Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Junior

A couple of things...

1. Mortimer was never going to come back this weekend, he is stilll recovering despite having a training run. All the youngsters need to play well enough to keep their spots (Elgey and Moseley). A Moseley/Mortimer rotation might be fun.

2. Perhaps the hooker rotation aint such a bad thing. I always admired Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink because of his ability to inject energy at crucial times during a game. Moseley coming off the bench when the big forwards are tiring may work ok.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Elgey should never lose his spot to anyone on the Titans books. His form since debut is everything I hoped for, he will get better and better.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Elgey should never lose his spot to anyone on the Titans books. His form since debut is everything I hoped for, he will get better and better.
    Unless he signs with Manly.

Why there is any talk about Mortimer just amazes me … Mortimer in the halves, Mortimer in 9, Mortimer on the bench … it's as bad as Zillman and bloody ridiculous ... he has been average at every club he's been at and we owe him nothing … sign Elgey and stop the friggin' debate.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Why there is any talk about Mortimer just amazes me … Mortimer in the halves, Mortimer in 9, Mortimer on the bench … it's as bad as Zillman and bloody ridiculous ... he has been average at every club he's been at and we owe him nothing … sign Elgey and stop the friggin' debate.
    But he's a Mortimer!!!

Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers
    Cbus Super Stadium Saturday, 3pm

If a week is a long time in rugby league it must feel like an eternity since Round 2 for two teams with vastly different-looking rosters for Saturday's Round 7 clash at Cbus Super Stadium.

When the Titans travelled to Bathurst to play Penrith five weeks ago they did so without the services of Greg Bird, Dave Taylor and Beau Falloon who were under a club-imposed suspension while the injury toll for the Panthers has continued to climb with each week that has passed.

Robert Jennings is the latest Panther to be handed an NRL debut and will partner Waqa Blake in the centres following the season-ending ACL injury to Jamal Idris.

Apisai Koroisau and Isaac John will again fill the positions in the halves vacated by Jamie Soward and Peter Wallace but Elijah Taylor has been named in the forward pack despite suffering a knee injury against Manly last Saturday.

Despite the disruptions to their 17 the Panthers have continued winning to maintain a position in the top eight and boast a highly skilful outfit across the park not reliant on a sole creative hand.

Much of the creativity for the Titans in recent weeks has been courtesy of a couple of former Panthers with James Roberts catapulting himself to the top of the NRL try-scoring tally with seven tries and hooker Kierran Moseley's first grade education progressing quickly.

The Titans have won just one game at home since their Round 6 defeat of the Broncos last year but after breaking the shackles and scoring 38 points against the Eels last week have no better chance to finally give the locals something to cheer about.

Watch Out Titans: They may be without both their first-choice halfback and five-eighth but the key to Penrith's creativity lies with their precociously talented fullback, Matt Moylan. Through six rounds Moylan leads the NRL in both try assists and line-break assists and when his team needed greater input last week he obliged in style, laying on two tries, two line-break assists, making a line break of his own, running for 151 metres and kicking three goals from four attempts. While ever Moylan is playing, the Panthers remain a dangerous outfit.

Watch Out Panthers: It's hardly a state secret but if the Panthers inexperienced halves are thinking about throwing cut-out passes to the left side of the field they might need to reconsider if James Roberts is anywhere in the vicinity. Roberts has used his blistering speed to sprint to the front of the NRL try-scoring tally but he has done so on the back of three intercept tries, two of which came last week against the Eels. If ever a strength could turn into a weakness, expect Panthers coach Ivan Cleary to try to lure the speedster out of the defensive line with a carefully constructed set move that will deliver six points for one team, or the other.

Key Match-up: The respective benches: There is an argument to be made that the Titans have a more settled starting 13 than the Panthers this week but it is the four on the bench where the mountain men may boast something of an edge. Tyrone Peachey is one of the purest footballers in the competition, Sam McKendry is a former Kiwi prop getting back to his best, Reagan Campbell-Gillard could be the biggest 21-year-old in the NRL and Isaah Yeo is a rangy type capable of causing havoc on the edges. Titans coach Neil Henry has named a five-man bench and he'll need to get the make-up just right to match what the Panthers are set to bring from the pine.

History: Played 12; Titans 4; Panthers 8.

The Panthers made it four on the trot against the Titans with their Round 2 40-0 shellacking in Bathurst, the third time in their past four meetings that they had scored at least 36 points. In nine of the 12 matches between these teams the total match points has totalled at least 40 points.

Did You Know: Four Panthers have scored hat-tricks against the Titans, three of whom have spent time at the Gold Coast club. In 2010 current Cowboys fullback Lachlan Coote scored a treble in a losing Panthers team, in Round 25, 2012 injured Titans centre Brad Tighe scored three tries in a 36-24 win for the Panthers and then in Round 17, 2013 the scintillating James Roberts tore the Titans to shreds in a 40-18 win for the mountain men. Former Titan Jamal Idris came back to haunt Gold Coast in Round 2 this year, scoring a hat-trick in the Panthers' big win.

What Are The Odds: Titans $1.93 v Panthers $1.87.

The Titans have been well supported at home and are as popular dollar-wise as the Panthers. There's more money on Gold Coast to win 13-plus than all of Sportsbet's other margin options combined. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au

Match Officials: Referee: Jared Maxwell. Assistant Referee: Chris James. Touch Judges: Adam Reid and Kasey Badger. Video Referees: Steve Clark and Luke Patten.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 3pm.

