Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default DISCUSSION: Sezer or Elgey? Who to re-sign?

Since talk has been slow this weekend, I thought this would be a good discussion point while waiting for the next game. At this point in time who would you resign to partner DCE in the halves, Elgey or Sezer? I'd love it if we could keep both but realistically we will lose one or worst case maybe both.

Taking all things into consideration my vote goes to Sezer. Here are some positives of both:

Sezer-
    •Can be a match winner at time for us by pulling off a big try or play at crucial times
    •One of the best goal kickers in the game and this incredible ability keeps us in games or wins it for us
    •After 4 years in the squad he is becoming a fan favourite and a leader

Elgey-
    •A Gold Coast junior who has come through the ranks
    •Promising player with a bright future who could become one of the top halves in the game

No doubt it would be disappointing losing a GC junior like Elgey but if I had to choose one RIGHT NOW to re-sign it'd be Sezer. However, I wouldn't pay overs for him. $350-$400k would be reasonable for someone like him.

Ask me in a few weeks and I may go the opposite way but for now it is Sezer. Unlike Aidan, Elgey is still unproven for me and will need to step up in the next few weeks and prove he deserves a contract. I'm not saying Sezer is a world beater but he has been good for us in the past and could easily form a good partnership with DCE in my opinion.

What's everyone else's opinion? I'm expecting the majority to go the other way.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

Yes mate I will go the other way. One reason mainly - when i ask myself who is likely to be the best player within the next year or so. I think that is LG so that's why he is my choice. Already I think he is a fan favourite as well.

No brainer for me...Elgey!
    He has an x-factor that Sezer does not have at present...to me when I reflect on this I believe Elgey shows greater speed and ability to engage the defence...do doubt he is raw but given time will get better and better with his composure and decision making.
    My only caution to this thinking is a major injury that can effect speed and confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Titan4Life View Post
    Since talk has been slow this weekend, I thought this would be a good discussion point while waiting for the next game. At this point in time who would you resign to partner DCE in the halves, Elgey or Sezer? I'd love it if we could keep both but realistically we will lose one or worst case maybe both.

Taking all things into consideration my vote goes to Sezer. Here are some positives of both:

Sezer-
    •Can be a match winner at time for us by pulling off a big try or play at crucial times
    •One of the best goal kickers in the game and this incredible ability keeps us in games or wins it for us
    •After 4 years in the squad he is becoming a fan favourite and a leader

Elgey-
    •A Gold Coast junior who has come through the ranks
    •Promising player with a bright future who could become one of the top halves in the game

No doubt it would be disappointing losing a GC junior like Elgey but if I had to choose one RIGHT NOW to re-sign it'd be Sezer. However, I wouldn't pay overs for him. $350-$400k would be reasonable for someone like him.

Ask me in a few weeks and I may go the opposite way but for now it is Sezer. Unlike Aidan, Elgey is still unproven for me and will need to step up in the next few weeks and prove he deserves a contract. I'm not saying Sezer is a world beater but he has been good for us in the past and could easily form a good partnership with DCE in my opinion.

What's everyone else's opinion? I'm expecting the majority to go the other way.
    Sezer is not a match winner who can pull off a big try. Yes he has scored some tries in crucial moments but they weren't down to his creativity or a big play from him - he just finished it off.

LG get's my vote as well. I'm a huge fan of Aidan and clearly my username proves that but realistically he hasn't improved enough since his last re-signing to warrant an upgraded contract.

You've forgotten a large amount of Pro's about LG.
    -Re-signing our most promising junior ever sends a message that we are ABLE to and WANT to progress home-grown talent to the NRL. This in turn creates opportunities in..
    Marketing: What better way to market to the Gold Coast public than use one of their own? Kane Elgey lives and breathes the Gold Coast. Then consider who he is partnering - DCE, the Queensland golden boy, partnering the Gold Coast's golden boy...opportunities are endless.
    Recruitment: This one's easy. Re-sign LG, Gold Coast juniors realise we are serious about junior retention and that we have credible progression systems. Set the precedent, the players will follow suit.

Kane is our most creative half since Princey and we would be crazy to let him go. He wouldn't demand the $$ that Sezer would and looks to be the more promising footballer.

