Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stop making excuses and team up with Titans

Stop making excuses and team up with Gold Coast Titans
    TRAVIS MEYN COMMENT GOLD COAST BULLETIN

DEAR Gold Coast, why will you not support the Titans?

Nearly three years ago, the Bulletin ran a very similar column as the Gold Coast’s NRL team reached a critical point in its history. Crowds were falling and its future under threat as the team’s results deteriorated.

Many believed the end was near. Somehow, the Titans are still running around and having a real crack at NRL success.

The problem is, few on the Coast seem to care. A crowd of just 15,432 turned out at Cbus Super Stadium on Good Friday for the annual local derby against the Broncos and many were Brisbane fans. The smallest crowd the fixture has ever attracted was 20,067 in 2012.

The weather was poor and the public holiday probably had an adverse affect. But to have a near half-empty stadium for what has become the biggest game of the season was concerning.

So tell me, why won’t you watch the Titans play?

The biggest factor for me is access to the Robina venue.

Unless you live near a train station it can be difficult to get to and Gold Coasters don’t enjoy catching public transport. But building a carpark is not the answer to the problems. It would be a nightmare to get in and out and someone needs to fund a multimillion-dollar development for little return.

The restrictions on taking food and drinks into the stadium is also ridiculous but that won’t change. Adding to access issues is the club’s poor results.

When the Titans were the new kids on the block back in 2007, crowds were tremendous. Averages of 21,489 in 2007 at Carrara and 21,618 in the first year at Robina in 2008 were something to be proud of.

They have dropped consistently since then with 19,178 in 2009, 17,877 in 2010, 15,428 in 2011, 14,405 in 2012, 14,028 in 2013 and 13,194 last year.

What has also plummeted with the crowds is the club’s on-field success. They are yet to win at home in three games this season and have won just once at Cbus since the Broncos April 11 match last year.

Making the effort to get to the stadium to watch your team lose isn’t attractive. But is that the only reason the club’s support has dwindled? Tickets couldn’t be any more affordable, especially with children free with an adult.

The NRL has guaranteed the long-term survival of the club and its board is working overtime to make the Titans brand successful.

The future looks bright and there is no reason this club couldn’t win a premiership in the next five years. There’s just one problem – will you be there to see it?

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I have had several conversations with different people recently about the plight of the Titans and my unwavering support of them. Each person has an opinion of the Titans that is similar to that embarrassing relative that everyone is unwilling to acknowledge and therefore question why I go to the games to support a losing team.
    We have some usual banter as to the reasons why they are in the position they are both on and off the field but I am unchallenged when I say that I don't want to lose a a rugby league team on the Gold Coast...I just don't want to go to Brisbane to watch a game of NRL and heaven forbid support the Broncos. I feel people are far too quick to forget how hard it was to get a team back on the Gold Coast in the NRL...they don't just hand NRL licences out in cereal packs.
    Put simply if you want NRL quality rugby league on the coast then you need to support it...or simply you will lose it.
    It has taken many years and many reasons to get to the position we are now and it will take just as long to get ourselves out of the situation we are in (avoiding further setbacks in the process). I have faith in what I am seeing thus far with the board as it is at the moment and in Henry as coach. However, I would like to have someone with significant marketing experience on the board.
    Anyway...I generally come out on top in my banter regarding the Titans after I play the "support it or lose it" card...but that does not mean I have convinced them to come to the games...that is a harder task for many of the reasons mentioned in the article.

Junior

You got to win games to get the support. I myself will always be at as many home games I can make as well as many of the away games. Not to mention the almost 7 figure sum I will be investing into the club if plans in the works happen.

I think alot to do with it is cost. If you have a family and pay for tickets and food its gets expensive real fast. I am not sure what they allow into the stadiums food wise but i imagine it cannot be pre packaged stuff. Alot of Family's are struggling living day to day so it is hard, it is the same across all codes crowds are down. But yeah wining games helps aswell, but that will come with time
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Totally agree about costs...and therefore I fully support the Titans playing hard ball with Stadiums Queensland regarding costs.
    To add further to my post earlier...even if you don't support the Titans and your a local who supports another NRL team and love rugby league then if you don't come to the games you won't be able to see your team play on the Gold Coast.

Just reading some of the posts on Facebook regarding the same article and it's the same complaints. Public transport for people with young families and cost of food at the venue.

I have teenage kids so public transport isn't an issue for me but larger families with younger kids or the elderly do have issues. So why not have stadium drop off like at Suncorp. I don't see the point of the buses dropping people off up the top in the train carpark.

As for the food issue. If the GCCC own the area surrounding the stadium and they want to help, why not allow food trucks like they have at festivals to set up outside the precinct? When the bond uni cafe is open that place goes off because they offer cheap food and deals. Would also make it a family affair if it's like a Miami Marketta, keep the wife happy and get a footy game in at the same time. Save on the stadium costs by them not opening the food venues or even better, don't have food in the stadium and people can bring in whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Just reading some of the posts on Facebook regarding the same article and it's the same complaints. Public transport for people with young families and cost of food at the venue.

