Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Dude, it was forward a mile. It was a terrible pass out of the hands and momentum only takes it so far. The Titans fan in front of me made the comment we were lucky not to be penalised for an intentional forward pass. Anyway....
    Hmm I will watch it again. We are up high but were not in line so had to rely on the screen and our thoughts at the time were if that was forward then there will be plenty of others pulled up. I only caught the fox commentators view partially but I thought they believed it was ok.
    Doesn't matter I suppose when we won as well as we did. Regardless of whether the pass was forward or not I reckon the best thing is that Elgey is gaining the confidence to throw it in the first place.

Yes have to agree that it was clearly forward having watched it again yesterday but also agree that the bloke that threw it has the licence to throw a few line-balls, it's what we have been craving or at least I have. Some other observations:

1. The left side looks so much better without Bird in it, how strange? The defence seems more coherent and the attack fluent except for the TP's inability to pass on the run ... catch and pass okay but his lateral view is very ordinary.

2. Can the same be said for the right side with Bird over there? Yes it can to some extent with the defence a lot better but the attack still needs a bit of work and has to improve once Roberts works out he has a scoring machine outside him.

3. Both fullbacks seem to have worked out that if they nack-up on the left then they will be put into holes but not on the right = Elgey > Sezer and how much better that will be Backflip still comes.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think that pass ended up so forward that it will always get called as such, even though It was fairly flat out of the hands.

It happens heaps when blokes throw long traditional passes that aren't spirals. It's not momentum, but sometimes the way the wrists flick, or hand releases it gives the ball a real hooping arc.

Hope that makes sense.

Sure DB, it's a matter of physics but in this case 'flat' would be the best he could get
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    I think that pass ended up so forward that it will always get called as such, even though It was fairly flat out of the hands.

It happens heaps when blokes throw long traditional passes that aren't spirals. It's not momentum, but sometimes the way the wrists flick, or hand releases it gives the ball a real hooping arc.

Hope that makes sense.
    Elgey's pass was backward out of the hands. This quick video explains it. The call on saturday was wrong, wrong, wrong and I hate that refs bugger these fantastic plays up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stupid View Post
    Elgey's pass was backward out of the hands. This quick video explains it. The call on saturday was wrong, wrong, wrong and I hate that refs bugger these fantastic plays up.

i dont agree with that vid, players just need to throw the ball backwards. Its actually a simple task
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Junior

Now watch the Elgey pass...it's identical to the example. Kimmorley and Walters both call it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-H_zVHqGo

@ 19mins 30secs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    i dont agree with that vid, players just need to throw the ball backwards. Its actually a simple task
    In both the instructional video and the Elgey pass the ball is being passed backwards. I can't believe it's so difficult to see.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Now watch the Elgey pass...it's identical to the example. Kimmorley and Walters both call it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-H_zVHqGo

@ 19mins 30secs

- - - Updated - - -

In both the instructional video and the Elgey pass the ball is being passed backwards. I can't believe it's so difficult to see.
    Its easy to see i just dont agree
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I agree with you, Elgey definitely passed the ball backwards out of his hands. I guess the problem is when the ball travels so far forward over such a long distance (I reckon it went 4 metres forward) but as the rules stand, that should have been play on.
    Old Warren Ryan used to use the example that if you are running at pace and throw the ball back over your shoulder it lands forward of where you passed it. Goes backwards out of the hands but sometimes it is impossible to have the ball actually travel backwards.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I agree with you, Elgey definitely passed the ball backwards out of his hands. I guess the problem is when the ball travels so far forward over such a long distance (I reckon it went 4 metres forward) but as the rules stand, that should have been play on.
    Old Warren Ryan used to use the example that if you are running at pace and throw the ball back over your shoulder it lands forward of where you passed it. Goes backwards out of the hands but sometimes it is impossible to have the ball actually travel backwards.
    That's right MT.

If fans, players and (most importantly) refs do not understand that a legal pass can travel forward over the ground then you can kiss goodbye to the spectacle of a speeding half throwing a bulliting pass to a rampaging winger because it will always go forward over the ground in that dynamic situation.

That will be a huge loss. We saw exactly how that will be when the refs spoilt the Elgey/Don piece of footballing brilliance on Saturday. For me, the best bit of footy in that game.

It's crucial that everyone be educated on this.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Yep. And the reason I made a big deal out of it is that Elgey is so good he is going to throw a lot of these. The refs need to learn the rules.

I'm with stupid. I thought backwards out of the hands, and still do after multiple re-watches.

The Rule:

The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high, lobbed pass.

Also, how good is this

http://script height="384px" width="...TdwwZk30Gq38k"

Urrghh... I can't seem to embed videos from the titans website. Click to view

He pivots off his left foot for a left handed pass. Hands at best are flat at release. Ball travels 4-5 metres forward with momentum???? If it was any other team you'd be screaming forward pass.

Any physicists out there want to calculate what speed Elgey would have to be running for a ball to travel 4.5m forward from it's starting point after been thrown backwards?
    Last edited by JunctionBlock; 20-04-15 at 06:19 PM.

LG is well known for that wide ball so expect a lot more of it. I remember in 20's last year he gifted Brian Kelly an insane number of tries with those massive passes. That pass along with his dummy are his trademarks.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    He pivots off his left foot for a left handed pass. Hands at best are flat at release. Ball travels 4-5 metres forward with momentum???? If it was any other team you'd be screaming forward pass.

Any physicists out there want to calculate what speed Elgey would have to be running for a ball to travel 4.5m forward from it's starting point after been thrown backwards?
    I can only comment, based on the angle provided by fox sports. If those at the ground said it looked forward from side on, then I defer to their call. But both commentators would've been side on, and they called backwards/line-ball [EDIT: Kevie Walters was right in line and his view was 'not forward at all ... went back from the hands' ... then again, he also said it didnt float forward haha]

How far the ball travels forward in the air because of momentum is irrelevant. I've re-watched frame by frame. You can say line-ball at best, but i say line ball at worst. Relative to himself, the ball went backwards. That is all that matters. He threw the exact same ball in the nines for a try to KFFL and that ball travelled even further forward in the air.

I think the rules are worded specifically to ensure those passes that float forward are not blown by the reff. Ultimately it's a 50/50 call, and personally I'd like to see those calls go towards the attacking team, regardless of which team it is. Makes for more exciting footy IMO.
    Last edited by K2G; 20-04-15 at 06:57 PM.