The Way We See It: A patched-up Panthers were brave in knocking over Manly last week but valour only takes you so far in the NRL. They are decimated by injuries to key players and have what must be the youngest three-quarter line in the competition. Buoyed by a big win over the Eels, the Titans have shown that there was substance to narrow losses early in the season and should play with greater freedom on Saturday. Their recent home record is horrendous but something they are due to overcome. Titans by 10 points.

http://www.nrl.com/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

NRL Preview: Titans v Panthers

The Titans are coming off a dominant victory against the Eels and welcome back Beau Falloon who returns from a two-week suspension as starting hooker. Kierran Moseley makes way, dropping back to the bench while Eddy Pettybourne has been suspended for a week.
    The Panthers come into the match as underdogs despite destroying the Gold Coast 40-0 in Round 2. They have a new-look backline following the season-ending ACL injury to Jamal Idris. The third Jennings brother, Robert, makes his debut in the centres but may have a limited amount of time to prove his value with Dean Whare set to return to the team in the next couple of weeks.

Reason To Watch:
    Nigel Plum v Greg Bird in the middle. Two violent hitters who can change the game with their physicality in the middle.

Reason To Turn Away:
    Isaac John and Apisai Koroisau have looked lifeless in the halves for the Panthers at times. They need to be a bit more creative to ensure some entertaining attacking football.

Lurker Alert: Titans coach Neil Henry is determined to weed out under-performing players to ensure DCE has a half-decent roster to work with in 2016

Final Word: Both sides got back into the winners’ circle with last start victories against under-strength opposition. The Panthers will be slightly weaker this weekend without big Jamal while the Titans will be strengthened by the return of the underrated Beau Falloon at hooker. They’ll be too good for the Panthers in this one, who will struggle with their makeshift halves combination. Titans by 6.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Our chances have plummeted with these blokes tipping us … Titans by 2
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    In the interests of accuracy......the Titans are the wooden spoon favourites then Canberra. Manly, who played Penrith last start are third "favourites" for the spoon. Just had to clear that up.

- - - Updated - - -
    Wow!! I had only heard that Manly were favorites, your post made me check my facts and I took a bit of the $4.50 - $5 that's floating around about the Sea Eagles. Thanks mate, that's overs!! We won't win it, I like the way we are travelling and Canberra are massively under rated. They are playing surprisingly hard for Ricky and will be hard to beat at home when the cold weather sets in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    A couple of things...

1. Mortimer was never going to come back this weekend, he is stilll recovering despite having a training run. All the youngsters need to play well enough to keep their spots (Elgey and Moseley). A Moseley/Mortimer rotation might be fun.

2. Perhaps the hooker rotation aint such a bad thing. I always admired Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink because of his ability to inject energy at crucial times during a game. Moseley coming off the bench when the big forwards are tiring may work ok.
    I agree with both points, especially the second one. Playing Mosely off the bench is playing to his strengths and allows him to use his better service and speed against a tiring defensive line.

If Elgey gets sent back to Q Cup for a few weeks here and there it won't hurt him. Unlike the Cartwright years, we want to be playing as well or better at the end of the year than we are now. Remember how badly we used to fade out of ever season under Carty?? Young Elgey would probably make it to round 16-17 (tops) if he is played every week in his debut year. Same with Mosely and maybe even James Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    For the football fans here on the forum Elgey reminds of James Rodriguez (when he just joined Real Madrid). Initially he was going ok/good nothing special but nothing bad either but game after game he grew and built on and now halfway thru the season James has showed why he is one of the best players in his position. Same thing will happen with Elgey.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

And we now have to contend with poor ticket sales and the southern stand being shut down. Bring on the negative headlines. Happens every week in Sydney but is major news when the Titans have to do it.

Rep Player

I think we got this! Hopefully we use last week as a leaping block to kickstart our season....not to be a downer but given the recent history most of our good wins are followed up by error riddled halves of football and deflating losses. This year we look dangerous in attack and I would love to see us get one back on Penrith after our poor showing earlier this year.

**just double checked the team list.....Falloon starting over Mosely!!!???? still not impressing me with your selections Henry.....**

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    And we now have to contend with poor ticket sales and the southern stand being shut down. Bring on the negative headlines. Happens every week in Sydney but is major news when the Titans have to do it.
    I just read this in the Bully. I am wondering if they meant the north stand instead as far more people generally sit in the southern end than the northern end plus it's closer to the entry from the trains and buses. But you can guarantee if Govt people were involved they will stuff it up.
    Interesting how Stadiums Qld want to make it expensive for hirers yet it's our taxes that built the bloody grounds and pay the wages of Stadiums Qld staff.

Tony Webeck reporting that the last bench spot will be between Paasi and Burr. That's a toughie..

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I just read this in the Bully. I am wondering if they meant the north stand instead as far more people generally sit in the southern end than the northern end plus it's closer to the entry from the trains and buses. But you can guarantee if Govt people were involved they will stuff it up.
    Interesting how Stadiums Qld want to make it expensive for hirers yet it's our taxes that built the bloody grounds and pay the wages of Stadiums Qld staff.
    i think it is the southern. whichever end is to the right of the western stand. i have a mate that is a member and he is getting upgraded to western stand seats for this game.