Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: James Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    come on Jimmy the Jet... run off DCE for the next 4 years and see how quickly you play for Australia.

he sounds like he wants to stay, and we are fast becoming an attractive club to play for.
    That last bit sounds so good.....

My first visit to the SCG as a kid down from the Gold Coast included witnessing a flying Johnny King get grassed into touch in the corner (when the corner post meant something) by Kevin YowYeh from the far wing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    My first visit to the SCG as a kid down from the Gold Coast included witnessing a flying Johnny King get grassed into touch in the corner (when the corner post meant something) by Kevin YowYeh from the far wing.
    Now you are showing your age ....
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    That was 1966 or 1967! I was surprised to read Yow Yeh only played for Balmain for two years. He was just before my time but I thought he played longer than that.
    Better get the thread back.......so let's hope Roberts is with us for more than two years.

He used to have a lot of errors and dumb brain-snaps in his game but he seems to be slowly getting them out of his game. He is very guilty of being a bit of a shirt grabber though, he needs to work on his fitness and his D.

Banned

James Roberts will sign with Canberra.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
    Yeah man, I bet he will!

Junior

Sure if he never wants to win a premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansFan92 View Post
    Sure if he never wants to win a premiership.
    But it's a chance to play for the Supercoach - unless he leaves before he gets there.
    A great choice - a Gold Coast winter or a Canberra winter.

lol

Junior

No, no, no, no. Ricky "Sticky" Stewart isn't that dumb. He's saving up all of Canberra's marbles to trade for the Total Package. He trains the house down AND he looks good in front of a camera!

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    You could add & i'm not being a racist when I say "The Black Flash" Larry Corowa , political correctness had him being called the Lithgow Flash............ he was a huge draw card for every supporter through the 80's & early 90's
    You may or may not know Pete that there's an extended interview with Larry on Talkin Sport today from 3pm AEST on 2SM. I think they post the interviews online if you can't catch it.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

James Roberts finds happiness beyond the try-line

Fri 29 May, 2015, 7:00am
    By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent

From the age of five, scoring tries was one of the few things that made James Roberts happy.

He once scored seven tries playing for the under-8 Ballina Seagulls; that was a good day.

After he moved to Sydney and lived with his uncle Amos Roberts, James linked with the La Perouse Panthers and scored hat-tricks in South Sydney district grand final wins in under-15s, 16s and 17s; more good days.

But in between there have been plenty of bad days.

Despite being blessed with genetics that made him the 'fast kid' ever since he learnt how to run, off the field was where James lacked the skills to properly contribute to society.

He knows he did bad things and while regretful, now owns his mistakes, saying that they have shaped the person – the happy person – that he is today.

Less than 12 months since joining the Titans and scoring a try on debut against the Storm, Roberts is eager to turn his third career lifeline into a long-term commitment and see out his playing days on the Gold Coast.

The club is also eager to keep him and as he prepares to face one of his former clubs, South Sydney, on Saturday afternoon, the club and his management are trying to come to an agreement on the terms of his contract.

Doing interviews still doesn't come easy to the 22-year-old but as he discusses all manner of issues relating to football and family for 13 minutes, Roberts never once drops his gaze and says he has realised that to make others happy, he first had to be happy with himself.

"I think that was one of my main downfalls when I was younger. At the start when I came through I was on fire and then once I got some injuries and I was young I didn't know how to cope with it and I was getting frustrated," Roberts tells NRL.com.

"Then I'd go out partying and stuff like that and I thought that my whole family depended on me to provide but now that I'm older I feel like I need to be happy myself in order to be able to help anyone else. I needed to be happy with myself in order to make other people happy.

"I'm very happy and it's only getting better. Hopefully we can sort out this deal soon, I wouldn't mind being a Titan for life from now on. I love being coached by Neil Henry, he's helped me a lot and helped me improve my defence and everything around my game and help me develop more as a man and a person from a boy."

Roberts attributes much of his settled lifestyle to his partner, Anna, and being closer to his family at Ballina once again.

He has three younger brothers who travel north to watch him play at every home game including Kirk, who has muscular dystrophy.

It's one of life's cruel ironies that the man many consider the fastest player in the game has a sibling whose body won't allow him to play the game he loves.

"One of my little brothers has muscular dystrophy so he helps me push harder and try to give him the best life because he absolutely loves footy and he'd do anything to be able to play it as well, so I try to play as hard as I can for him," Roberts says.

"They come to every home game to watch me which means a lot. Growing up I never really had anyone, like my little brothers and sisters. We had not the best upbringing but there are people out there that have had a lot worse but it means a lot to me and it's helped me get through some tough times.

"Now that I'm happy off the field, I've got a missus and settled down and I'm a lot more mature. I was just a kid back then and I made some mistakes which I regret but I don't at the same time.

"I wouldn't be the person I am if I didn't make them but I think it just comes from maturity over the years and having that good lifestyle that I have up here now. It's a lot more chilled out; I don't have to worry about anyone except for my missus and my family and footy."

http://www.nrl.com/james-roberts-fin...2/default.aspx