It's going to be disappointing if we end up with Mortimer. I can't see us matching an offer for Sezer. The fact the contract negotiations are on hold with him will leave doubt in LG's mind as to whether or not he will get a starting spot at the Titans which he is being offered at Manly.

I'm hoping for Elgey as well. If there really is a youth program then I don't see how they can say no to him. It'll be good for our junior retention too and may stop Brisbane signing our juniors.

This is a no brainer. We keep Elgey. Sezer is often injured and his best attribute is his kicking which DCE will control anyway.

Tough one. Right now Sezer is more experienced and could be a good foil for DCE. But then I remember that DCE was a rookie and walked straight into Manly after a year in Q Cup and won a premiership in his first year. If we can keep Elgey and develop him this year he could be anything playing alongside DCE.
    Keep Elgey.

Junior

Yes Elgey for me for all the above pros and I think Aiden is keen to get back to Sydney. Sezer a fan favourite? I find him a little dour.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

Elgey for me too ... for most of the reasons already stated plus there is something about playing for your home team when you're a kid and that passion is lacking in our club ... we need a whole bunch of that.

Plus this debate ignores the other young hopefuls we are developing who will factor into this debate eventually too. Sezer would be okay to keep but in the long term he will always be a transient.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Well hasnt elgey been offered an extension and rejected hopefully we dont go thru another friendy scenario, not to keen on corey norman coming to us just think the gc has to many temptations he might dabble into I would go with egley for the futue and marketability I think sezers kicing game has hidden how poor his running game and decision making is atm id like to offload mortimer and think Hazzard can provide the same spark off the bench similiar to what kodi nikorima offers the broncos
    Nathan friend my all time favorite titan

I want to sign Elgey too.

sezer has shown a little this year, but despite having the best career goal kicking average in the nrl, that's not enough. Elgey will crest more points through tries than sezer can score with goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Sezer is not a match winner who can pull off a big try. Yes he has scored some tries in crucial moments but they weren't down to his creativity or a big play from him - he just finished it off.

LG get's my vote as well. I'm a huge fan of Aidan and clearly my username proves that but realistically he hasn't improved enough since his last re-signing to warrant an upgraded contract.

You've forgotten a large amount of Pro's about LG.
    -Re-signing our most promising junior ever sends a message that we are ABLE to and WANT to progress home-grown talent to the NRL. This in turn creates opportunities in..
    Marketing: What better way to market to the Gold Coast public than use one of their own? Kane Elgey lives and breathes the Gold Coast. Then consider who he is partnering - DCE, the Queensland golden boy, partnering the Gold Coast's golden boy...opportunities are endless.
    Recruitment: This one's easy. Re-sign LG, Gold Coast juniors realise we are serious about junior retention and that we have credible progression systems. Set the precedent, the players will follow suit.

Kane is our most creative half since Princey and we would be crazy to let him go. He wouldn't demand the $$ that Sezer would and looks to be the more promising footballer.
    Match winner might have been an exaggeration but he has definitely kept us in games in the last few years. Last year he, along with Meady, won us the Broncos game through his own CREATIVITY by having the brains to strip it. Also in the Knights game this year we were playing average until he stepped up up and scored a double.

I agree with your second paragraph, Sezer has not been a world beater. However, I must ask what Elgey has done to deserve a contract to be starting half? Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of LG but he hasn't exactly proved he is a world beater either.

I just see Sezer forming a great combo with DCE. Aidan is a take-the line-on, running half which would complement DCE's tactical style. Kinda like Foran/DCE.

One must ask, Sezer has shown glimpses of what we all know he is capable of. Has his inconsistency been due to the fact he has been playing around a crappy team? Would he have more consistency playing around a team like South Sydney or the Roosters?

I'd like to see us keep both LG and Sezer but there is a low chance of that happening.
    #iwillneverwalkaway

QLD Cup

I'd go with LG as well. If only to try out another 20s player of the year. We have already tried Henry and Sezer neither have come up trumps. third time lucky?

Elgey easy
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

people get caught up in the dce / foran could be dce / sezer thing cos sezer and foran both run alot...but Foran can then evaluate and pass to the correct player with a short or longish ball.

Sezer is just a running player, which is a shame when he has really good passing skills.