I have teenage kids so public transport isn't an issue for me but larger families with younger kids or the elderly do have issues. So why not have stadium drop off like at Suncorp. I don't see the point of the buses dropping people off up the top in the train carpark.

As for the food issue. If the GCCC own the area surrounding the stadium and they want to help, why not allow food trucks like they have at festivals to set up outside the precinct? When the bond uni cafe is open that place goes off because they offer cheap food and deals. Would also make it a family affair if it's like a Miami Marketta, keep the wife happy and get a footy game in at the same time. Save on the stadium costs by them not opening the food venues or even better, don't have food in the stadium and people can bring in whatever they want.

Great ideas. Send them to the Titans and let us know what they say!!!
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Yep good idea about the food. Instead of shutting down gates and stands, shut down the food venders and allow any food in.

I know a lot of people use the excuse of over priced rubbish food on offer at the Stadium. But we soon learnt it was a lot better to head off to the Westfield Food Court at Helensvale a hour earlier before we wanted to arrive at the game and go with whatever food we wanted at the time. Then once done, just head on over to the Helensvale Train Station a couple of hundred yards away. That way once at the Stadium we're only buying drinks there..

I know everyone doesn't have that option, but it works a treat because you're not being ripped off for one, 'n you're dining in a food court where they compete for your business.

We're the same Toads. Can't afford stadium food so we always eat before hand or after the game pending time. Kids usually smuggle a bag of lollies in their pockets, as they only check bags, so they're kept happy and we typically bring in water in summer and hot chocolates in thermos flasks in winter. Couple that with season passes and it's as cheap as going to the movies.

i think we have to earn attendance through performance and trust.

its not a matter of saying 'ok we will be a team you can support starting...now'. the performance and trust has to come first for most, as we are fighting for indifferent fans and they wont just turn up because we ask them too.

Same as the silly letter in the bulletin today, a marketing thing last year where we almost 'shamed' people into feeling like they should come, and basically every post from J King on the FB page. yelling at people in CAPS isnt going to get them to come...the people he's bullying in those posts and harassing are more likely to toss it in all together than come to a game if they are going to get hammered on top of everything else. we need to massage those people into coming...not berate them.

earn the crowds organically and they will stay for good, and appreciate the journey. the quicker we get people on board now with gimmicks and free passes...the quicker they fall off again.

as for food, transport etc...its a factor...but not really. last time food was cheap at the footy or cinemas we were still called the Chargers. The prices didnt bother people in 2008 - 2010. its everything else. i dont think they could hold your hand much more for transport tbh. they need more buses and trains perhaps at times...but i think alot of people aren't COMPELLED to go to the footy, and they are enough wishy washy reasons that they can place it on. If the team just made a night at the footy so irresistable, fans would pack sandwiches, eat elsewhere beforehand, or just generally find a way to eliminate food as an excuse.

We need people to feel compelled to come.

also...our crowds aren't as crap as people lead us to believe. we weren't in the bottom 5 club average crowds last year...and were only a few hundred fans per game behind a reigning premier foundation club that should have generations of fans following it.

Two of the clubs we were ahead of, Manly and Cronulla, have been around for 50 odd years, one of which was in the previous years grand final.

the comp average was 15.6k and we average 13.1k... and before people say that our numbers were fudged...almost every team is bumping there numbers.

of course we want a hell of a lot better, and we wont get there comparing ourselves to the lowest teams, but its important to remember that we are far from a disgrace when you look at the comp as a whole.

the reason its of concern to us more than others is because our stadium deal is so crippling that we need such bigger crowds to make a profit.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^^ Then maybe the next deal that gets hammered out by the NRL includes televised blackouts for local areas unless the stadium is sold out like they do/did for the cricket.

^^^^ Then maybe the next deal that gets hammered out by the NRL includes televised blackouts for local areas unless the stadium is sold out like they do/did for the cricket.
    yeah i reckon mate. but while it was standard for a while, i reckon the public would cry so loud it wouldn't get off the ground.

Junior

Would also make it a family affair if it's like a Miami Marketta, keep the wife happy and get a footy game in at the same time.
    A thousand times THIS! There's so much empty land around the stadium, surely a deal could be worked out where a "Titanic Market" (or some other gimmicky name) could be held on game day. Throw in some live music, a "movie in the park" for the kids, a bunch of Titans-related contests, prize draws and all that sort of thing. Make it something that people want to come to independently of the game, and once they're there, at least some portion of the crowd will stick around for the game.

If the reason that people don't to games is because of the food then they must be a desperate fat farks … surely you go to the footy for the footy and if people aren't turning up then it's because the footy stinks … our footy has stunk, end of story.

Certainly fix the stadium issue but getting the people back is about the brand of footy we serve-up not the chips.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.