Ball at the age of 18. I remember one time he ran 110 metres to score a try in the semi-finals against Canberra. I remember saying 'wow'. This bloke was trapped in-goal but managed to get out of it and run 110 metres to score.

"We always knew he was a freak. We always saw him at training and the stuff he could do, no one else could. The feet he has are unbelievable and we're glad to have him in our game, even if he's no longer here. Everyone knows him now, he's not flying under the radar any more. He's fast, he's strong and if you give him a bit of space he can really hurt you. I'm going to have to be on my toes and Waqa [Blake] needs a big game as well trying to shut him down, but I have full confidence in him."

Roberts had a troubled upbringing and was homeless when he joined the Panthers in 2013.

While Segeyaro, who also had a difficult childhood, was disappointed the club was forced to show him the door, he believes it was a blessing in disguise for the talented centre.

"It was a massive blow for us but it was good for him," Segeyaro said.

"It gave him the chance to mature as a young man and now he's reaping the benefits. It was probably a blessing in disguise for him. He was always going to be successful in rugby league, but it was just dependent on him.

"Rugby league is full of boys with tough upbringing. He's an awesome bloke. I love him. I was pretty close to him and he was a good person to have around. He was always laughing and someone you always needed around to relax the mood. He's obviously matured and now he's a regular first grader."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/p...14-1mkx4v.html

The media are totally responsible for players making quick decisions … however, if the club want him then they should table an offer, set a deadline and have a signed, legally binding last right of response.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

City's James Roberts' diet goes from nothing to something as he enjoys career-best form

April 28, 2015 - 8:00PM
    ichael Carayannis

James Roberts' pre-game diet once consisted of nothing. Literally nothing. The Gold Coast flyer would take to the field without having eaten all day in fear of playing with a full stomach, a habit he started in his teens.

Now ahead of his representative debut, Roberts has revamped his eating habits, which have propelled him to the top of the NRL try-scorer's list as he closes in on a contract extension with the Titans.

"The big [change] has been my diet," Roberts said. "It's really important. I didn't know how important it was until this year. Sometimes, last year, I would be down on energy and I wouldn't eat right or not eat for that day.

"I used to [not eat] sometimes, I don't know [why]. It was something I have been doing since I was 15 going through the juniors. I never felt hungry and didn't want to play on a full stomach. It was a bad habit."

Roberts' diet now consist of "plenty of fruit and yoghurt with some cereal in the morning" and a salad sandwich and pasta before the game. After troubled stints at South Sydney and Penrith, Roberts has found his feet on the Gold Coast and has turned into one of the games most potent attacking weapons. He credits his controlled diet, the relaxed lifestyle and his girlfriend Anna for helping produce his career best form.

"I'm very settled," Roberts said. "I have [Anna] now and it's a very chilled out lifestyle. A lot less traffic. It's pretty good. I can go fishing in my spare time and go to the beach when it's good weather.

"My diet and Anna have kept me in line. I'm growing with confidence as I go on and I hope I can play well. It's a lot easier when my team is going well. We have just found our feet and we're defending well and I've just gone off the back of that."

Off-contract at season's end, Roberts is close to securing a contract extension at the Titans.

"We're pretty close to a deal," Roberts said. "Hopefully [we'll] sort something out. [Staying at the Titans is] what I'm leaning towards. It should be done soon."

Roberts will be joined in the City squad by former Penrith teammates including close friends Waqa Blake and Matt Moylan. Despite originally being named on the wing, he will switch to centre after South Sydney's Dylan Walker was ruled out with injury.

With the likes of Walker and Josh Morris injured, a good performance against Country could see Roberts surge into Origin contention. But the 22-year-old said he is well off a NSW debut.

"It's good to hear but I think I'm a long way yet," Roberts said. "I've only started just having some good form. There are plenty of other good players out there. I'm just happy to be in the City side.

"It's good to be back in the centres, I'm a lot more comfortable there, but I would play anywhere."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugb...28-1muuez.html

come on Jimmy the Jet... run off DCE for the next 4 years and see how quickly you play for Australia.

he sounds like he wants to stay, and we are fast becoming an attractive club to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    come on Jimmy the Jet... run off DCE for the next 4 years and see how quickly you play for Australia.

he sounds like he wants to stay, and we are fast becoming an attractive club to play for.
    Did they photoshop his head on to your body in the picture?

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post

You should see the list of players that have been offered to the club since DCE signed with us. If we signed them all we would almost have an NFL side.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    You should see the list of players that have been offered to the club since DCE signed with us. If we signed them all we would almost have an NFL side.
    Please, I beg of you. Just give it a rest..

Career best form? A career that's 2 seconds old. Im sure he'll get better but match fitness, defence, errors (he's got a error rate that makes Zilly look good). He'll get there but by his admission it's a way off.
    Last edited by teke; 29-04-15 at 01:45 AM.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Career best form? A career that's 2 seconds old. Im sure he'll get better but match fitness, defence, errors (he's got a error rate that makes Zilly look good). He'll get there but by his admission it's a way off.
    Yeah for sure and its good to see that he understands that. He's the in form centre in the competition at the moment though and he's being rewarded for that so good on him.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I absolutely love him. He's the first Titans player ever that has actually engaged my kids (they're 7 and 8). They love GI and JT but have never cared for a Titans player, until now.

- - - Updated - - -

I just noticed that all the players I mentioned there are indigenous, interesting! I doubt there's ever been a time in the game where the games two biggest drawcards were indigenous.

Saw this article yesterday in the Brissie Times:

Positive signs reading this:
    Off-contract at season's end, Roberts is close to securing a contract extension at the Titans.

"We're pretty close to a deal," Roberts said. "Hopefully [we'll] sort something out. [Staying at the Titans is] what I'm leaning towards. It should be done soon."

Quote Originally Posted by nimud View Post
    Saw this article yesterday in the Brissie Times:

Positive signs reading this:

Scroll up buddy.

Can anyone else envision a not too distant future where our team is decimated over the origin period?

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    I just noticed that all the players I mentioned there are indigenous, interesting! I doubt there's ever been a time in the game where the games two biggest drawcards were indigenous.
    I think there could be precedents over the years (eg Simms/Beetson, Daley/Tallis) but that's another debate.

Roberts is emerging as a fine talent but I have to agree that he has a long way to go in the two key areas of defence and positioning his outside man ... also I reckon he slides across field more than his lard-ar$ed predecessor ... and it shouldn't become his stock play.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I think there could be precedents over the years (eg Simms/Beetson, Daley/Tallis) but that's another debate.

Roberts is emerging as a fine talent but I have to agree that he has a long way to go in the two key areas of defence and positioning his outside man ... also I reckon he slides across field more than his lard-ar$ed predecessor ... and it shouldn't become his stock play.
    You could add & i'm not being a racist when I say "The Black Flash" Larry Corowa , political correctness had him being called the Lithgow Flash............ he was a huge draw card for every supporter through the 80's & early 90's
    #itaintweaktospeak