Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

I'm just happy to be reading arguments over whether a pass was forward or not instead of who needs to be dropped for next week...
    We have the Mead, the Mead for speed!!!

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    He pivots off his left foot for a left handed pass. Hands at best are flat at release. Ball travels 4-5 metres forward with momentum???? If it was any other team you'd be screaming forward pass.

Any physicists out there want to calculate what speed Elgey would have to be running for a ball to travel 4.5m forward from it's starting point after been thrown backwards?
    It's allowed to travel forward with momentum!!!!!

Can't you read the 'Rule' and watch the instructional video JB? If it wasn't allowed to go forward across the ground every player would have to stop and only pass while stationary.

Anyway, nobody's going to convince you otherwise if you don't want to see it. Just don't whinge if Elgey has his game stifled.

And for the record I would have called that a 'good' pass whoever threw it cos I hate the ignorance about the 'rule'.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    It's allowed to travel forward with momentum!!!!!

Can't you read the 'Rule' and watch the instructional video JB? If it wasn't allowed to go forward across the ground every player would have to stop and only pass while stationary.

Anyway, nobody's going to convince you otherwise if you don't want to see it. Just don't whinge if Elgey has his game stifled.

And for the record I would have called that a 'good' pass whoever threw it cos I hate the ignorance about the 'rule'.
    I understand what momentum is.

I watched your video, I've read the rule. I was there. I sit on the 50m line. Did you notice in your video how the example pivots off his right foot for the right to left pass. Pivoting off your left foot doesn't enable your hands to go backwards. Did you notice how in your video the ball travels 2 metres forward not the 4 to 5m in this instance.

I truly believe that this will end Elgey's career. Now that he thinks he might get pinged for forward passes I'm sure he'll retire before the next game.

And for the record, my wife said it was forward and shes never wrong, just ask her.

Junior

I'll agree to disagree, but now you've brought in the big guns I'm not going on with this debate. I know when I'm beaten!
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Good debate lads but older than the rule itself which is why it is there in the first place ... several facts:

(1) it was judged forward at the time and we cannot change it,
    (2a) the touchie was a woman
    (2b) JB's missus has spoken and
    (2c) mine asked 'are you allowed to throw it forwards?'

and as everybody knows your next beer or night out could well depend on how you respond to a, b and c.

I add that for all you physicists out there do not argue momentum of a football with a Chinese professor of physics (that's my girl) who's response was a sniff, a nose in the air and 'how can you spend so much time watching grown men chasing a mis-shapen ball around the place?'

She also offered this classic: 'why is the man who controls the game always too small to play the game?'

Slightly off topic but I thought Mrs. Badger went alright too.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Ahh... Finally some humour to soften the mood.